Alcohol Injection...

ICY STi

I am formally UndrWrldAssasin (can't access that account any more)

I just recently got to AK and I spoke with a Subie tuner in town and he suggested to get an alcohol injection system installed. Not immediately but something for me to look at. The main reason being that there is no 93oct up here its only 90. And its really shitty 90. Just running this by the group of guys i trust and see what you all have to say about it. I know it will produce more power but just looking to see what you all have to say about it.

Im sure some people are going to say to stay away from it but I would like a legit review from you if you post. Is it worth it?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I can help you access your old account if you like.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If 90 is the only thing available in your area them meth injection is definitely going to help your situation. No good can come form using straight up 90 octane with out assistance from alternate fuel. I would even go so far as to suggest using a 100% mixture.

Do you have E85 available in your area... that is another option.

ICY STi

If 90 is the only thing available in your area them meth injection is definitely going to help your situation. No good can come form using straight up 90 octane with out assistance from alternate fuel. I would even go so far as to suggest using a 100% mixture.

Do you have E85 available in your area... that is another option.

Thanks for the advice...Question though. When your referring to 100% mixture what are you referring to as far as the mixture containing? The tuner I talked to said he does a 50/50...water and alcohol to help lower the temp...

ICY STi

Ok thanks for clarifying Lenny.

Ill be here in alaska for 3 years. Since the lower 48 have 93 oct should this just be a mod i have for alaska or should i keep it once returning? Is tuning with meth and a COBB unusual and hard to do...meaning do most tuners have the know how of what to do with the ECU COBB Meth injection combo?

ICY STi

I would use E85 if they had it up here...They probably have it at the strip autox events things like that but its not for sale on the normal economy.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Ok thanks for clarifying Lenny.

Ill be here in alaska for 3 years. Since the lower 48 have 93 oct should this just be a mod i have for alaska or should i keep it once returning? Is tuning with meth and a COBB unusual and hard to do...meaning do most tuners have the know how of what to do with the ECU COBB Meth injection combo?

As far as the cooling aspect of the mixture it should be largely inconsequential. 100% Meth alone has a significant cooling effect and the octane it provides should significantly reduce the propensity for knock. In layman's terms By adding water in a 50/50 mix you will induce more cooling but the water will also have more of an effect on dynamic compression because of the volume it is taking up. In theory your cylinder pressures will increase as the water is converted to vapor and it will significantly reduce exhaust gas temperatures. You will never run into a situation where exhaust gas temperatures are out of control or unsafe with a properly tuned car no matter what fuel or mixture you are using.

You want to control knock in this situation and I feel that a 100% mixture will do a better job of it but a 50/50 mixture will as well. after all in the old days I remember people using water only injection systems to control temperature and knock and increase dynamic compression, and they still do in the racing community. Ultimately go with what the tuner likes and test it out.

Last edited:
Holy is right on the money. However I'd say that a 50/50 mix is the way to go. 100% in theory will be better but for knock but a 50/50 mix will already put you well beyond that of 93 octane. The power difference in the mix is also negligible.

I am a huge fan of meth injection and ran it for a while before I switched to E85. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the specifics but in a nut shell as long as you get a system with a fail safe there's no downside.