Do strut bars work?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
The question is pretty simple. Do strut bars work? Here is the definition below:

A strut bar, strut brace, or strut tower brace (STB) is a mostly aftermarket car suspension accessory usually used in conjunction with MacPherson struts on monocoque or unibody chassis to provide extra stiffness between the strut towers.
With a MacPherson strut suspension system where the spring and shock absorber are combined in the one suspension unit, the entire vertical suspension load is transmitted to the top of the vehicle's strut tower, unlike a double wishbone suspension where the spring and shock absorber may share the load separately. In general terms, a strut tower in a monocoque chassis is a reinforced portion of the inner wheel well and is not necessarily directly connected to the main chassis rails. For this reason there is inherent flex within the strut towers relative to the chassis rails.
A strut bar is designed to reduce this strut tower flex by tying two parallel strut towers together. This transmits the load of each strut tower during cornering which ties the two towers together and reduces chassis flex. To accomplish this effectively (especially on MacPherson strut suspensions), the bar must be rigid throughout its length, and also attached to the firewall.

So now the question is do they work on the WRX or STi?

Data coming soon!

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
^^^ +1

The only reason I have one is to fill the space with something pretty :lol:

icudruln

+1 I did my research and got feedback from a few members here and they're not worth the cost. If you found them used, then maybe. Spend it on bushings or braces instead.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well since I'm not going to do strut braces now and I'm saving for my AST 4100's what else would be a good suspension mod? Should I do a brace? And what brace or bushings would you change?

icudruln

Well since I'm not going to do strut braces now and I'm saving for my AST 4100's what else would be a good suspension mod? Should I do a brace? And what brace or bushings would you change?

It really depends what you're looking for, and obviously cost. Strut braces run around $160-$170 a piece. If I was looking to spend roughly $340, I'd probably get the ALK and the rear chassis bridge.

Camber Plates (since you're doing coilovers)
Anti Lift Kit
Rear Lateral Links
Trailing Links
Rear Chassis Bridge/X Brace
Roll Center Adjustment Kit
Rear Subframe Bolts
Transmission Crossmember Bushings
Fender Braces
Rear Diff Lock Bushings
Lightweight bumper beams

More expensive:
new front subframe brace
MSI Rear Subframe

05STiOwner

I have one in the rear and I noticed a little difference going into corners. It was definitely an improvement. When I would go into a turn the rear would get loose and want to drift. I put the strut bar on and decreased all that.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
But there is enough strength in the front? I
They are so cheap (comparatively to other parts lol) that I will just get the one for the front. I'm guessing the strut bars are thicker than the stock bar in the front?

From what everyone tells me its a waste for me to buy them. So taking the advice and now doing other suspension mods.

cobbtunedsti

Honestly, when I take my strut bar off I can tell a world of difference.. Well worth the money..

cobbtunedsti

Really it's better than my springs as far as handling goes.. Just my opinion..

05STiOwner

I took my off in the front. I noticed more in the rear and less in the front. I might get one again for the front, right now I am saving for springs and wheels.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I took my off in the front. I noticed more in the rear and less in the front. I might get one again for the front, right now I am saving for springs and wheels.

Well I might look into whiteline just to have them. Can't hurt I guess.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Dang it I'm looking now, lol. IGOTASTi is a really bad disease I have, LMAO.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I didn't feel a damn thing. I've had an Ebay Special, a GT Spec and now the Perrin and I felt nothing from either one of them.

All of my joy and happiness came from the sway bars.