GR Cherry's 2011 OBP Mobile Money Incinerator

orestes85

KILLER B, ETS 3576, RCE TARMAC 2s

Log Notes
06APR2012: Added links to individual posts on IWSTI for parts installation etc)
06NOV2012: Finalizing purchases for the build. This will be the final stage (I hope) unless I get good at road courses and decide I want to gut and cage the vehicle.

UPDATED 6NOV2012.

SpecOps_Header.jpg

THE TURBOTURTLE
9657862870_09ccb7647e_h.jpg

8836060975_943ac262b7_h.jpg

8836664420_23933aadba_h.jpg

First and foremost I would like to thank Matt and his team at Spec Ops Motorsports for all the assistance, advice, and wrist slapping they've given to me over the past 18 months. If any of you guys read this. Thanks!
8836037907_714b38f5a7_h.jpg
Second I'd like to thank Mark @ Bulletproof Automotive for the excellent service and helping me get the exterior modifications from Varis Japan. Bulletproof Automotive

I'd also like to thank Myles @ Racecomp Engineering for the customer service and recommendations on my suspension setup and making sure I had what I needed and nothing else. Racecomp Engineering : Home Page : 410-846-5407

8836682804_b0a97746fa_h.jpg
19OCT2011:
Picked up my brand new 2011 Sedan in Obsidian Black Pearl. I've got some pretty big plans for this car over the course of the next few years but I'll be taking things kinda slowly for a while since I'm pretty tapped out after the initial purchase

Driving it home was a blast - basically re-learning how to drive a standard. The clutch was a lot different than any other standard I've driven before. Its also the first manual transmission vehicle I've ever owned so I plan on making a tool out of myself for the first few months haha.

6432265043_3c7277718a_b.jpg

I got it home and promptly flashed it to Stage 1.

25OCT2011
Installed Cobb Adjustable Short Throw Shifter.
Installed Cobb SF Intake.

After getting the front of the car up on jack stands and locating the cam bolt hole trigger pin cable line assembly arm-a-majig and placing a hex key in there I pulled out all the stuff and ripped out the old shifter (i would SERIOUSLY recommend buying some c-clip pliers...needle nose did the trick though). Ran into 2 speed bumps. The first was the c-clip which was just being difficult. The Second was the reverse lockout assembly. I'm pretty sure whoever designed that was either a genius or a retard. Getting everything to line up correctly and then actually replacing the pin that you have to punch out to remove it is a huge pain in the ( Y ). Overall it took about 1 hour 45 minutes (being done by someone who had no idea what they were doing). I really wanted to get the downpipe installed tonight, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow. The guy is basically loaning me his garage for whenever I might need it. Really cool guy
thumbup.gif

The intake also went on. Turbo spools quicker and I feel like its got a bit more torque now...but could just be placebo. We'll see!

26OCT2011
Hit 500 miles today.
Installed the Cobb Downpipe today and took it for a little spin with the Stage 2 + SF Map. Turbo starts spooling just over 2k RPM. I was thoroughly surprised when i heard it start to whine at around 2100 or so. Install went pretty smoothly. Busted my face up on the transmission though while trying to remove the downpipe. Still have Front and Rear shifter bushings that I need to install and the Defi Red Racer boost gauge.

28OCT2011
Boost Gauge Installed. Really hated doing this. So simple...yet so aggravating.

30OCT2011
1000 Miles! Drove to Asheville, NC for Moogfest this weekend. Had a great time in downtown Asheville but most of the artists they had playing weren't really my thing.

31OCT2011
Went down to Epic Motorsports today and scheduled a tune for 0900 on 5OCT. Also having them whip up a Walbro pump and Grimspeed EBCS to throw on before we start tuning. Kinda wishing I had waited to go Stage 2 right now so I could have had a CBE/Headers on as well...but its only $150 for a retune after the initial $400 tune. Hoping for 300whp this week!
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

05NOV2011
Protune by Robbie @ Epic Motorsports; Wasn't able to get the Walbro or EBCS done. Pump is sitting in the car right now waiting for a home.
Post with Dyno Graph

08NOV2011
Happy B-Day to me. Installed Cobb Heat Shield and Red LED Dome/Map Lights.

09NOV2011
Windows tinted 35% all around and tail smoked out. Looks mean now
biggrin.gif

The Turboturtle: ver. 2.0 Rebuild underway

12NOV2011
Went to Southeast Faceoff. Met some cool guys and learned some good stuff.

13NOV2011
Southeast Faceoff Day 2 @ the Fayetteville Motorsports Park. Mostly saw an asston of beastly Evos running.

20NOV2011
Installed Cobb Front and Rear Shifter bushings. Trying to diagnose a scraping/vibrating noise coming from the shifter. I'm assuming I just need to remove the STS and grease up the ball and lower shifter arm thingy really well as I probably removed a lot when installing the rear shift bushing.

10DEC2011
Ordered Cusco Catch Can, Iridium Plugs, and a GS EBCS. Going to install them when I get back home from christmas on the 1st.

1JAN2012
Motor blew while driving home from vacation while using Mobil 1
frown.gif
Suspecting a ringland failure due to thick exhaust smoke and white smoke from the oil fill/dipstick.

3JAN2012
Confirmed that warranty work would be denied due to recent ECU reset, asked dealership to go ahead and perform a compression check while the car was there.

4JAN2012
Went to Cross Creek Subaru to pickup the car and see the results from the compression check. Dealer failed to perform the requested services and instead charged me for a diagnostic which they said "showed nothing, the codes were all cleared" after I told them not to bother because the codes would all have been cleared.

4JAN2012
Took the car to Epic Motorsports after I picked it up from the dealership. Had a compression check performed which confirmed that I had not 1, but 2 ringland failures (Cylinders 2 and 4 @70psi; 1 and 3 at 135-140psi). Requested that they get me a quote on an engine rebuild; said they'd email it to me.

4JAN2012
Took the car to Spec Ops Motorsports to check out the shop and talk with a few people about getting the motor rebuilt. Fujiwara sat down with me and we got an invoice for the rebuild right there. I was also able to talk with rek888v2 about the rebuild. Beginning AER Paperwork to have money advanced to me to pay for repairs and hopefully have the car in the shop by Friday.

06JAN2012
NSTR

24FEB2012
Car is at Spec Ops Motorsports. Motor pulled. Beginning engine build.

25FEB2012
Heads are off. Cylinder walls look good but it's unclear as to whether the piston rings caused it. Will be sending off to a separate shop for full dis-assembly of the heads and block as well as honing the bores and verifying that the heads are ok.

05MAR2012
Authorized Spec Ops Motorsports in Fayetteville, NC to purchase parts and initiate the rest of the labor involved in the building of the short block and replacing of the fuel pump and injectors.

08MAR2012
Paid invoice for motor rebuild in full

13MAR2012
All parts ordered and received by Spec Ops.

18MAR2012
Ordered an Invidia N1 Race CBE from Import Image. I've noticed a lack of actual photos/video of this exhaust on the 2011+ Sedans. As soon as the car is out of the shop and I can get this thing on I'll have plenty of photos and get some video of it on this main post.

06APR2012
Machining is finished. Motor is back at Spec Ops for reassembly, break in, and tune.

Will update phases as I get closer to making purchases and deciding on what I'm going to go with.

Current Setup
Engine
Engine Management: Cobb AccessPort w/ Speed Density
Exhaust Manifold: ETS EL Header
Up Pipe: ETS Rotated with EWG
External Wastegate: Tial MV-S 44mm
Turbo: Garrett GTX3576r, .82 A/R Tial V-band
Downpipe: ETS Rotated V-band
Exhaust: Invidia N1 Race
Intake: ETS 4"
Intercooler: ETS Front Mount
BOV: Tial Qs
Pistons: CP 99.5mm 9.0:1 Compression Ratio
Rods: Element Tuning H-Beam
Bearings: ACL Race Main and Rod bearings
Belts: Gates Racing Timing/Accessory Belt
Cams: GSC S2
Valvetrain: GSC Springs/retainers
Injectors: Injector Dynamics 1000cc
Fuel Pump: Deatschwerks DW65c (Soon to be upgraded)
Fuel Rails: Aeromotive
Fuel Lines: Aeromotive
Fuel Pressure Regulator: Aeromotive
Mounting: Torque Solutions Engine and Pitch Stop
Misc: Crawford v2 AOS, Spec Ops Motorsports TGV Deletes, KillerB Oil Pickup, KillerB Oil Pan, KillerB Baffle, Koyo Racing Radiator

Drivetrain
Clutch: Exedy Hyper Triple Disc
Mounting: Torque Solutions Transmission Mount
Bushings: Whiteline Rear Differential and Rear Subframe, COBB Front/Rear Stay Bushings
Shifter: COBB Short Throw

Brakes
Rotors: Girodisc Slotted
Pads: Ferrodo DS2500
Fluid: ATE Super Blue
Lines: Girodisc SS braided

Suspension
Coilovers: Racecomp Engineering Tarmac 2, 500F 550R
Endlinks: Kartboy
Sway Bars: Racecomp Engineering
Camber Plates: GTWORX
Wheels: Volk TE37SL Black Edition, 18x10 +40
Tires: Dunlop Direzza z1 Star Spec, 275/35r18

Exterior:
Varis Carbon Fiber Hood, vented
Varis Carbon Fiber Front spoiler
Varis Carbon Fiber Side Underboards
Varis Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser
Varis Carbon Fiber Splitter Fin
Varis Carbon Fiber Heat Shields

Last edited:

orestes85

Engine Build 1 Log:

This post will chronicle everything Post Ringland Failure with a suspense at turbo upgrade or a second engine rebuild.

18MAR2012
Motor is currently being rebuilt by Spec Ops Motorsports in Fayetteville, NC. Shortblock rebuild will consist of

Honed Block
Check Tolerances
TGV Deletes
Phenolic Spacers
Air Pump Delete
CP 99.5mm 9.0:1 Pistons
Element Tuning Rods
ACL Race Main & Rod Bearings
ARP Head Studs
Gates Racing Timing Belt Kit
Master Gasket Kit
Deatschwerks DW65c Fuel Pump
Deatschwerks 850cc Fuel Injectors

Block is currently at the machine shop for honing/tolerances/reassembly.

14APR2012
Motor reassembled. Awaiting break-in with a projected finish date of 10MAY2012

2MAY2012
Motor is completed. Break in miles complete. Awaiting some welding work to be done and the final tune will be made as soon as the exhaust is on the car.

10MAY2012
Final tune complete. 340whp/350wtq. Dyno graph will be uploaded and linked to shortly.

20MAY2012
Rear main seal blown. Back in the shop to figure out how it happened. Should be covered and I won't have to pay anything.

31MAY2012
Closing in on deployment time. Coming up with a final plan for what work I'll be having done while I'm gone so I can come back to a fresh car that's hot, fresh, and ready for the HPDE and Auto-x season next year. Really looking forward to getting in some seat time to improve my driving skills. I'm considering taking some money I've saved up and going to one of the 3-4 day schools.

17JUL2012
Invoicing a set of EL Headers (Either Killer B or Invidia), Killer B Oil Pan, and a Killer B Oil pickup. Expect to see some RCE Tarmac 2s in the very near future as well
naughty.gif
Still planning on the ETS rotated 3076 kit unless someone can prove to me that the 3576 would be a better choice for HPDE/autocross.

28JUL2012
Ordered Killer-B Oil Pan, pickup, and baffle

31AUG2012
Finished payment for parts and labor for Invidia EL headers, Crawford FMIC AOS, Girodisc slotted rotors, SS Braid Brake Lines, and whiteline rear dif & subframe bushings.

1NOV2012
Also got word today that the heads are back from porting/polishing and are sadly waiting on the previously mentioned cams.

List of stuff waiting to go on the car or what we're currently waiting on for the car:

Awaiting installation:
Invidia EL Race Headers
Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings
Whiteline Rear Dif bushings
Crawford Air/Oil Separator
KillerBee Oil Pan
KillerBee Oil Baffle
KillerBee Oil Pickup

Car is waiting on:
GSC S2 Cams
GSC Valves
GSC Valve Springs
GSC Retainers

Ordering this week
RaceComp Engineering Tarmac 2 Coilovers (500/550)
GTWORX Camber Plates

2NOV12
Racecomp Tarmac 2s and GTWORX Camber plates ordered!

4NOV12
Sent an email to Bulletproof Automotive in CA regarding a carbon hood and a carbon rear diffuser. Also shopping around for a new set of wheels and tires
lildevil.gif

6NOV12
Payment sent for ETS Rotated GTX3576r and the full suite of Varis items in the modifications list in the post above.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x683.

6781503784_32596f179d_b.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x683.

6929918643_439daf88a0_b.jpg

Last edited:

orestes85

Thanks. If only it were running right. Burned through almost 3 qts of oil since Jan. 1st. Hopefully the guys at spec ops will be able to get it running before the end of the month.

orestes85

Me either. Briefing Mom & Dad (CDR and 1SG) on the financial situation, hopefully, tomorrow. Barring any unexpected setbacks I really think I can get the car down to the shop by this coming weekend. They're trying to send me to WLC on monday though but I'm not ATRRS slotted so I'm probably not getting in.

orestes85

Didn't know they ever actually caught up with the demand for WLC out there. Usually they've got 2 slots open and about 100 people trying to get in.

Z1107

I need to get a free text program to spam you nudies with... I ain't giving out my phone number to people anymore... Random questions about car stuff at 0200 on weeknights make this face O_O.

I only text midday weekends! Lok

orestes85

Not more than 5 or 6 years older than me if you came in at 18 and went as an E4. I'm a little bit on the older side for a SPC. I think I'm actually older than Fuji.

orestes85

Talked with my 1SG today. Was told he's only 50/50 on whether or not he wants to sign off on the AER loan to get my car running again since he doesn't know if I'll be able to afford it. Gonna run by the AER office tomorrow to talk with their finance guys to get, in writing, how much I'll exactly owe per month and what my financial situation will be after the payments. I was really hoping this would be a "here's my bills, here's my LES. Thanks and have a nice day" and head over to the AER office and put it in the shop...if this doesn't get done soon then the car may not even get touched until next month. Alternatives would be trying to get a loan through a bank...doubtful since I just took out 25,000 to finance the car...but I'll be looking into other options soon.

orestes85

AER is automatically set up as an allotment (I believe it's actually a requirement). I'll have the option to pay additional amounts via online payments as well; when I'm on my next rotation this year I'll be able to pay it all off within a few months and still have plenty of money to spare when I return to get the suspension upgraded and maybe throw in a 20g as well. Worst case scenario right now is that my command team doesn't want to sign off on the money for repairs and the car sits until I either get the money saved up (doubt I'll have it saved up before I deploy) or I leave later this year and I have to set aside the money while I'm gone and have it fixed in 2013. The fact that I live on post and don't have a wife/kid(s) that rely on me for transportation is another reason I was given for the possibility of this not getting signed off on...nevermind that -I- require my car for transportation and don't really want to make payments on a car so I can ask other people to take me everywhere.

orestes85

I was considering doing that if it comes down to them not wanting to authorize the full 6300 (This is their main issue, the size of the amount I'm requesting). I have about twice what I need to cover the payments though, from what I've calculated (6300/15 mo repayment) so if I can even get 4000 authorized, I could probably foot the rest of the bill myself over the next 2 months...or swallow a massive amount of pride and call up my parents.

orestes85

Yeah...making that phone call to the parents would probably be one of the hardest things I could ever do. They'd do it...but I really do not -ever- want to ask them for money. It's below my last resort right now.