AWD BRZ STi 2.5-liter turbo reported to be in the works

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
fr-s_turbo.png

By Denis Flierl G+
AWD BRZ/FR-S/GT86 2.5-liter turbo reported to be in the works

A Japan magazine reports that a new turbocharged BRZ/FR-S/Toyota GT86 is in the works. Will it get the WRX STI engine?

If this report from Japan’s Best Car Magazine is accurate, we could see a new turbocharged FR-S/Toyota GT86 coming soon. Performance fans have been asking for a turbocharged version of the Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S, Toyota GT86 since the two-door sports coupe launched in 2012. The report from the Japanese magazine doesn’t mention Subaru, but says that Toyota is planning on building an FR-S/Toyota GT86 and it will be powered by a Subaru Boxer engine like the current model. We would have to assume that since the BRZ/FR-S/GT86 are built at Subaru’s Gunma plant in Japan, that Subaru will also produce the performance model in the BRZ.

2.5-liter WRX STI powerplant

This report from Japan’s Best Car Magazine comes via Motoring.com.au out of Australia. But what is interesting about the report, is that it says the new rear-drive coupe will be powered with the Subaru Boxer 2.5-liter powerplant not a 2.0-liter like the current generation sports car. The report goes on to say that the 2.5-liter Subaru engine will be the same engine that powers the 2015 Subaru WRX STI. If this is true, the new Scion FR-S/Toyota GT86 will have the 305 horsepower and 290 lb-ft of torque.

BRZ/FR-S/GT86 with AWD?

The new sports coupe is said to be in the works right now and is due out in 2016. What makes the report even more interesting, is that this new 2.5-liter turbocharged FR-S/GT86 is coming with all-wheel-drive and the Subaru engine will send all that power to all four wheels. The report goes on to say that the 305hp engine will be coupled to a new eight-speed automatic gearbox with steering wheel paddle shifters. This will be to make the powerful new coupe more fuel-efficient. The report doesn’t mention a standard gearbox which would be surprising if it wasn’t offered in the new high-performance coupe.

A new Toyota GT86 coupe has been seen testing on the Nurburgring which has led to much speculation about a turbocharged version of the sports coupe for quite some time. It’s been seen sporting the same body panels that we saw on the GRMN GT86 that was unveiled at the Tokyo Auto Salon earlier this year. That model featured a carbon-fibre vented hood, roof, deck-lid and rear wing. That model also came with a special lowered sports suspension. Inside it had polycarbonate windows, carbon-fiber front seats and no rear seat. 

Subaru and Scion release special edition models for 2015

Subaru has recently released the 2015 BRZ Series.Blue with STI enhancements and Scion just announced a 2015 FR-S Release Series 1.0 version with similar body treatments. But the two models still come powered by the same naturally aspirated 2.0-liter Subaru Boxer engine that produces 200 horsepower.

Sales of the sports coupe has wained

With sales of the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S/Toyota GT86 starting to slow around the globe, Subaru and Toyota may be looking to re-energize interest in the rear-drive sports coupe. Sales have been dropping off since the sports coupe launched in 2012, and even though Subaru of America reports the best sales month ever in August, BRZ sales actually fell 17.05 percent from the same month last year. So interest in the sports coupe is waining and Subaru and Toyota will need to spice up the sports car to keep fans interested.

Subaru executives have said there will be a new-generation BRZ which will likely be coming in 2016 as a MY2017. If this report from Japan’s Best Car Magazine is true, the new BRZ/FR-S/GT86 will come with a WRX STI 2.5-liter 305hp turbocharged engine and all-wheel-drive. This will make the sports coupe even faster than the 2015 WRX STI which is said to hit 0-62 in 4.9 seconds. If this report is accurate, the new turbocharged high-performance variant of the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S/Toyota GT86 that performance fans have been asking for will be coming soon. Stay tuned.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Why a 2.5L?....... :doh:

Either way....

Holy shit?

I need one?! :tard:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
The BRZ will get the 2.5 and the new STi.... well you'll just have to wait. ;)

NoVASTi

We do know that Subaru is doing their own thing with the BRZ, but things have been under tight wraps about exactly what.

Yeah, I'm not disputing that, otherwise I wouldn't have supplied that URL. Scion, though...their leadership says a blown engine is out of the question. They didn't even tapdance around the issue...they flat-out said, "nope, not gonna happen".

With the BRZ, I'm going to pretend I'm from Missouri, the Show Me state. Gonna have to show me the car before I believe that Subaru will upstage their flagship car by putting a 2.5L engine into the BRZ (and AWD). Sure, it would be nice to see, but it doesn't seem all that logical of a decision and the rumors (blame Torque News?)tend to fly every 4-5 months over a turbocharged version.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We should be hearing more at the start of 2015 from SOA on this subject.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
The BRZ needs a lot more power, that's for sure. Though I love AWD, they should keep the drivetrain RWD or at least continue to offer a RWD model.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It would be an option if anything. Regardless of choice, since i dont care, im pumped! Cant please everyone so please the people that will buy your shit! :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
It would be an option if anything. Regardless of choice, since i dont care, im pumped! Cant please everyone so please the people that will buy your shit! :lol:
You're so right.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Why add extra weight and change the dynamics of a chassis that was purpose-built for RWD? That's all I was getting at.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Curious to see the piston choice. :lol:

I couldn't imagine it being the same 2.5 engine. Wasn't there talk about 2.5 would be converted to DIT just like the current WRX along with EL headers for the new STi builds in the future?
The all new engine design

Honestly if they gonna STi their car lineups, they might as well add the option to drop in forge pistons. I'm sure everyone will fork the money for that :p It's an STi, build it like how it was ment to be built.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
They could always drop in the FA20DIT with more aggressive fueling and boost. I imagine that would fit the engine bay a little easier as well.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wes, youre late to the party man. :(