Suck it Luke!

Luke aka ?Evo rules your world!? aka ?ChargedVette02? and I have an ongoing argument about twin clutch transmissions... or as he calls them "automatics". I say they are the future and offer a huge performance upgrade from manuals (as seen by almost all present super car manufacturers, Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc). He's defense goes something like "blah blah teh blah Viper ACR blah blah I HAS EVO".

This dispute has been going on for well over a year and after reading this article I just wanted to say SUCK IT LUKE? and restart the argument.

Have you EVER seen a 3500lb car with only 340hp do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds and a ? mile in the low 12?s? This shows how AWD and a DSG transmission can own. Imagine if Subaru got their act together....

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q1/2011_audi_rs3_sportback-first_drive_review

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I can't wait for this one. :D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Oh boy I hope the forum don't go down until I see this one. :))

Ok, building argument right now of why automatics aka T-SST's and the like are not as "good" as manuals. Hopefully site work doesn't happen before I post again.

Fastest production car around the ring has a 6 speed MANUAL gear box.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT2

2nd fastest production car around the ring has a 6 speed MANUAL gear box.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Viper_GTR_ACR#Viper_ACR

3rd fastest production car around the ring not counting Nissans lie of a time for the R35 GTR has a 6 speed MANUAL gear box.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C6_ZR1

All that the DSG type gearboxes offer in a PRODUCTION car is a crutch for bad drivers and broken $20k transmissions from using the built in launch control. I wonder why you don't hear about GT2 RS', ZR1's and ACR Vipers breaking transmissions... ;-)

Times are all that matter, game, set and match for this argument. That was quick and painless. :)

You're comparing different platforms, I think the most definitive answer would be a simple comparison of a model that offers a slushbox as an option such as the 997 911 TT. Time differences in the same model with the same driver would eliminate all other variables.

I'm drunk so I could be wrong but lets put it like this. Porsche doesn't offer the GT2 or GT3 in anything but a manual transmission. 'Nuff said! The regular 997 turbo times don't compare to the GT2's and are still slower than the GT3's.

My point before was Ferraris, Lambos and the like can't touch the 3 cars I listed (2 of which cost much much less than the aforementioned) while using the "latest" and "greatest" technology.

My point is that the manufacturer may not believe that the technology is strong enough to handle the power, not that it doesn't perform. In fact, people shred the slushboxes pretty regularly. the new audi hatch has some great acceleration times, most of which I attribute to the slushbox. Give it some time to work out the engineering kinks. This is a technology I think will produce results.

It's proven in F1 but why would you want this in your street/track day car? I would rather slam through the gears all day long and be 1/10th of a second slower than an Evo with a DSG. What fun is hitting paddles on your daily commute or your 4 track day events a year? The tech will for sure be superior so I guess Jared wins the argument but at this time manual still pwns based on production car track times.

Right form Jeremy Clarkson. (Start at 4:20 lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlvQLQTtOmk

Dude, I'm right with you, notice the slanderous term "slushbox." Low performance clutchless cars are for bitches. Now I'll never make fun of F1 cars for going to this system, nor will I rag on professional rally cars because I've seen how much of a difference it makes. slushboxes on slow street cars is fail imo. I love making fun of "tiptronic" cars and the like because they're a stupid imitation.

Woot, now Jared needs to get in here so we can both pwn his face with our knowledges! Bout to text him since he text me at work baiting me into this thread. :lol:

:shrug: I've been drinking a bitt too myself. And honestly, with my power goals, I may end up with a crazy slushbox built to handle 800+ whp with ease to improve my lap times.

My buddies Twin Turbo Lingenfelter C5 Corvette was always faster than my Supercharged C5 even though we were both putting out close to the same amount of power. (until he upgraded even more lol) The difference is he was/is running a fucking automatic. Eliminating human error usually = faster times.

If I'm not getting paid to race and therefore produce, I want to bang through the gears, simple as that.

That brings up another nasty debate.

I think turbo > supercharger when it comes to power.

When it comes to reliability and gas milage I'm convinced a supercharger is better.

After having a Supercharged Corvette with instant powwwwwaaaaa I don't know mang, I had all the low and high end power you could want with no lag. My vette was highly unreliable though lol. My old ladies Slobalt SS/SC has insta powwwa as well but it's stock so still slow but compared to a non 265 hp wrx it feels faster in all aspects.

Bah, I drink a six pack a night.

Six pack? Shit man, when I was at Apple and hatting (sp?) life I would drink almost 20 bottles of Bud a night lol. I didn't drink for 3 months to prove to the lady friend (and parents) I dont' have a drinking problem and now I have drank 6 tonight and feeling good. Crazy how it effects you after so little time off.

Paul.c

Where is the argument Luke?

Here is my .02. I do believe that our 6mt and 5mt transmissions will be obsolete someday. I also like the fact that it still takes skill to drive a manual car competitively. I do not like that any idiot can jump into a 300+ HP car with a flappy paddle gear box and have the exact same time or faster than my 6mt. It's not the driver that is faster it's the car in that case. Before anyone brings up f1, just remember that those are teh fastest cars in the world, and to drive as fast as they do it wouldn't be logical to have a manual gearbox. Fuck the future! I'm with Luke.