How To: GD WRC Tail Light Mod

R3V

This is my first "How-to". This is a very simple mod that IMO looks far superior to the JDM tail mod.

Just did the conversion and it was incredibly easy. You'll need:

04/05 Tail lights
Socket Wrench
Several minutes. Probably around 6.

This is what I wanted it to look like:

subaru20impreza20wrc202.jpg

This is how it turned out:

_MG_1104.jpg

To do this:
  1. Pull out tail by peeling back the trunk liner and loosening the bolts.
  2. On the outermost bulb, cut the red wire.
  3. Put it back in, only the center will light now when the lights are on, and all lights come on when the brake pedal is applied.
  4. Done.
  5. :tard:
The bottom strip is lit too its just all about angle with these. They dont look exactly like it because the lights are actually different on the WRC car. Damn close and great looking though. More unique then the JDM mod. Pic!:

WRXMod.jpg

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I wanted the same look, but didnt want to cut into my wire harness! I opted to "mod" the actual brake bulbs instead.

The "terminals" of the bulb are really just wires protruding from the bottom, and folded up the side. If you pry the wire away, then bend it a few times, the wire snaps off and the filament of the bulb will no longer light. I forget if it's the inner or outer connections on the 7443 bulb (i think it's the inner) that you need to break:
201072316032917104.jpg

I think you might also be able to just use the 7440 bulb, but i haven't tried that yet.

When I get home I'll try to take a pic or two of my bulbs that ARENT the led ones.

Last edited:

microsnook

Just got my 05 tails in the mail today:

So the wire, on the outermost bulb, the bulb towards the bottom, cut the red wire?

View:
264q0rn.jpg

Flipped over:
5o503.jpg

1255qh1.jpg

35r

yeah... u COULD repair it later....but doing the bulb is both safer for the car, and easier. there are a series of unforeseen things that can occur by cutting wires. just be smart about it and do it the right way.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah bulbs are cheaper. Read the second post in thus thread. I can take some pics of my nodded bulb if you need

Yeah bulbs are cheaper. Read the second post in thus thread. I can take some pics of my nodded bulb if you need

could you do this? I would love to see, I want to try it out on mine :D

Okay so I did this myself, and can say its really easy. I found as easier way to think of where to place the bulbs. We have 5 bulbs in each tail light. The two on top are for reverse and blinker so they don't matter. That leaves 3 left. There is 2 7443 and one 7440 bulb. The 7440 is the bulb that is always off until you hit the brakes. The 7443 is always on and gets brighter when you hit the brakes. I found it much easier to remove all 3 bulbs on the bottom of the harness and untangle them so there is the most slack in the wires. So now move the two 7443 bulbs to the inner two slots where you want the lights always on, and move the 7440 to the outside of each side of the car on each tail light. That's it. My idea wasn't as simple as move #3 to #1 and so on, this is for people who just want to read how to do it. There you go.

This is before the MOD
IMAG1215.jpg

And after MOD
IMAG1216.jpg

After MOD with brakes
IMAG1219.jpg

ah sorry i missed your request. But yeah, things are super simple back there.

Its cool man. I did find it tricky to get the bulbs to snap in and twist because the harness is so tight. Other than that, its a really easy and fun mod :tup: