Difficulty shifting into reverse issue

So for the past month or so it was getting progressively harder to get my Sti to shift into reverse. I would shift to reverse and be in 6th. Play with the shifter a bit then try again and it would eventually go into reverse.
Looking in the FSM I was thinking it was an issue with adjusting the cable for the reverse lock, which is what it seemed to be and that the FSM led me to believe.

I put it up on the rack at work to replace the shifter bushings and discovered and in doing so discovered that the shift rod bushings were nearly gone. I could see they were cracked with pieces missing on both sides and there was way too much play at the joint.

I called my buddy at the local Subaru parts dept and got the bushings ordered and they arrived two days later.

In order to replace these I unbolted transmission stop pitch, then the transmission cross member, stays and mounts so that the transmission would drop down about two inches. I used a jack stand to provide support the transmission.
This allows you to get enough clearance to remove the bolt from the rod. If you don't the floor of the car is in the way and wont let you pull the bolt completely out as the bolt head hits the side of the floor.

When pulling the bolt out of the rod, both bushings, which are plastic, disintegrated and the pieces fell all over the shop floor below. There was nothing left but the sleeve and some grease.
I cleaned the rod and joint, re-greased it, installed the new bushings and applied grease to them.

Install was the opposite of removal.

This fixed the problem of going into reverse and also got rid of some slop and shifting feels more precise now.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How many miles were on the stock bushings? I used to grind reverse until i got the kartbody short shifter and bushings.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok. I believe i had mine changed right around 90k.

The shifter I have is a kartboy as well. the shifter bushigns were fine, though I replaced them anyways while i was replacing the rod bushings.
The shift rod bushings are different bushings.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Just looked to double check. I had those replaced as well.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thank you for the post. Very informative!