6th Gear Issue

Seasian2

Hey guys!

So since I’ve owned my car I’ve had nothing but a seamless experience minus a rebuild with my motor.

Just recently, while I’ve been on the highway, my 6th gear randomly started to pop out.

A few weeks went by and it would happen more frequently.

I checked my transmission fluid and seemed low so I changed it and filled it back up.

My 6th gear doesn’t pop out as much but when I go more than 75 mph (cruise control won’t go passed 75) or put some load on 6th, it pops out.

I’ve read it could be a linkage issue, a synchro, a bent shift fork, etc.

Any ideas?

Or an estimate as to how much $$ this will probably set me?

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Sorry to hear about that.

It sounds like it could be a synchro issue to me.

When you changed the fluid did you notice if there was any metal in the fluid?

Seasian2

Thats what i've read over in a couple nasioc posts, just want to know how much labor it usually is to take down the tranny and repair,
I had my shop change the fluid so im not exactly sure

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Thats what i've read over in a couple nasioc posts, just want to know how much labor it usually is to take down the tranny and repair,
I had my shop change the fluid so im not exactly sure

You would need to get some quotes from shops around you. When the trans is dropped they can inspect the fork and linkages as well. If something is out of the ordinary there fix that before taking the trans apart.

Stock trans? Or built?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Yeah, I'm afraid it's a synchro. I'd recommend getting it fixed soon so it doesn't spread damage to other gears. However, it's going to be best to have them all replaced as well as the forks. Shop around a little bit and you might be able to get it done for $1k or less. I got really lucky with mine, at $700 (however it took them 2 months to do it, which is part of why it was so cheap).

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Oh, another thing... it probably saved me a bunch of money by removing the trans myself and delivering it to the shop.

I'm sure that removing/reinstalling would have cost a lot more in labor.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hmm, interesting.

How exactly does a bad Syncro pop the transmission out of a gear?!

That's bewildering!