Cobb Accessport (?) VS. Open Source Tuning

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If there is a better location for it, feel free to move it. This first post will be edited over time. It will have newbie questions and whatnot. :tup:

1) What is Open Source EXACTLY?
2) What is the difference between Open Source tuning and Cobb Accessport (What type of tuning is this called? Off the shelf? Closed source? :tard: ) tuning?
3) What're the benefits and downsides of being Open Source?
4) What're the benefits and downsides of being Cobb Accessport tuned?

I know that Open Source is a cheaper alternative and that it offers more than something like the Cobb Accessport. Correct me if that is wrong!
Cobb Accessport has the simplicity of carrying it around and using it whenever as opposed to a Tactrix and a laptop.

So let's start with those and as we go on, I will be asking more questions. These should be fundamentally good enough to begin with. :tup:

I'm moving on to Open Source and leaving the Cobb Accessport behind me. That is why this thread has risen!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
AccessPort Pros...

- It is convenient when wanting to switch maps like switching between E85 and 93.
- It is convenient when monitoring live data and resetting the ECU.
- It allows you to temporarily adjust timing globally to diagnose or compensate for bad gas without having to create a tune for bad gas.
- Has a wide selection of professionally created maps
- Has a decent support community
- Download AccessTuner Race for free. AccessTuner Race is a great tuning solution.
- AccessTuner Race has live tuning.
- Cobb's approach to Speed Density is more logical and better implemented.
- I believe the AP V3 promises full FlexFuel capability (Not sure about this)

Cons...

- It is expensive especially when you consider both the cost of the AccessPort itself and a pro-tune.
- It is proving to be unreliable. Don't know anything about the V3 though.
- (My Opinion) I find it no more or less convenient than OS when tuning and flashing
- Expensive to have repaired
- It has a bunch of useless fluff like dyno or quarter mile and 0-60
- Cobb's head is bloated
- Cobb caters to a wide range of vehicle and I can't be certain that they have the capacity or the want to devote their time and resources to one car company. Meaning the support is spread thin IMO

Personal feelings...

I have fallen out of favor with Cobb. I feel Much of Cobb's knowledge came from the OS community.

Open Source Pros...

- Cheap. The cost of a Tactrix OpenPort 2 is right around $170
- If going for an OpenSource pro-tune there is no need for you to purchase anything other than the tune itself for $500. The tuner will have the Tactrix already. With Cobb you have to purchase 600+ worth of hardware first before a pro-tune and then the cost of the pro-tune itself. Your looking at $1100 in the end.
- All software is free and is constantly being developed and improved.
- Support!!! Huge knowledge base to refer to and a huge community of experts willing to assist.
- A great database of stock roms and custom roms.
- Many user developed tools to help you tune.
- Mostly hassle free and reliable. Some people complain of issues in the beginning but that is just because people don't know how to read or want to be spoon fed everything.
- You can log directly to the OpenPort 2 with out having a laptop hooked up.
- You can implement many user developed patches that open up or add features in the ECU like CEL light flashing when knock occurs and anti lag, FFS and L/C.
- Full FlexFuel capability being developed.
- RomRaider is developed for one car company and one company only... Subaru. The support and development is concentrated.

Cons...

- So you don't get all the fluff that you do with the AP. Get over it! :lol: You will get tired of it anyway.
- So you don't have the convenience of live monitoring or convenient rom flashing. Get over it! :lol:
- Internal logging to SD is rather technical. For advanced users only.
- RomRaider currently does not flash the rom to the car. You need a second software to do that like ECUflash. RomRaider is a rom editor and a logger and does have many features worth exploring.
- You need to know your source when downloading roms and flashing them. Anyone can post a rom both expert and idot alike.

Personal feelings...

I have heard someone suggest that OpenSource is riddled with buggy code and that transfers to your car. I want to just call bull shit because all the software does is display the existing tables already inherent in your ECU. Only when a patch is applied to a rom will the software have any influence on the integrity of the ECU code and the OS developers have a testing program that tests a patch before final release. If your car is not running correctly from an OpenSource tune then it is probably because you or you tuner does not know what they are doing. I have had 100% success with every OpenSource tune to date. If Cobb is so much better, then ask your self this. Why did they hire the main developer from RomRaider?

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If there is a better location for it, feel free to move it. This first post will be edited over time. It will have newbie questions and whatnot. :tup:

1) What is Open Source EXACTLY?
2) What is the difference between Open Source tuning and Cobb Accessport (What type of tuning is this called? Off the shelf? Closed source? :tard: ) tuning?
3) What're the benefits and downsides of being Open Source?
4) What're the benefits and downsides of being Cobb Accessport tuned?

I know that Open Source is a cheaper alternative and that it offers more than something like the Cobb Accessport. Correct me if that is wrong!
Cobb Accessport has the simplicity of carrying it around and using it whenever as opposed to a Tactrix and a laptop.

So let's start with those and as we go on, I will be asking more questions. These should be fundamentally good enough to begin with. :tup:

I'm moving on to Open Source and leaving the Cobb Accessport behind me. That is why this thread has risen!

1) Open Source is just developmental lingo that states the software uses a free license. Therefore, all code is accessible to anyone and everyone free online.

2) Open Source vs. the Cobb AP tuning is just that; Open Source uses RomRaider and its supporting programs on a computer to manipulate the tune and flash the rom to the car, and the Cobb AP uses ATR to manipulate the tune.

3) Great thing about Open Source is the community. Literally, you have MILLIONS of people giving feedback of any bugs/error, so they get fixed fast. I mean wicked fast. The Open Source community was the first to break ground on reverse engineering all of the ECU definitions so that we would be able to view and change them, therefore "tuning" our cars. The community also offers their roms online as well too. Downside, which I think has outlived itself with technology, is that you have to have a computer to run the program on. Now with Windows 8 and tablets, it really makes this process even more mobile. Yes, this is where Cobb was developed from. They found the niche market for creating a small handheld device which does the exact same thing. As for being Open Sourced tuned, it honestly depends on your tuner. See what they like working with best.

4) Unfortunately I cannot comment on this area as I am Open Sourced tuned!! But realistically the definitions between AP and OS are practically identical, therefore creating a practically identical tune between the two.

Again, I am Open Source tuned so I am a bit biased. When I bought my STi 4 years ago, I knew I had it in my mind that I would learn how to tune and monitor it religiously. This was easily done just by buying the Tactrix cable, instead of the investment of the AP. The OS community is full of knowledge and they just give it away, so go soak it up!!! Also one more kicker... How may upset AP users did you see threads for about the new release of the AP? Cobb offered an "incentive" to the existing customers to upgrade, but you wont see that in OS. We always have the best of the best. Just food for thought.