Hello from Spec-Ops Motorsports!

Spec-Ops Motorsports

Inactive Vendor
Igotasti members,

I just wanted to say hello and say we are privelaged to be part of the igotasti community. As of 1 year ago, we primarily specialized in Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution performance. Our local Subaru community had came to us asking us to get into Subaru's. To be honest, I heard Subaru's were nightmares to work on and I always thought before that the motor was a terrible design. Just never made sense to me that the pistons went side to side.....wth? :lol:

I knew back in March of last year that for us to get into the Subaru STI platform, we would have to find the right technicians that were knowledgeable on the platform to get us jump started and on the right path. We built, assembled and tuned our first STI(2010) in the fall/winter of 2010 before we ever decided to do them. I forced myself to tune the 2010 STI late one night after work. Myself and the owner grabbed 2 Monster energy drinks and started tuning on a Saturday night at 10:30pm and finished at 5:30am Sunday morning. From that point, we consistantly kept improving the tune. One night, the owner was out at the track and I was at the shop working late on an Evo till he texted me at 10pm at night and said he was at the track. I asked him what his times were and he said best time was a 13.1 in the 1/4 mile. I thought to myself "thats garbage :lol:". So, I packed up my laptop, hopped in the hoopty shop truck we just snagged up for free (long story) and drove to the track. When I got there I asked what tire pressure was, rpm he was launching at, etc. After we got just the tire pressure adjusted and I advised on how to launch and shift properly, the car went straight to 12.89 in the 1/4. Thats better.

Next was on to logging and tuning the 2010 STI. Keep in mind, this car was on 93oct. I threw the laptop in and logged for the 2nd run I was there for. I noticed we needed an afr adjustment and timing adjust for the loads the car was hitting in between shifts. After the adjustment, car jumps to a 12.71 in the 1/4 mile. I'm taking baby steps as this is my first time tuning for the track. Next adjustment, 12.63, next adjustment 12.54 in the 1/4. Owner is very happy and asked if we should stop? I said no and to give it one more good run. The car was not knocking a bit at this point and I wanted to throw a lil bit bigger adjustment and see what it would do. Next run, owner misshifted. We let the car cool a bit and then gave it another go. Last run....12.3@109 in the 1/4! It was a hell of a run and the owner was very excited. He did great driving the car and had a flawless run. Mods in the car were:

2010 STI w/stock vf48:
-Sleeved shortblock
-CAI intake
-AMR inlet pipe
-Walbro 255 FP
-DW 650cc
-Hallman MBC
-3" TBE
-ACT 6 puck

Since then, we have over 10 Subaru motor builds, lots of tunes and now have a HUGE selection of parts to offer to the Subaru community. Also, we have been testing one off turbo setups, now offer our own Spec-Ops EJ25 Blocks and have installed 4 of our motors with 2 more of our blocks being done as we speak. In our motors we offer different options such as Element tuning H beam rods, Different Piston/compression selection, sleeved or unsleeved and also offer other companies blocks who have allowed us to be a dealer. Those other companies include AMS(from Illinois), Element tuning, Crawford and Modern Automotive Performance (MAP). We also offer those companies built head packages as well.

Why the story? To let anyone who cares to know when or why we got into Subaru's officially, now you know. I truely believe that with proper parts selection and proper tuning, these Subaru's have ALOT of potential. I'm now a believer and have been tuning these since the 2010 STI. I believe in our mechanics/technicians to build assemble and my tuning ability now for the Subaru community. We haven't had one Subie burn up from our tunes/builds and firmly believe we are becoming a premier Subaru Shop for the community to come too. Once you see our parking lot, our results posted on our facebook and customer reviews, you kinda become a believer as well ;-) Our customer service is second to none and we truely value every customer/friend that comes to our shop.

Thank you for reading this and if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or an email!

-Matt

Last edited:

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
We're all very lucky to have your expertise in IGOTA and will continue to look forward to your future successes and accomplishments impacting the Subaru world!

Paul.c

It just goes to show how some tuners do it for money and some tuners do it because they have passion and love for cars, Subaru or any other type of car (except EVOs):-o

Spec-Ops Motorsports

Inactive Vendor
We're all very lucky to have your expertise in IGOTA and will continue to look forward to your future successes and accomplishments impacting the Subaru world!

Thank you sir! We are happy to get involved in a fresh new forum. We look forward to posting informative and useful information that the average Joe can understand. We have been privileged to be apart of a very good forum in the evo community where we could give back to the community as the community taught us alot and helped us become who we are. Very happy to be here. Some people will disagree with our theory on tuning and why we build our stuff a certain way, some will agree and learn from it. Thats the great thing about this country is people have freedom to make their own decisions. Its how you carry yourself in a disagreement and discuss the topic in a professional manner, which is the difference between a bad and a good forum. I can always improve and learn new things myself. We should all be here to be in it together and help each other out, to include SHOP to SHOP.

It just goes to show how some tuners do it for money and some tuners do it because they have passion and love for cars, Subaru or any other type of car (except EVOs):-o

Thank you for the kind words. I truely love tuning cars and its a passion of mine I really enjoy doing everyday. Always trying to find better ways and different mods that is worth the customers money well spent. We don't sell useless parts to make a dollar at our shop. We sell what works!

Very nice to read your story!

Thanks Scott! Can wait till you make a trip up here or we come down there to visit you guys. Lookin forward to it!

-Matt

Last edited:

Spec-Ops Motorsports

Inactive Vendor
Matt isnt lying either. Look at the numbers from my 09. hallman MBC, DW 65C Fuel pump and P&L Catback:

420275_389977734364992_125559120806856_1416935_1964799713_n.jpg

I went for years thinking the EVO's would always beat the Subies. I built all 5 of my STi's to be able to combat them. Matt was the one who showed me that the STi's have the potential, but noones ever really unlocked it before.

Thanks Gino. Couldn't do it without the car being put together right by yourself. Tuning and a well put together car tend to go hand and hand when both done right. Results speak for themself after that.

-Matt

Spec-Ops Motorsports

Inactive Vendor
Thats because you touch it Edwin.........You should only get in, or around, your car for 1 main reason. To drive it. Thats what your really good at.

-Matt

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Not to derail the thread.. but I would just like to say, while I may be Average.. my name isn't Joe, so I still won't be able to understand any of it. Just sayin'

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
The part of any conversation that includes any descriptive analogy or explanation involving the word "tuning" .. lol. It all looks like numbers and decimal points and a pretty graph that slopes upward or downward :p I watched you and Justin, and the most I understood was "smooth curves are good, bumpy curves are bad" hehe