GD Jswansti's 06 WRB STi

jswansti

Haven't been on in some time, pretty busy with work and other things. Nothing too new with the car. Changed my map from E85 to 91 oct for the first time in over a year. Cars running really well so far. Ive been on a modding hiatus for a while. Might get some new stuff for Xmas though. This is in the list:

Whiteline front sway and end links
Defi boost and oil pressure
In dash pioneer touch DVD player
Grimmspped front plate relocation

Jordan @defined: I gave my mom your info if she wants to get me some stuff!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Jordan's no longer a vendor on here :(

How's the car handle now with just the rear sway?

jswansti

Oh damn, i have been away for a while!

I actually got the car with the rear sway bar on already from the previous owner. It rides really well, but i dont know what it felt like before that. Putting a front sway on will really balance it out though i think.

jswansti

Had some recent work done on the car. Had to replace the power steering pump, that was no fun to pay for! Also got some brand new tires: Continental Extreme DWS. Tomorrow im getting a set of my BBS rims spray wrapped orange. It isn't permanent though.

jswansti

I guess it's most similar to Plast-Dip. Same concept and material basically except it's supposedly slightly more durable.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
i've literally never put ps fluid in a power steering system,I've done ATF in everything.. Is it common for cars to actually take it, or is it always ATF?

jswansti

Yes, i know not to run PS fluid, and run ATF. I was having issues a while ago, changed the fluid several times with ATF, replaced O rings, etc. Had two shops tell me it was failing and would need to be replaced over the past year. Finally had to do it. Upside is that i got a brand new OEM Subaru pump, i guess they redesigned them and are much better somehow now.

And no it is not Plasti-dip. Its similar, but gets applied a different way and also gets removed in a certain way. Here's the place that's doing it, and the spray wrap:
http://www.impactedwraps.com/#!spray-wrap/c1zym

jswansti

A little hiccup with spraying the rims, so I won't be picking them up until next week sometime. Hopefully have then mounted next Saturday, I'll definitely post up some pics when they get put on!

Gonna have my car emissions tested at lunch today. There's a really good chance it fails due to the Cobb dp, even though its catted. So I've set aside tomorrow to swap in the stock dp, go back and pass, then immediately swap it out for the Cobb. Luckily the emissions center is literally 1.5 miles from my place.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Why wouldnt you pass? You've got cats. Do they actually do a sniffer test out there since you've got OBD2? Even with the sniffer...you've got cats!

jswansti

Yeah, they run the car on a dyno and do an obd2 scan and sniffer test. They can also fail you on a visual inspection I think. I'm on a local co forum, and any upgraded dp, catted or not, has a good chance of failing usually. Unless you have an emissions tune or something from your tuner, which I don't have.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
They should not be allowed to fail you for an upgraded cat. In california, where they have CARB, ok, sure. But the rest of the country, you're allowed to replace factory emissions bits with other brands. So as long as it passes the sniffer test and has ANY cat, they should not be allowed to fail.

edit: about about 98% sure on this, so its possible that i'm wrong. And if im wrong please let me know...i like learning new things!

jswansti

Haha, I don't know the actual rules or regulations on failing someone for visual inspection. But I've heard stories about people passing the sniffer out here and being failed because they couldn't visibly identify the cats or something. I'm not too worried about the visual part, odds are I won't pass the sniffer, but I'll keep my fingers crossed!

jswansti

Here's the results:

8a7yre9y.jpg

Gonna install stock dp tomorrow, retest, pass, then swap back.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359751977.501507.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359751977.501507.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 48

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I didnt realize the DP made that much difference in emissions. I guess with the DP, comes the map which makes the difference?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Hmmm interesting.
Maybe the media or structure is such that it does not promote enough conversion of the nasties?
Maybe the stock elements are not efficient by themselves but in tandem they reach that efficiency?