Blankie or wrap that sucker?

So what are the best ways to lower underhood temperatures and prevent heat soaking the TMIC? Should the turbo be wrapped in a blanket (weird) or shielded, or both? To wrap the down pipe, or not? Wrap the headers, etc?

It seems like there are many options and opinions out there, so I wanted to throw the questions out here and see what y'all think.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] did you ever finish your turbo blanket?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Don't apply that to anything hot like the turbo or downpipe. Use that stuff only on "cold" items to reflect heat away. I.E. The intercooler tanks or your intake pipe.
I suggest wrapping your turbo with a blanket and do the same with the downpipe. You can use header wrap on the downpipe as an alternative. You can use an aftermarket heat shield over most turbo blankets, though some don't need them ;)

Yea Gold wrap for the intercooler and the intake/box is good. I actually wanted to gold wrap and toss a blanket on the turbo, there's been threads around the web with before and after temps.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Like others have said:

-dei gold tape the intercooler and intake box
-wrap the downpipe
-wrap the headers if theyre ceram coated
-blanket on the turbo
-heat shield on turbo (optional)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I've got a thread somewhere on here where i discuss the DEI gold tape vs some other much cheaper options. I'm still planning on wrapping my IC next time its off in some silver mylar tape.

I've heard discussions about header wrap, and that it can act as a wick if oil is ever spilled on it.

The best way to reduce heat-soak....keep moving!