Ecutek vs bench tuning

Piper86

Hi all,
Can someone please explain to me the difference between normal bench tuning of the stock ecu and using ECUTEK?

What are the pro's and con's?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm not sure what you mean by bench tuning but the process of tuning is no different with ECUtek versus Cobb or Open Source.

Both ECUtek and Cobb are a complete proprietary rewrite of the stock ECU but both have their own proprietary hardware to interface with the ECU to perform read/write and logging and real time functions. Though ECUtek does not do real time tuning yet. Cobb only requires the purchase of the AccessPort and licensing for the downloadable maps are implied and AccessTuner race can be gotten after you pay for a training course. ECUteck requires the purchase of their dongle but I am not sure if that also comes with the license for the map. I think that is separate. I am also not sure about the tuning software but I think you have to pay for that as well.

Open Source is a ROM editor that reads and rewrites the stock ROM with the new changes that you make. In cases like the CarBerry ROM and other applied patches, you can almost consider it a complete proprietary rewrite of the ECU but I don't know enough about that to know for sure. It requires a Tactrix OpenPort 2.0

In the real world it almost doesn't matter so pick you poison. I just go with the cheapest option because they are all good.

Piper86

By bench tuning I'm referring to tuning the stock ecu without any additional software
Sorry if i had the terminology wrong

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Hmmm... I'm not aware of any other method of tuning for these cars specifically other than using some kind of software to tune with.

Piper86

e6748dc85cd08e643bfccedd47ee185f.png

For example the above, the guys just tap into the oem ecu and make adjustments by using a combination of programs

Piper86

The correct terminology I was looking for is opensource th ing via ecuflash, romraider, sharptune etc

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Ahhh gotcha.:tup: So then my original post applies.:D

The guy above could only have used only one of the platforms - Open Source, Cobb or EcuTeck. Judging from the description of his options, he is using EcuTeck because only they have "map switching". With Cobb you need the AccessPort to switch maps. All three platforms use the stock ECU.