Gauging Interest - "Mod" Meet in MD

ZackUSAF82

Hey folks, I've been trying to set up a "Mod" Meet for a couple years now but I can never get enough interest to go through with it. My plan is to either rent some garage stalls or find someone in the MD/DC/NOVA area that has enough space to sponsor an event where we just all meet up, I smoke up some ribs and pork shoulders and we turn wrenches on each others cars installing whatever you have that's feasible to do in a few hours. I know we have some tuners on the board (and I know a couple as well that might be able to come to this) so we could also potentially do road tunes as well if that is something you're looking for. I think it would be a blast but I can't do it without help.

First off, we need somewhere to do it. I've found some garages we could rent but they're not in the best areas of MD so if you have a suggestion here I'm all ears. Also, if you have space/land at your place and you can sponsor this it'd be great, that would make it nearly free vice having to ask for donations to rent garage space. The only suck thing is we won't have a lift (unless you have a lift at your place... ;)), but we can get by with jackstands and ramps for any suspension or exhaust work.

Again, just gauging to see if there's enough interest in setting something like this up, if you're interested please chime in. If you have suggestions of where to host this please let me know...and if you want to help out with setting this up/logistics let me know as well, I need all the help I can get. Thanks for your time!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm interested. No ideas for venue really.

ZackUSAF82

Awesome, glad you're interested. I have faith that I can find a venue but I really can't look too hard until I know how many are interested. So far I have you and another guy on another forum that's interested. Ideally we would want no more than 20 or so unless we have a bunch of skilled wrench guys (that's not me, I am mechanically inclined but limited knowledge wise when it comes to Subies) so we can make sure we actually get stuff installed. I'm not opposed to making it an all weekend event if we have a venue that is free/cheap. I'd love to see this happen, it's a great way to meet new people and to LEARN! Lord knows if I could do it I'd be installing all the stuff listed in my journal myself and not paying IAG to do it for me in a couple weeks...it would save me a LOT of money. Just some food for thought for those that are thinking about this.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What an awesome idea!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
An amazing Idea... I would offer my services as a tuner for free.

We would have to probably get people to agree to clean up their own messes and you probably don't want them to do anything that involves spilling fluids unless it is oil changes and maintenance. I would imagine there are liabilities that have to be ironed out.

ZackUSAF82

An amazing Idea... I would offer my services as a tuner for free.

We would have to probably get people to agree to clean up their own messes and you probably don't want them to do anything that involves spilling fluids unless it is oil changes and maintenance. I would imagine there are liabilities that have to be ironed out.

There are definitely liabilities. The two garages I've talked to already have stringent policies in place, they basically make everyone sign a waiver saying they are not responsilbe for any personal injury, damage to your car due to something you did (IE: improper use of lift, improper tool usage etc.) and you have to clean up after yourself or face a hefty cleaning fee. If we do it at someones place I will have my wife type up something similar so the property owner can rest at ease and not worry. I don't think we'd have anyone that would try and do anything stupid but you never know. I also am former military so I have safety and ORM ingrained in my brain so as stupid as it sounds, we'll definitely have a "safety brief" before we start working.

Really appreciate all the kind words and it's good to have some interest in this! Lets continue to discuss this and get the logistics figured out...and we'll go from there. Thanks again guys!