boost leak maybe?

301BOOSTED.COM

Inactive Vendor
so this has happened before and it all of a sudden fixed itself the last time but its come back.. it feels to me like a boost leak. i can hear the turbo spool but the car does not pull like it normally does..

unfortunately i dont have any gauges in the car to tell you for sure if its a leak or not.

i checked the hoses and such but couldnt find any visible signs of a leak. someone suggested spraying ether( brakleen) on the hoses while the car is running and the idle will rise if there is a leak.

they also suggested checking the recirculating valve but im not sure how to check that without just replacing it. (which might not be a bad idea anyway)\

any help is greatly appreciated. i do not like driving the car like this but i have no choice.
@Grinder34 @HolyCrapItsFast @Batmobile_Engage @IGOTASTi.COM

Hey guys! Seems like there may be some information that isn't on the table here. If you want to wait until Monday I'm sure you will have similar questions unless you can take your car in for service. But incase we are still working trough this question lets start with some simple screening...

You said it happens, "sometimes" and goes away?

Then its totally drivable otherwise with no cell?

Have you done any work to the car recently? new battery or anything? changed maps around?

What is the max psi you are hitting (3rd)?

no sputter?

have you checked the wastegate to see if theres something causing it to stay open (broken) ?

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
[MENTION=5626]301BOOSTED.COM[/MENTION] no work done recently. The car drives fine until i get into boost where i can hear the turbo spool normally but the car does not pull like it normally does. This problem has happened once before for a few days or so and fixed itself. As in i woke up one day and the car pulled normally. All of a sudden it happened again.

I did a few 3rd gear pulls and all of them were right around 20ish psi. The boost target stayed similar except for that one spike to 25 earlier in the day when i pulled in 1st.

The only mods i have to the car are a 65mm intake and a highflow catted dp with invidia G200 catback. Tuned at EFI Logics by Mikey Botti.

And thats all i have to say about that...

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i just got off the phone with EFI. they think it may be like a clogged exhaust. the car has a high flow catted DP can that still get clogged like a normal cat?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
That's the same thing I was told when my VF39 developed that wastegate port crack and couldn't consistently hold boost anymore.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
im going to try and get my car to them on Wednesday for them to look at it. hopefully work doesnt have a problem with that

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
i just got off the phone with EFI. they think it may be like a clogged exhaust. the car has a high flow catted DP can that still get clogged like a normal cat?
Highly unlikely.

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
lol nvrmind i found it. doesnt look like anyone is that close. i have a buddy of mine going up with me just incase i need to leave the car there

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
So i just left EFI. Have a cracked piston in cyl 4. Car is pulling timing to keep it in safe mode time for a new motor

301BOOSTED.COM

Inactive Vendor
So i just left EFI. Have a cracked piston in cyl 4. Car is pulling timing to keep it in safe mode time for a new motor

Sorry to hear that. How long before it can be torn down and rebuilt ?

Sent from the hands of 301BOOSTED.
We thank you for your commitment!
PERFORMANCE PARTS & TUNING
Email or Call for service!
(E) Info@301boosted.com
(P)301-500-0632

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Son of a bitch! :/ so sorry to hear that man.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Well i think my plan is to get a new shortblock installed by rallispec. They have a "street spec" block good for 550 and to reman the heads. They said it would take about a week. I dont currently have the funds to do this tho

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
If im going to tear down the engine i might as well start with a fresh one and start building.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Consult our vendors. They may be able to get you a built shortblock for a reasonable price.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What caused that?

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
How did they determine that was the failure?