GD Ashlyn - Mike's EFI Logics-built '04 STI...an autocross warrior.

BadlandsRacer

Mike's auto-x warrior 04 STi - Devils Lake rally-x event results, pics, video!!!

This will be my attempt to continue my member journal for Ashlyn, my 2004 STI, on this forum. Post-whoring is not welcome; general conversation about the car, autcross, or other related topics is encouraged.

My current favorite pics and mod list are below. Journal entries of significant events in the evolution of this project are dated and linked below. Post #2 is an ongoing list of videos this car is featured in, and sponsors and their websites. Post #3 is a collection of my favorite photography involving this car.

forum1.jpg

I bought this car in the fall of 2008, after some experience with a 444-whp 1970 Corvette Stingray, and a stage-2 protuned 2007 STI. After enjoying SCCA Autocross in my first STi, I knew that this one had to be purpose-built for it. I tried my hand with a built motor from ARFabrication, a 30r turbo, and a local tuner. The result: the motor failed with much fire and smoke on the side of the highway. There was only one shop I could think of to get Ashlyn in working order again: one of the best Subaru shops in the country, EFI Logics. The car was loaded onto a truck and to Connecticut it went!

Thanks to EFI Logics' meticulous attention to detail, I now have a real autocross conqueror and a true head-turner as well...she has never been more fun to drive. The car performed extremely well in the 2010 SCCA Autocross season, with regular top 5 placings, and taking 2nd out of 41 cars at the Motor Magic race weekend in Minot, ND. I've also had the honor of having TWO small features in Drive Performance magazine (before the car went to EFI Logics, and after EFI Logics finished), of being voted the top 2004 Subaru Impreza on CarDomain, and of being voted STi of the Month here on IGOTASTi.com! . But as always, the car is never finished...so stay tuned for more projects, more racing, more fun!

To view a mod list, video list, and additional pictures, scroll down this page.

forum2.jpg

Current Modifications:

Items pending installation will be shown in RED ITALICS.

Engine:
  • EJ257 motor built by EFI Logics
    • 08 STI short block w/ nitrated crankshaft
    • EFI Logics 99.5mm pistons and rings
    • new STI cylinder head casings
    • Manley oversize valves, titanium springs and retainers
    • Kelford R199-B performance camshafts (duration: 264/264, lift: 10.7mm)
    • ARP head studs & *stock* head gaskets
    • '08 STI oil pump & water pump
    • Gates Kevlar timing belt
    • Tomei aluminum timing belt guide
    • NGK 1 Step Colder spark plugs
    • KillerB Ultimate Oil Pickup
  • STi "Group N" motor mounts
  • Torque Solutions pitch stop​
  • APS 70mm cold air intake​
  • GMS V2 turbo inlet & afterMAF hose
  • GrimmSpeed 8mm phenolic spacers
  • TGV deletes
  • Blouch TD05H 18G-XT turbocharger with 8cm turbine housing
  • APS DR525 front-mount intercooler (coated with GrimmSpeed black thermal dispersant paint)
  • Synapse Engineering Synchronic blow-off valve (set to recirculate)
  • GrimmSpeed 3-port electronic boost control solenoid
  • GrimmSpeed PnP exhaust manifold w/ high flow crosspipe (ceramic coated black)
  • GrimmSpeed EWG up-pipe & external dump (ceramic coated black)
  • TiAL 38mm v-band external wastegate (blue)
  • Kakumei Motorsports catless downpipe
  • B&B 3" catback exhaust
  • Koyo aluminum radiator
  • Gates Racing silicone radiator hoses (blue)
  • SPT radiator cooling plate
  • Power Enterprise 850cc fuel injectors
  • Walbro 255lph fuel pump
  • Crawford Performance air-oil seperator V2
  • GoFastBits alternator pulley
  • Defi Red Racer gauges (boost, oil pressure, and E.G.T.)
  • PLX DM-5 wideband air-fuel ratio monitoring
  • Braille Limited Edition STI carbon fiber battery & mount (14.5 lbs)
  • Zeitronix ethanol content analyzer system
Tuned on 91-octane & E85 by Chris @ EFI Logics...WOO!

forum3.jpg

Drivetrain:
  • ACT Street Disk clutch w/ HD pressure plate
  • STi "Group N" transmission mount
  • Whiteline transmission crossmember bushings
  • Motul Gear300 transmission oil
  • Motul 90PA differential oil
Suspension and Chassis Stiffening:
  • JDM Fuji Heavy Industries front strut brace
  • BC Racing Type-BR coilovers (will be installed in the spring)
  • RaceComp Engineering 'Black' springs
  • Whiteline 27mm adjustable front sway bar
  • Whiteline 24mm adjustable rear sway bar
  • White adjustable ball endlinks front and rear
  • Perrin Positive Steering Response System
  • Whiteline polyurethane steering rack bushings
  • Whiteline roll center adjustment kit (will be installed in the spring)
  • LiteSpeed Performance rear chassis bridge
  • SPT "Lower H" subframe brace
  • Whiteline rear subframe lockdown bolts
  • Whiteline outrigger bushings
Brakes, Wheels and tires:
  • Hawk HPS brake pads (front & rear)
  • GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace
  • Factory BBS wheels
  • Dunlop Direzza Z1 StarSpecs (235/45/17)
forum4.jpg

Exterior Modifications and Under-hood Dress-up:
  • V-Limited replica front lip
  • Symms Racing replica rear wing
  • JNA Performance JDM-style rear spats
  • Varis carbon fiber exhaust heat shield
  • Powdercoated intercooler piping, intake manifold, and intake pipe
  • 06/07 tail light conversion
  • Debadged w/ Subaru 'I' front badge
  • Hella Supertone horns
  • Tein hood dampers (wrapped in carbon fiber)
  • Full tint on rear windows
  • Carbign Craft carbon fiber drive belt cover
  • STi 1.3-bar high pressure radiator caps (radiator and upper coolant reservoir)
  • SPT battery tie-down (blue)
  • SPT oil fill cap (blue)
forum5.jpg

Interior Modifications and Dress-up, Audio and Electronics:
  • Graphite-painted steering wheel centerpiece
  • Carbontrix carbon fiber A-pillar gauge mount w/ matching passenger pillar
  • Autometer dash gauge cluster mount
  • Subaru carbon fiber interior detailing kit
  • Kakumei Motorsports carbon fiber pedal set
  • WC Lathe Werks shift knob
  • JDM red hazard light button
  • DIY rear shelf camera mount
  • Pioneer Premier MP3/DVD player w/ GPS navigation and Bluetooth
  • Rockford speakers
  • Alpine 4-channel amplifier
  • Viper 791XV security system w/ keyless entry
forum7.jpg

Attachments

• policeavatar.jpg
    policeavatar.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

BadlandsRacer

Videos featuring this car:

Vimeo - Badlands Region SCCA Promotional Music Video - Paul Oakenfold's "Ready, Steady, Go!"
Vimeo - Project: Ashlyn - Update 2009 Music Video - ACDC's "Highway to Hell"
Vimeo - Project: Ashlyn - 2009 Autocross Compilation Music Video - Orgy's "Blue Monday"
Vimeo - Badlands Region SCCA 2009 Autocross Season Music Video - Rev Theory's "Hell Yeah!"
Vimeo - Subaru Winter Fun Music Video - Disturbed's "Down With The Sickness"
Vimeo - Subaru Autocross - GoPro Hero camera testing

Youtube - Badlands Autocross Season Finale Music Video - American Hi-Fi's "The Art of Losing"
Youtube - Badlands Autocross 26 September 2010 Music Video - Muse's "Hysteria"
Youtube - Racer's Evolution Car Club Cruise Line 21 August 2010
Youtube - Badlands Autocross 8 August 2010 Music Video - ZZ Top's "La Grange"
Youtube - Badlands Autocross 17 July 2010 #3 Run
Youtube - Badlands Autocross 06-19-2010 FTD Run
Youtube - Dyno Tuning at RS Motors (GT3076R .82 turbo)
Youtube - Dyno Tuning at DB Performance (SR-55 turbo and meth)
Youtube - STi fords a flooded interstate!

Sponsors:

Ressler Subaru (Mandan, ND)
Hands down the best car dealership in North Dakota, and the best Subaru dealership I’ve had the pleasure of interacting with. The service department is fantastic. Most people are sketchy about taking their beloved STi to a "stealership"...not with these guys! They've done some amazing work on my Subie, including wiring and installation of all my Defi gauges. They know their stuff, are always professional and always friendly, and get excited at the chance to work with performance cars...and they always make their STi-owning customers a top priority. Check them out at http://www.ressler-subaru.com!

Litespeed Performance (online vendor)
Litespeed Performance is a still-relatively-new vendor dedicated to the pursuit of Subaru performance. At first interaction, they offer fantastic customer service and quick response times. A deeper look shows some truly innovative products, like the Rear Chassis Bridge (a less expensive, lighter-weight version of the no-longer-produced CarLabs X-brace), or their awesome titanium turbo heatshield. And shhh, let’s keep this between you and me, but I hear there’s some weird contraption called a header, and possibly some ultra-lightweight exhaust, currently under development. Scoot your browser to http://sites.google.com/site/litespeedperformance!

Out There Customs (Bismarck, ND)
BRAND new to the car scene in Bismarck (and I mean new, these guys opened in June), Out There Customs offers body and interior work, paint, car audio/video, and aftermarket part installs. They are an authorized dealer for more than 350 aftermarket brands, including Tein, AEM, Greddy, HKS, Enkei, and more! They specialize in car audio/video and contribute years of knowledge and experience to that arena. I had the pleasure of meeting the owner, Tyler Fitterer, not that long ago and can say with confidence that he is both friendly and professional. Whether you’re looking for aftermarket parts or some monster subs, give them a call at 701-595-2375 or stop in…it’ll be worth your while.

Perfection Plus Auto Detailing (Bismarck, ND)
Jeff at Perfection Plus will shine up your baby like it’s his own. Perfection Plus has done the tint on my ’07 STi, some detailing on previous cars, and I know plenty of guys that won’t take their cars anywhere else. Perfection Plus can also order aftermarket wheels or basic parts like sway bars or brake pads. The customer service is top notch and the detailing is thorough, so stop on by or give them a call at 701-223-1032 so these guys can take care of you!

Odney Advertising (North Dakota & Idaho)
Odney is a full service marketing and public relations agency, with three offices in North Dakota (Bismarck, Fargo, and Minot), and an office in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Odney offers advertisement consulting, public relations and social media strategies, creative development, branding, and market research. Odney bases their strategies and consulting on extensive research and years of experience, and can help you grow your business effectively. Check out Odney’s services at http://www.odney.com!

Signs & Wonders (Bismarck, ND)
I met Rick from Signs & Wonders during the ND500, and not only is he a great guy (and funny as hell), he does some excellent work. Whether you need vehicle graphics, racing numbers, a car show posterboard, or team t-shirts, these guys can get it done...and keep you laughing the entire time! Signs & Wonders is responsible for all of the vehicle graphics on my car. Give them a ring at 701-222-3848 if you're looking for a way to make your car stand out from the rest!

Al’s Barber Shop (Bismarck, ND)
The best barber shop in Bismarck, hands down. Just a tiny shop with two friendly barbers and a great atmosphere. I’ve been a customer here for years, and can tell you from personal experience that there is no one I would rather go to than Joe and Travis. The walls of the shop are decorated with awards and newspaper features about this awesome little place, and they’ve earned it. The service is great! Next time you need a haircut, give them a call at 701-223-1050, or stop in for a walk-in!

Last edited:

BadlandsRacer

Photography

This post will be dedicated to photography involving this car, and will showcase some of the best pictures taken of this car. Hopefully, it will serve as a visual evolution of the car, and I will update it as often as I have time.

From a photoshoot on June 23rd, 2009, in Mandan, ND, with my good friend Megan:

megan1r.jpg

megan2w.jpg

megan3y.jpg

megan4.jpg

megan5a.jpg

megan6.jpg

From a photoshoot on July 21st, 2010, in Fargo, ND, to showcase the event finals from the ND500 Road Rally, before I withdrew from the illegal event and switched to personal vinyls and personal sponsor decals:

nd1c.jpg

nd2.jpg

nd3m.jpg

nd4n.jpg

nd5j.jpg

Last edited:

BadlandsRacer

I purchased the '04 in October, 2008. Here are the first pictures taken of this car, sitting next to my '07 after the insurance company declared it "totalled," and at Camp Grafton, ND, and Lincoln, ND.

firstshotfront.jpg

fjsite.jpg

graftonside.jpg

firstenginepic.jpg

farm1.jpg

farm2.jpg

aviation.jpg

Last edited:

joey.lisano

subscribed

We need to start a countdown until the end of the semester when the weather is warmer and you have time to install your new goodies. We are taking down that supercharged RSX.

toomes

Hey bud! I saw your car while it was getting rebuilt at EFI after the asssplozion. :( It was coming along very nice :) Glad to see it back up and running. I subsequently blew up my self after having my car with in 100 ft of yours. Thanks!

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Always staying tuned... ;)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Very nice STi. Glad to have you on the team!

BadlandsRacer

Hey bud! I saw your car while it was getting rebuilt at EFI after the asssplozion. :( It was coming along very nice :) Glad to see it back up and running. I subsequently blew up my self after having my car with in 100 ft of yours. Thanks!

Wasn't me!! :lol:

Paul.c

hey man welcome. your license plate makes me think of this picture:
eaea1349.jpg

I personally can't wait to do a little cone killing this season!

BadlandsRacer

I'll do a quick update on how everything's going with this car.

Well, for those following this car on other forums, you'll know that a few weeks ago, I ran into a problem with an excessive amount of smoke coming through the exhaust during a drive on the Interstate. It looked a little like this:

1021e.jpg

We then determined that high oil pressure and subzero temperatures (roughly -8* ambient temp) had combined to push oil past the turbo seals, where it was converted into smoke. :lol: My Gimmick Motorsports thermostat contributed to this, as coolant temperatures at 75-80mph on the interstate ranged between 140-144*. After about 3 minutes of smoking, everything went back to normal, and I didn't have another problem for the rest of the drive, or for the next few days since.

Well, a quick update on that situation. The car is happily stored inside at Ressler Subaru, one of my fabulous sponsors. Thanks to Apex Performance, I have a new OEM thermostat & gasket on the way. The turbo has arrived at Blouch for warranty inspection, and I will call them today to see what the deal is. When we get the turbo back, we'll be changing the oil in the car to a 5w30 vs the 10w30 I've been using. Things are well on their way.

Additionally, the arrival of my new, ultra top secret weapon (a prototype unequal length header) is imminent. This header is a new design, 17 lbs lighter than the stock parts, and is currently being coated with Swaintech's White Lightning heat resistant coating, scheduled to ship out on the 10th of January.

In addition to the new header, I have a set of BC Racing coilovers, a Whiteline bump steer kit, and some other Whiteline parts (outrigger bushings, transmission crossmember bushings, and rear subframe lockdown bolts, courtesy of a good friend) waiting for installation as soon as the snow starts melting. I also have plans to drop 130 lbs in unnecessary weight from this car before autocross season starts up again, without sacrificing daily driver utility, crash safety, or insurability.

Stay tuned!!

icudruln

My favorite Subie. I remember reading Mike's journal back in the day, and it got me pointed in a direction I wanted to take. Subscribed forever :)

BadlandsRacer

I'm honored to serve as your inspiration, sir! Feel free to toss in some suggestions of what you think I should do with it, as I'm always looking for the next thing!

Got off the phone with Mike at Blouch Turbo not too long ago, and received the news that there is no major damage to the turbocharger. The turbo is being rebuilt with new bearings, free of charge, and shipped out to me today.

I am thoroughly impressed with the customer service shown by Blouch, and friendliness and helpfulness of Mike when I spoke to them. Excellent experience! :tup:

BadlandsRacer

That is one sexy car... Hope that my 04 comes out like that some day... right now my front bumper is really f-up.

Haha, if you took a close look at my front bumper, you'd see the paint chips EVERYWHERE! I don't mind too much though, it just means I DRIVE my car, it's not a garage queen like some. It's been winter-driven, rain-driven, mud-driven, tossed around corners in the Black Hills, raced, and taken across country on road trips. More's the love. :)

What's wrong with your bumper, blue?

BadlandsRacer

If people are feeling generous...

Mike's Entry

Click on the Facebook link above, and LIKE the picture. Note: you may have to like the TWM Performance page itself before you can like the picture.

Thanks in advance!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I posted it to my profile for you so check it out on FB! Very nice. :) Now you owe me, lol!

PS: I also hit the like button!

Last edited:

BadlandsRacer

I posted it to my profile for you so check it out on FB! Very nice. :) Now you owe me, lol!

PS: I also hit the like button!

Thanks a ton, JJ! But you gotta go to TWM's picture page and hit the like button there. ;) Liking the post on my wall doesn't help me out in the contest!