High fuel consumption

Piper86

Hi all,

I drive a 06 Subaru WRX STI EJ25.
Modifications to engine:
Manley Forge pistons
Turbo back exhaust wit HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust muffler
TGV Delete has been done

The stock ECU has been mapped for the modifications that have been done. The car is responsive and drives well making about 177.3wkW.

Only problem is its heavy on fuel, I've tried resetting the car and creating a conservative driving learning curve. I'm still busy with that tank but it seams that i will only be getting about 360km from the tank which is horrible to me taking in mind its being driven below 3000rpm mostly.

What benefits will there be to having software installed and then mapped?
Most common software around South Africa is ECUTEK, and it very expensive. Will it be worth it though?

The car is used as a daily being driven at slow speeds, however of this current tank 190km of 245km has been freeway driving at 120kph (6gear at 3000rpm)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well, believe it or not 224 miles on a tank of gas is not so bad especially if you do any city driving and especially if you do any kind of modification. That is not to say that there is not room for improvement but unfortunately that is entirely up to your tuner and his ability to tune it for drivability and fuel economy. Something which is much harder to do than giving a car power and allot of the so called tuners out there just don't possess the skills or don't want to take the time to do it.

That said if you have a laptop, a tune need not cost you allot at all. All you would need to invest is your time, a wide band AFR gauge, a paid membership. We can provide you a complimentary Open Source tune and we will take the time to reach your goals as much as possible while maintaining a safe level of performance.

Last edited:

Piper86

So i did some long distance traveling this weekend, on the way back Today I managed to do 417km with 43l on the open road. Constant speed with a small amount of play in some twisty bits. Si i take it thats not to bad and about the best I will get out of her.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So i did some long distance traveling this weekend, on the way back Today I managed to do 417km with 43l on the open road. Constant speed with a small amount of play in some twisty bits. Si i take it thats not to bad and about the best I will get out of her.

Yes 259 miles is not so bad but it can improve. Typical mileage is around 280 miles (450km) on a tank of gas. I managed to tune mine for decent economy and I get 330 (531km) out of a tank if I keep it 65 mph (105 kmh) or less.

Some things you can do to improve your mileage with out first tuning it is simple maintenance. I recommend you replace your plugs and gap them to .028, Change or clean your air filter, Put a can of sea foam in the gas tank, Clean your MAF sensor and change your oil. Also check the air in your tires and fill them to around 40 psi. The ride will be harder but the tires rolling resistance should improve greatly.

Yes 259 miles is not so bad but it can improve. Typical mileage is around 280 miles (450km) on a tank of gas. I managed to tune mine for decent economy and I get 330 (531km) out of a tank if I keep it 65 mph (105 kmh) or less.

Some things you can do to improve your mileage with out first tuning it is simple maintenance. I recommend you replace your plugs and gap them to .028, Change or clean your air filter, Put a can of sea foam in the gas tank, Clean your MAF sensor and change your oil. Also check the air in your tires and fill them to around 40 psi. The ride will be harder but the tires rolling resistance should improve greatly.

Seafoam is an awesome cleaner. putting in one 1 oz. per every 16 gallons of fuel per Seafoam's website. Additionally, if you have an old beater laying around that has had poor service you can suck Seafoam right into the intake manifold through a vacuum line and have a pretty cool smoke show as seen below.

Not sure how Seafoam would work on our STI's though since I have not tired it yet. However, if you were to suck it in through the intake i would recommend doing an oil change right after as it could slip past your rings on the pistons and get into the oil.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How long before it stops smoking?

?Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

Lets say on a engine with a lot of carbon deposits I can make it around the block 2 times before smoke starts to clear... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its fun, we seafoamed @patgotasti STi a couple times! :lol:
Think we got seafoam crazy, we did like all our cars and flooded the street with smoke.

Piper86

Lol as funny as that sounds, I'm not familiar with the product called seafoam.
Will look it up a bit. Never seen it down here in South Africa though.
And yeah if it gets done it will be right before a service as liquid moly is very expensive these days