Review: Aem EMS for the 2004 Impreza wrx Sti "Also customer service review"

Bluedemon_II

About a year ago I purchased the aem ems to cater to my built motor needs and future upgrades which included but where not limited to Nos, vgt, pseudo anti lag.

Initial impressions where not that hot. The car would not start even with the base cal from aem. Off the top of my head, at least three tuners took their hand at attempting to start my car but non where successful. It wasn't their fault as no one would be able to make the car start because the car would not sync.

It turns out that the aem has terrible Cam pickup for upgraded cams. Don't ask me why but the aem isn't able to work with most cars that have upgraded cams. Stock cams, its is one of the best engine management system out there, extremely flexible and haven't seen one act up on the stock cams.

Aem tech support and users and some tuners suggest that one should file down the sensors to increase the signal threshold and for some users it works wonders. For me it worked to the point that I'm able to start my car when cold with little problems. Still when the engine is cold the engine misses and goes lean and i suspect that the issue is with the sync. When the car is warm there isn't any problems. It is not a temperature related table or setting, I checked that many times now.

Apart from that here are my base impressions:

Fuel and ignition resolution is excellent. You have Accelerator fuel pumps, decelerator trims and best of all boost fuel compensation.

This last fuel trim speeds up tuning exponentially. Basically what it's a multiplier that adds fuel based on boost. Say that you need 20ms at 3 psi, then you will need 40ms at 6psi. This alone has keep me from selling the aem and going with a hydra 2.6.

The antilag parameters are fully configurable and you can cut fuel or ignition or retard the ignition to the point where it has the anti lag effect. For safety I have been using fuel cut and ignition cut since I run alky injection based on boost.

Ignition retard makes the exhaust go boom, which has a wow factor but I don't use it, I like my valves.

The Ems has Closed loop O2 control. It is ok, not perfect but ok. You have an array of sensors to choose from. At the moment I have my Aem UEGO gauge spliced into my harness so that the ems can see the 0-5 v signal.

You have many outputs that can be configured based on boost, rpm, a/f and temp.

You have a Nos fuel and ignition trim maps and you may control a nos system based on many parameters and safety's.

Boost control is weird so I ended up using a manual boost controller.

Overall I give it a 7 out of 10.

Now on to Aem costumer service. It sucks. I have never seen some one so blind towards an issue, apart from my gf, than this ppl. I called and they say that the box works as its supposed to. They told me to change my cams... like that is so easy and simple on our engines. Overall I give the hole CS experience a 3 out of 10.

Powerful ems but it still needs some kinks to be worked out. About the only ems out htere capable of running 2000cc injectors at 800rpm and 14.5 a/f :tard:

geezus.png

If any one has something to add please do.

Bluedemon_II

Are you still running the AEM and are you still having any issues?

I have several customer car STis and WRXs up and running on V1 and V2 boxes with absolutely no startup, idle, or driveability problems. There are TON of changes that can be made from the AEM base calibration to help with startup. It should crank and fire on the first hit of the key and idle like stock with no issues. The biggest difference in the stock cams to aftermarket is the spacing between the cam pickup sensor and the camshaft itself. Filing down the sensor housing brings the sensor closer to the cam and improves the signal.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, or shoot me an email with your .cal file and a log!

I did all humanly posible to get that box to work with the avcs of my car, it never happened. I sold the car so as for that matter I gave up. I filled the sensor down, no read, went down some more, nada and a little more...nope. I tested the resistance on the wires running up to the ecu, it was perfect as stated by the service manual. I tested different sensors... nothing. Tried using the power of sorcery and that helped a little on my side. I got the car to drive awesome but no avcs.

It was a v1 box.

Hope that they sorted out the problems on the v2. I contacted about 5 people with my same problem. The only solution was to turn the crank sync option so low that the ems wouldn't look for sync during normal operation, just start up.

05_wrex

I have a v1 box and i have to wait a few seconds to tuen the key and then it takes 3-4 cranks until it fires up. It's super annoying. I know this thread is old, but any help? I can send my cal or any logs, etc.

Thanks,
Sean

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Re: Review: Aem EMS for the 2004 Impreza wrx Sti "Also customer service review"

If you wait till I am home I can offer you some input... i've been working with both the v1 and v2 for some time and there are things we can explore to improve start issues. Be aware that it is often the nature of the beast. 3 to 4 cranks on an AEM is not bad actually.