GD WorldRallyBug's WRB Bugeye. The long journey

WorldRallyBug

WorldRallyBug's WRB Bugeye. Why buy it when you can build it?

Goals:
Imagine subaru built a track ready STi, like what porsche did with their 911 gt3rs. I wanna do that with my subaru. Very WRC tarmac esque. Paulies WRX is a very big influence. Key ideas are:

Focus on suspension and Handling
Cage, Painted( like the autopower street-sport cage)
weight reduction, but not noticeable at first glance
Keep Interior
Race Wheel
Sticky Tires
Upgraded Brake package​

Power-wise, I wanna do a EJ207 Swap w/ 6MT and get that to around 330whp.

I got it about a year ago, Bone stock.
5931_125756311990_626191990_2881097_6823606_n.jpg

47,000 miles on the clock. Didn't like the stupid grille thingy, so I took it off.
28439_403397016990_626191990_4853932_4661108_n.jpg

Since I'm going for the WRC look/GPN look, I decided to trunk swap for a STi wing
163828_160804440633862_123060524408254_295729_2391974_n.jpg

The interior was rather plain, So I decided to stickerbomb the dash trim:
180527_492424666990_626191990_6573344_4224131_n.jpg
*Got tired of the stickerbombing, its gone now.

Thats it for now, I'll be focusing on setting up the suspension and chassis for the time being (getting it 100% ready for the power Ill be adding), while I'm putting my mechanical skills to work engineering an Inconel ELH and V-Mount Intercooler, which will go on next year after I build a 2.2l motor. I've got a whole build planned out, i'll get it posted up in a bit.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
:welcome: to the team. I like the wing. Be sure to check out the premium memberships for give aways and more. Thanks for joining.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Car looks great man! Good ambition and your goals are just poetry. I like the sticker bomb to. Nice touch.

Welcome to the sight and enjoy your stay!

WorldRallyBug

Herro. Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind. What part of charlotte are you from? I grew up in Lewisville, NC. Be sure to check out the NC thread.
I'm going to school here at UNCC. I'm originally from greensboro
:welcome: to the team. I like the wing. Be sure to check out the premium memberships for give aways and more. Thanks for joining.
Thanks! I'll be sure to do that

Car looks great man! Good ambition and your goals are just poetry. I like the sticker bomb to. Nice touch.

Welcome to the sight and enjoy your stay!
Poetry huh? thanks! The stickerbomb was a first try, I'm really suprised at how well it came out!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Looks real nice. Me likey.

Paul.c

Welcome. I'm glad you decided to take off the grill insert. The car looks much much better without it.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yeah that grill didn't do much for it. Looks good now. :)

WorldRallyBug

Here's my more fleshed out plan. Still working on figuring out all the little details, but its more or less what I wanna do.
The Plan. Broken down via. Suspension, Engine, Transmission, Braking, Interior, Exterior.

Suspension
RCE Yellow Springs
Tokico D-Spec Struts
Group N top hats
RCE Adjustable Swaybars
Kartboy Endlinks
Group N Bushings and Mounts
Welded in reinforcement of Front and Rear Strut Towers
Sti Lateral Links
Sti Aluminum Control Arms
Sti Trailing arms

Wheels
Street: Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2, 17x8, 5x100, +38, GOLD
BFGoodrich A/S Super Sport 235/45 R17
Track: Enkei RC-T4, 18x8, 5x100, +48, GOLD
Goodyear WRC Tarmac Tyres

Engine
Fabricate V-Mount Intercooler/Radiator set-up
Rotated Intake Manifold
Fabricate Equal Length Header (twinscroll variant when upgrading to V8 Twinscroll turbocharger)
Fabricate Catless Turbo-back 3'' Exhaust. Divorced Wastegate. Gutted Sti Muffler/Exhaust Tip.
JUN AUTO 2.2L Stroker Kit
Mishimoto Oil Cooler
IHI Twin Scroll Turbo from a V8 STi(VF37?)
Port and Polish Heads
CRK Race Valves and Springs
Water/Meth Injection
E85 Ethanol Tuned
Walboro 225lph fuel pump
Upgraded injectors (to compensate for E85)

Transmission
Sti V8 6 speed manual transmission w/ DDCD
Sti R180 Rear Diff
Sti limited slip differentials
Kartboy Shifter Bushings

Braking
SUBARU '06+ WRX 4/2 Pot brake setup+ Slotted Rotors
Goodrich Steel Braided brake lines
Pads-
Street: EBC Yellowstuff
Track: Hawk Blue

Interior
Corbeau FX-1 Pro seats- black
Black Delrin Shift Knob
JDM Sti V7 Gauge Cluster
Triple Dash Gauge Pod with DEFI Boost, Oil Temprature, Oil Pressure
Flocked Dash + Gauge Pod
Stickerbombed Dash Trim/ Refinish. Paint Flat Black
Nardi Deep dish 330mm Steering wheel. Engraved with ?Neverlift? w/ NRG anodized blue QD hub
Full, Rally America spec Rollcage. Painted in ELECTRIC BLUE
Schroth, Sparco, or Takata 5 Point Harnesses

Exterior
L'aunsport S8 WRC wing
HKS Kansai Rear Diffuser?
Prodrive Front Lip
L'aunsport Hood Vent for S8
Cleared Stock Headlights (spec-c style)
STi Foglight covers
Spec-C roof Vent
CF Sti sidemarkers
Vent Rear Bumper
Eventually:
L'aunsport Widebody Kit

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Looks like a good list to me. :thumbsup:

WorldRallyBug

V-mount is all planned out. I'll get the drawings up soon.
On a side note, What are ya'll's opinions on water injection? My friend has a kit he'll sell me for cheap but I know next to nothing about it.

WorldRallyBug

I was thinking of running the lines right beside my spec-c intercooler spray tank, along the drivers side trim. I'll get the name of the kit from my friend.

jswansti

Very nice car and build! Can tell lots of research and effort has been put into planning out exactly what you want in the car. Cant wait to see its progress!

WorldRallyBug

Just throwing what I've seen out there so you can benefit from the ass pain I've gone through. Small diameter hydraulic lines will hold up much better than the clear lines that come standard with most kits. I can find you more info if you'd like.

I'm a fan of meth/h2o mixes, but the key is making sure you have ways to detect and shift your tune when leaks happen.
More Info is always appreciated, I'd rather know what I'm getting into before I start

Very nice car and build! Can tell lots of research and effort has been put into planning out exactly what you want in the car. Cant wait to see its progress!

Thanks! I can't wait for it to get into full swing!

WorldRallyBug

so you're building your own meth injection kit? How do they act up? How long does it usually last inbetween refills?
I know that heat is the biggest killer of cars on the track, so I wanna do everything possible to keep my engine cool and operating well.

WorldRallyBug

Well I found this
168345_499006891990_626191990_6668138_3689928_s.jpg
In the hall outside my dorm room yesterday.

Nothing new has happened with the car yet, I think this weekend I'm fabricating my 3'' exhaust though :)
Oh, and I cant wait for March 6th. I'm entering rally-x!

WorldRallyBug

Quick Update:
Exhaust has been fabricated and installed. I love how deep the sound is, I've been riding around all week with my windows down! The bad is I can now hear a misfire, Gotta get to the bottom of that issue.
Today I'm working on my rear diffuser. built a full-scale mock-up yesterday and I'm building the Mk1 version today!
Also, while prowling through lowes hardware looking for the parts I needed I found out that they carry Lexan. When I take out the back seats I might replace the rear window glass with the stuff :D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well I found this
168345_499006891990_626191990_6668138_3689928_s.jpg
In the hall outside my dorm room yesterday.

Nothing new has happened with the car yet, I think this weekend I'm fabricating my 3'' exhaust though :)
Oh, and I cant wait for March 6th. I'm entering rally-x!

Freaking awesome! I love that picture! Also post some pictures!