Installing OEM Struts

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Im going to switch back to OEM struts tomorrow (from coilovers). IIRC, its pretty simple. Three nuts on top, two main nuts/bolts down below (x4 corners). Then an alignment. Am I missing anything.

Last time I had air tools, is there any reason I might run into problems with hand tools this time?

I'll take pics and do a write up on how to install coilovers (i just have to post the pics in reverse!)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Don't forget the strut top nut.
Air tools would be quicker and helpful on the strut top nut but I don't see it as necessary.
Spring compressor for the fronts.

I'm going back to struts, as well. Can't decide on feal revalves and springs or going with something like gtworx/Bilstein like RCE offers.
What are going with?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
strut nut on top...i remember the nut on the coilovers, but i dont remember it on the struts. I seem to remember the top being covered by rubber.

What do i need to do with it? (Loosen to install then tighten? How much?)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Three nuts on top just hold the spring/strut assembly to the chassis. The strut top nut holds the spring to the strut.
I think it's around 45 lbs feet torque for the strut top nut.
Pass through sockets and a hex key to keep the piston from spinning. Air impact can do it without the need for hex key... at least it did for me.
Pull up the center of the rubber top hat. It's a dust cover giving access to the top nut. I'll get a pic.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Why you going back to struts?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm going to OEM for at least the winter. With the coils off the car I can more easily fix some issues I've been having, like the height adjustment set screw binding.

I can also find out what the spring rates are and trade in for something a bit softer, and clean/grease everything while they're out. I MAY send the koni inserts in for a rebuild. I think its been 3 years of DD that i've had them, plus at least one for the prior owner.

Thoughts?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good call. I was just wondering what the reasons where.