Died while driving. No codes no start.

Kingofkw

Hello all.
I’m In trouble. My 2011 sti stock sedan died on the highway after I was driving about 60 minutes. Everything functions as they should (lights&radio) Now when I turn the key I hear the fuel pump start , turn once more and I hear a click. No start. Not even an attempt to start. No codes are present.
Battery is good
Other than checking oil levels, I haven’t done any engine work since March of last year.
I was wondering if anyone could give me a starting point to start checking that would be great.

Had a mishap with my other car last night and can’t drive it I’m left without a car
Thank you in advance for your ideas, tips and suggestions.
J

Grinder34

Track Monkey
My guess: starter died. No engine movement at all makes me think that, but I'm no pro here.

Ever tried push-starting?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Hello all.
I’m In trouble. My 2011 sti stock sedan died on the highway after I was driving about 60 minutes. Everything functions as they should (lights&radio) Now when I turn the key I hear the fuel pump start , turn once more and I hear a click. No start. Not even an attempt to start. No codes are present.
Battery is good
Other than checking oil levels, I haven’t done any engine work since March of last year.
I was wondering if anyone could give me a starting point to start checking that would be great.

Had a mishap with my other car last night and can’t drive it I’m left without a car
Thank you in advance for your ideas, tips and suggestions.
J
Died---while driving---on the highway? Or you stopped somewhere, shut the car off and it wouldn't restart?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Do you have a multimeter/voltmeter? One of the first things I would check is, put your probes on the battery terminals and place the meter near the windshield where you can see it from inside the car. Battery should read ~12-13.5 VDC. Then watch the meter, turn the key and try to crank the engine. Does the voltage level drop off?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Off the top of my head, and because I'm not at home where all my documentation is, I can't remember what components are all in the circuit. But the first few things that come to mind are: degraded battery, degraded alternator, bad ignition/starter relay, marginal electrical connection between battery posts and battery terminals. I've actually had numerous issues with battery terminals over the years. In fact, the last thing I'm going to do when I finish my build is cut the fuckers off completely and rebuild the entire end of both cables. You would think that cleaning them up with a wire brush and conditioning both sides with dielectric grease/battery post conditioner would help, but I've had shit luck with it. In my particular case, there was enough of a connection to run the electronics in the car, but not enough to pass the high-current energy required to start the car or keep it running. Have had it die a few times over the years. Had to hop out on the road, pop the hood, spit on the terminal and get the hell out of dodge to a parking lot where I could clean it up nicely again. Seems ridiculous as there was little, if any visible corrosion on either the post or terminal, yet I repeatedly had the problem. Eventually, to temporarily remedy it I flowed some solder into the inner terminal ring with a braising torch. Absolutely crazy. I work in automotive electronics and not a single one of my coworkers (many of whom have been "car guys" longer than I've been alive) could believe it.

Anyways...end of rant. :LOL: Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:

Kingofkw

Sorry for getting back to my problems.
But before I get to that, thank you for your help. I have discovered the problem. While I was cruising down the highway at 110 km/h my STi stopped running. No warning lights, alarms, bells or whistles. Dead. After checking fuses, relays, battery and starter with no luck, I decided to take the oil pan off for a better look. I had previously drained the oil before the pan was touched.
Words could not begin to explain what I saw. I’ll attach pics if I can.
Metal chucks & aluminum chucks everywhere. Piston 2 was gone as well.
Heart breaking and gut wrenching. I somehow managed to keep the engine intact and lost no fluid. Even the upper coolant reservoir had pressure after 6 weeks.

Anyway, I’m declaring the engine as a total destruction loss and currently trying to figure out what engine to get, JDM, buy a block and build or scrap yard.

This car has turned me into a mechanic, slow and inexperienced mechanic so I’m learning on the fly. Fun times.
Thank you again.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Sorry for getting back to my problems.
But before I get to that, thank you for your help. I have discovered the problem. While I was cruising down the highway at 110 km/h my STi stopped running. No warning lights, alarms, bells or whistles. Dead. After checking fuses, relays, battery and starter with no luck, I decided to take the oil pan off for a better look. I had previously drained the oil before the pan was touched.
Words could not begin to explain what I saw. I’ll attach pics if I can.
Metal chucks & aluminum chucks everywhere. Piston 2 was gone as well.
Heart breaking and gut wrenching. I somehow managed to keep the engine intact and lost no fluid. Even the upper coolant reservoir had pressure after 6 weeks.

Anyway, I’m declaring the engine as a total destruction loss and currently trying to figure out what engine to get, JDM, buy a block and build or scrap yard.

This car has turned me into a mechanic, slow and inexperienced mechanic so I’m learning on the fly. Fun times.
Thank you again.
Damn. Sorry to hear this. Did the heads or valvetrain get damaged at all? If not, I'd suggest considering an IAG shortblock, or similar.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Damn. Sorry to hear this. Did the heads or valvetrain get damaged at all? If not, I'd suggest considering an IAG shortblock, or similar.
Then strip all the ancillaries off the old block to be cleaned up and reused on the new one, and sell the old bare block for a couple hundred bucks to someone that wants to refresh and rebuilt it.

Kingofkw

Thank you.
I haven’t gone any further than taking the pan off. Once I pulled out the rings, I stopped.
I’ve looked at a few options for blocks and I am leaning towards that route. I definitely would like something that will not have the same demise. I also don’t need to go over 350 - 400 hp I drive for the joy, not the race, so having 450+ would not needed.

Crawford or IAG our two I’m looking at already for blocks, and re-use as much as possible.
once I gather my data and weigh my options, I will make my decision. And pray I made the right one.

Thank you again.