Interesting read about the Subaru EJ series of motors

Vermont

Here is the link to the article I am talking about have a quick read if you haven't already. http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_1103_subaru_ej_series_engine_tech/viewall.html

Some of things said by both Crawford and Yimi said are right on the money in my opinion. These motors are not inherently weak. It is the tune that is killing these motors off stock. Along with the massive amount of false information all over the net. One of the things though that I did not agree with is that the open source software is the cause for massive problems. That sounds to more like a business just trying to secure more customers and to force owners to use shops and "professionals" instead of doing it them selves. Most of which have no idea or proper training on how to tune EJ's, we can see this by the prevalence of motors going up in smoke that were built, installed and tuned by the same shop. There is no reason for this to happen. Any tune that a person pays for should be able to handle any situation that the driver may throw at it. Now if the driver decides not to put oil in motor or to run 87 instead of 93 well then we know who to blame in that case.

The main problem is so many of these tuner shops have no desire to give their customers reliable cars. After all why should they. What they have is a situation where they can charge for parts, labor of install and the tune and are being trusted completely by the owner. The owner has no idea what is going into the motor or what is going into the tune. The shop then sets the tune and/or the block to be a ticking time bomb so a year, maybe less, down the road the motor blows. Well who is that owner going to take his car to? The same people who built it. In which case the shop will just say that it just how the EJ series of motors are and there is nothing that can be done about it but to fork over another $7,000.....

/rant off

Last edited by a moderator:

microsnook

So you're saying most tuners who do open source, will be reliable enough for the drivers abuse?

I keep hearing everything about a good tune and don't know who to trust, who not to trust!

Vermont

It is not that Open Source Tuners are going to be any better than the rest, but rather that you should do as much research on the forums as you can about each a every tuner to find out there reputation and the shops reputation as well.

Down in your area the only people I would honestly trust for a tune would be Punisher Performance. I can attest to the fact that they know what they are doing.

microsnook

That's what I was struggling with, finding the right tuner. Justin did seem to know what he was talking about when I visited the shop. He was a real nice guy. I'll stick with them!

TurboDave

If could make a suggestion...I would recommend Titan Motors Sports in Orlando. They tuned my Speed 3 when I had it and I think they did a fantastic job, Cobb tuning told me to go there. Those guys build 1000Hp supras as daily drivers :lol: and there depenable believe it or not?? They really have a kick ass facility there I thought.

So you're saying most tuners who do open source, will be reliable enough for the drivers abuse?

I keep hearing everything about a good tune and don't know who to trust, who not to trust!

Vermont

If could make a suggestion...I would recommend Titan Motors Sports in Orlando. They tuned my Speed 3 when I had it and I think they did a fantastic job, Cobb tuning told me to go there. Those guys build 1000Hp supras as daily drivers :lol: and there depenable believe it or not?? They really have a kick ass facility there I thought.

From hat I know about titan is they are very big in the Supra and Evo communities. I have not seen much from them in the Subaru side of things except for a few builds here and there. Also I have no experience with what types of tunes or how reliable the subarus they build are.