AEM EMS 04 STI

Laztug

I have been looking high and low for an AEM EMS v2 Part # 30-6820 for my 04 STi.
It has been discontinued and I can't get my hands on one anywhere.

I have spent a lot of time and money on this build.....I would hate to blow the motor again. The main reason I wanted the ems was because of its fail safes and flex fuel capabilities.

Does anyone know what would be needed to make an AEM EMS Part # 30-6821 (05-06sti) fit my 04?
Is there a better option out there?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yup... It's easy... All you have to do is swap the speed sensor wire with the fuel pump wire. I believe that is the only difference in the ECU pinout.

I did this research a while ago for myself because I wanted the FlexFuel capabilities of the AEM. I purchased the 30-6821 but have yet to install it.

Are you doing the tuning yourself? I have allot of insight so feel free to pick my brain. I have tuned quite a number of V2's.

Laztug

Thank you for your response!

It feels like it should be just that easy.
While picking up info on this topic I came across this:

• Q: 04 sti engine alaskanwhitey 8 months ago

I'm swapping my 05 wrx block for my rebuilt 04 sti block and I was wondering if this standalone would be appropriate for my soon to be setup and if not if there is one yout would recommend along with a part number for ease of research? Thank you for your assistance! RSD rocks my socks off!
    • A: The shortblock will not affect the compatibility or function of this standalone, but you will need a 2005-2006 STI wiring harness, heads and sensors. We currently do not carry a standalone for your application and you may want to consider a piggyback system for the stock ECU.

Brady R.
      icon_social_staff.gif
      8 months ago
I find it a little hard to believe you will need new heads , sensors , and a wiring harness to make this work. But do you think there is any truth to this?

I will have to get with my engine builder/tuner about switching those wires. Hopefully they will be willing to make the alteration.
Please don't take this the wrong way, I appreciate your response but I know my shop is going to ask me where I got this info from.
Have you had the chance to talk to AEM or have any experience making this alteration work? Nothing about this car has been easy or cheap so far, changing two wires seems way too good to be true!

I have no experience with these cars, but I have always been a huge fan of the platform.
5I picked up my 04 sti at a great price, and did not want to let the car go after I blew it up. (stage 2 , ringland failure)

She is coming back with a darton sleeved, rotated ets turbo kit htz3586 .82, id2000, gsc s3 cams, cosworth intake, ported heads, ETS EL headers and lots of extras. Having the v2 fail safes will give me peace of mind while under WOT.

Here is a quick shot of my car before being taken to shop with busted ringlands.

Thanks again for the great news fast! That should help me get some sleep tonight.
:bow:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah I can't believe that either. There is nothing different about the heads and the sensors from 04 05 06.

Well I have the EMS in my hands and I guess I can try it out for you. I need a few days though. I'm nowhere close to home right now.

Last edited:

Laztug

That would be great! But please don't cut your plans short.
A few days sounds perfect, thank you for giving the 04 community hope in FlexFuel!

*Up Date*

Found this diagram.

There's only a few pins that are different. You'll have to push the pins out of your factory harness and make them match the 05.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yup that's the diagram that makes me think a simple wire swap will do it. I was reading through the installation instructions and it made mention of the difference between 04 and 05 but it didn't say it wouldn't work. Why would they make mention of the 04 if it could only be used on an 05 06.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
My apologies for taking so long. I just finished swapping the wires in the patch harness and I should be able to get to checking it this weekend. :tup:

Laztug

Thank you for the update!

Best of luck to you with this project, I can't wait to see how it turns out.:tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Success!

You may purchase the 30-6821 with confidence!!!

Laztug

Thank you so much for your efforts Fast, that is one amazing machine you have there.:tup:
I informed the shop, and we will be moving forward with the v2!

I am so anxious for my build to start, the car has been down since November.
At this point I am beginning to doubt I even own an sti.:(

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thank you so much for your efforts Fast, that is one amazing machine you have there.:tup:
I informed the shop, and we will be moving forward with the v2!

I am so anxious for my build to start, the car has been down since November.
At this point I am beginning to doubt I even own an sti.:(

hehe... I know the feeling! I was two years with out and STi but the only thing that made it tolerable was the fact that it was an S14 I was driving around so it wasn't so painful. But now I'm home again and it feels good! :tup:

Good luck with your build and if you need any kind of further assistance or advice or help in general, I am glad to do so. I am quite experienced with AEM.