AMS Performance small battery kit for Subaru WRX/STi 02-07 install.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
First I would like to say thanks to Zach from "To The Limit Motorsportz" for bringing this battery kit to my house and getting it for me. I also want you to know that I don't drive my STi in the winter months so I would have know idea how well it would hold up in the cold. I do have a mild sound system and my factory battery was 8 years old and ready for retirement. The reason I wanted to do this was to save weight. Please when you install this kit take your time. Now onto the good stuff.

Features
? Saves 20lbs. and lowers center of gravity
? Effortless install using factory mounting points
? High quality construction
? Custom AMS battery tie down plate

Specifications
? 680 cranking amps
? Short circuit current over 1800A
? 25 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
? Length 7 1/16"
? Width 2 15/16"
? Height 7 3/16"
? Weight 14.6 lbs.

Kit includes
? AMS anodized aluminum battery tie down plate (available in black or red)
? Zinc plated tie down hooks to prevent rusting
? Nylon washers to protect the anodized aluminum tie down plate
? Durable non slip battery pad to keep the battery in place and protected
? Wing nuts for an easy install and removal
? AMS small battery

attachment.php

First thing you want to do is open the hood of your car and go to your battery.

attachment.php

Now I have a grounding kit and sound system so the wires had to be fixed to reach the battery. First disconnect the negative battery terminal (Black) then the positive terminal (Red). Then take a 10mm socket and undo the battery hold down bracket that holds the battery in place. Once disconnected lift out the battery and the tray. It will come out super easy and will looks like this.

attachment.php

You will see a grounding wire on the side of the drivers firewall that goes to the negative side of the battery. Unscrew it and move it down on the lower part of the firewall. There is a bolt hole already for it. Next grab some grease remover and clean the area where the battery is going to be sitting. After cleaning it let it dry. Now take the battery pad and remove the backing and stick into place. You have one shot to get it right. It will look this this when it is all done.

attachment.php

After that take the battery and lay it on its side. Put the new hangers in and washers and tighten the battery with the tie down plate. Then take the positive terminal (Red) and disconnect it from the battery. This is done with a hex head and makes putting any wires you have on super easy. Connect all your wires and reattach the terminals to the battery, and do the same with the negative (black) wire. When you re-install the terminals back on the battery make sure you torq them to 50 foot pds. After your battery is installed it will look like this.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Now wipe everything down and check all your connections. You have just saved your WRX/STi 25 pds of weight. I hope you all enjoyed this and if you have any questions please ask.​

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
No problem. Anytime.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Nice write up JJ... So much room now. :tup:

How does it crank compared to the stock battery?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Does the AMS plate interfere with re-installing an OEM-style battery? IE, would I be able to swap to a bigger battery in the winter without much fuss?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Does the AMS plate interfere with re-installing an OEM-style battery? IE, would I be able to swap to a bigger battery in the winter without much fuss?

You would have to switch everything back to OEM to make it all work again. Might not be worth the hassle.

microsnook

Oh yea I bet! So the battery is laid sideways right?

You should make a video of the start up. Even though you say its the same as stock...

Sure makes for a lot more room in there.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yes it does lay on its side, and there is so much more room. I can also make a video of the start up if you like. :)

STimedic

If you still have it from going to the Moore unit, I'll gladly take the tray itself off your hands. It'll fit my Odyssey 680PC (same exact battery!) no sweat....

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
If you still have it from going to the Moore unit, I'll gladly take the tray itself off your hands. It'll fit my Odyssey 680PC (same exact battery!) no sweat....

You mean the stock tray?