engine degreaser?

jswansti

Who can recommend a good engine degreaser? Im gonna do a full car detail in a couple weekends and my engine definitely needs to be shined up! Thanks for the input.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I think Detailers Domain has a bunch of stuff. Check it out... http://detailersdomain.com/autodetailing/enginedetail.html

I'm don't know any of those products so I just use Gunk. But not the lame foaming shit. I'm concerned about some of the aluminum and painted parts and some of the cleaners are very harsh and corrosive so be careful. The gunk is a petroleum bases degreaser and is no more harmful to aluminum and painted parts as oil is

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I think simple green is okay. I only ever used it once and I saw no ill effects on the aluminum parts. The purple stuff (If it is the stuff I think you are talking about) oxidizes the aluminum parts pretty badly though. It also seems to attack the tiny metal flake particles in many metallic paints. I assume these particles are also aluminum.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm not sure. It is an acid based cleaner though. I have noticed that simple green is good for getting the dust and dirt off of the engine and it is great for the rubber parts, but for actual oil and grease, the best thing that has worked for me is a petroleum base cleaner such as Gunk or something like that.

jswansti

Thanks for the input! Definitely staying away from acid based cleaners. I've heard some good things about Gunk. Will check out detailer domain site and see what they recommend. My intercooler and manifold need a good deep clean. My cars gonna be in a show may 30th so im trying to get her looking perfect!