Mark's Red & Black Beast....

Vermont

For those on here that know me this is my second second. I bought my first one, an used 2007 STI with 30,000 miles on it, back in February 2009. I had no idea what I was walking into...
5903090619_1731ce46e2_z.jpg

I then Decided I was Ken Block and preceded to show every one how much unlike him I was, when I slid into a telephone pole on a dirt road...
5903649094_3e769a7680_z.jpg

I sent the car to the shop under insurance and got it back a month later. Where in the springs a drunk driver in a Tahoe decided to drive on my side of the road. This was the end of the car...
5903091279_4ebde53b93_z.jpg

I waited a few months then went and picked up a brand new 2009 Lightning Red STI with 8 miles on it.
5903101647_cbb49c6d13_z.jpg

I am about half way to my end goal of a good all round daily driver and weekend warrior. I have only taken the car around the track at High Plains Raceway twice.

New pics of the Beast!
7578185772_3feff08fe4.jpg
7578182022_50b0b62d42.jpg

7578181512_71c3216bf5.jpg

Modifications

Power
Blouch Dom 1.5XT-R 8cm Hot Side (with custom IWG bracket from Defined Performance)
AEM Cold Air Intake
Megan Racing Catless Down Pipe
Invidia N1 Street Cat-back Exhaust
Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Controller
Grimmspeed Up-pipe with Ceramic Coating
Grimmspeed AOS
Tial 38mm MVR External Waste Gate (routed back into the down pipe)
Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump
Deatschwerks 850cc Fuel Injectors
NGK One Step Colder Spark Plugs
Perrin Turbo Blanket
DEI Gold Reflective Tape
Mishimoto Titanium Heat Wrap
Cerakote Heat Dissipation Coating on the TMIC
TIG Werks Oil Pick up

Handling
Tanabe GF210
Hawk HPS (front and rear)

Exterior
Subaru Sport Grille with Removed Subaru Symbol
Painted STI Chrome Side Trim
Painted Rear Subaru Emblem
5% Tint
Tinted Tail Lights
De-Badged Rear
Grimmspeed Front License Plate Relocation Plate
Lots of Stickers

Interior
Auto Meter Mechanical Boost Gauge
AEM UEGO
Alpine Head Unit
Two 10" Planet Audio Subs (inside an enclosed box for protection)
900 Watt Rockford Fossgate Amp
Shift Knob From My 2007 Wrecked STI.

Wheels and Tires
7578184296_90285528ca.jpg
7578183290_e0bbcf7d74.jpg

-Street Setup-
Stock GR BBS (Plasti-Dip'ed Flat black for now)
Stock Dunlops (for now)

2012-07-01_17-08-19_95[1].jpg
-Track Setup-
SSR Type F 18x9 5x114.3 +60 (Fits, just....)
Yokohama AD08 255/35/18
Muteki SR35 Lug Nuts in Red

6933048385_5605e9d538_z.jpg

Numbers

Dyno: Dyno Jet
Tuner: Me (With help from HolyCrapItsFast)
Wheel HP: 297
Wheel TQ: 351
Ambient Temp: 68 F
Elevation: Sea Level (ish)

The Dom 1.5XT-R
6786930944_83326be316_z.jpg

Future Modifications
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings - Purchased But Not Installed
Whiteline Rear Differential Bushings - Purchased But Not Installed
Coolingmist CMGS - Purchased But Not Installed
Subtle Solutions TMIC Air Spliter - Purchased But Not Installed (testing to be conducted as well)
AMR Hard Turbo Inlet - Purchased But Not Installed
Water to Air Intercooler - On Permanent Hold

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Subscribed. Hey Ken what's does it feel like to slide into a pole? :)

Undecisive

Man that was just terrible luck with the 07. I would've been angry. But atleast you have another one so hey there's a good point to the story!

Vermont

Subscribed. Hey Ken what's does it feel like to slide into a pole? :)

Feels alot like when I "slid" my pole into you..... :-o

@Undecisive: I was very pissed at said drunk.... Especially since he had no license or citizenship.... I am a lot happy with my GR over all.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Feels alot like when I "slid" my pole into you..... :-o

@Undecisive: I was very pissed at said drunk.... Especially since he had no license or citizenship.... I am a lot happy with my GR over all.

Well that felt awesome. LOL

Vermont

For every one wondering why I am going Dom 1.5XT-R instead of one of the 20G series turbos.

Here is why:
dom15vs20gxt.jpg

That is using a 20g with a 10cm housing and a 8cm housing on the 1.5xt-r. Topspeed is going to use a 1.5xt-r with a 10cm next and see how well it works.

bugeye_fever

Very intersting, I would very much like to see them both with 8 cm hotsides, and with the 20g-xtr thrown in for good measure. Will you keep us posted when they compare the 10cm hotsides together?

Vermont

Will do bugeye. Another thing to consider with the 20g series turbo is that tuners have been working with it for so long that, geting max power out of it is no problem. While with the 1.5 is a relatively new, so the majority of shops have yet to come across them. That makes getting power out of it harder. Another option I am looking at is the new borg warner efp series. Only problem is that they just came out and don't have any bolt on solutions for a STI yet. Also they cast an arm and a leg.

Casper86

I would have totally still sported it with the telephone pole damage, just goes to show that you actually put your STi to good use! showing battle scars with pride !

sucks that it got totaled though.

its all kosh. though cuz now your cruising a sweet red waggy STi

Vermont

So I just Installed the Walbro 255lph Fuel pump last night. Now I am throwing a P0463 and CEL...... The fuel gauge goes down to bellow E and the cel comes on shortly after. Says the code is for fuel sensor high voltage input. Funny thing is once I reset the ECU it will not show up for a while. Have to wait a few minutes it make it pop up.... Thinking of taking the fuel pump assembly back and to find out what is wrong..... I hope I didn't fuck up the sensor....

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Mark sounds like you either crimped the wire or the sensor got dirt on it. I have seen that a few times at the garage.

Vermont

Just pulled the whole housing and everything looked fine. I wiped down the whole assembly.... Hoping it is not the sensor inside of the pump. I wouldn't think so as the fuel gauge goes to bellow E when I have the problem. Was running it on and off and so far so sensor code. Going to keep testing it to see if it comes back. Any one know where the other sensor is? I know you have the main float sensor, and the black little cylinder looking thing on the bottom same side. Any ideas on a testing method to see if what is busted?

Vermont

Update- So After pulling everything looks like it is fine now. Went and did a log to see how everything worked out. After my IAM reached 1 I went WOT and logged it down, and I am glad to report everything went well. IDC was at 98.73% peek in 3rd gear. With the new fuel pump it dropped down to 95.35% peek. So I now feel at least a little better about driving the car. Next mod to do is to find some where to put my gauges. As I will be adding in a Cooling Mist Controller into the mix. Then once that is figured out I am going to install the Meth kit and tune it.....

Also I am going to organize the pics and write up the how-to tomorrow.... Should have the draft in your inbox by tomorrow night JJ.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Awesome. Glad it is working! Can't wait to see the writeup!

Vermont

Update- Working on my Deatschwerks 850cc injectors still. Will be finishing them up this weekend as I have been working my college registration still. Also another project I have been looking at to cut out my boost gauge, so as to make room for my CMGS gauge. Is the new Apex Spec C v1.0 (same thing holycrap is using). Looks to be a viable solution to my problem as I have yet to find any one who makes a A pillar gauge cluster for the GR.

Since I will also be having to re-tune the car for the larger injectors I think I will just start all over using a fresh tune. Using Airboys spread sheet I think I will lock down the MAF and the timing as well. Right now the car is just running on a modified OTS stage 2 tune.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If you need any assistance I am here for you!

Update- Working on my Deatschwerks 850cc injectors still. Will be finishing them up this weekend as I have been working my college registration still. Also another project I have been looking at to cut out my boost gauge, so as to make room for my CMGS gauge. Is the new Apex Spec C v1.0 (same thing holycrap is using). Looks to be a viable solution to my problem as I have yet to find any one who makes a A pillar gauge cluster for the GR.

Since I will also be having to re-tune the car for the larger injectors I think I will just start all over using a fresh tune. Using Airboys spread sheet I think I will lock down the MAF and the timing as well. Right now the car is just running on a modified OTS stage 2 tune.

Vermont

Update- Finished up the install on the injectors. They are good to go. No leeks and nicely seated. Got a new map on the car with the new injector latency. Only problem I have now is starting the car. Car is just plain old refusing to start. Will crank over then rumble like it want's to start but then nothing. After a few tries I got it to start. It immediately threw a CEL. So I turned the car off and pulled it using Learning View. Only one code showed up: P0340 Cam shaft position sensor A. Any one ever had any experience with this? Never had this problem before so i figure it is something I either hit or knocked loose while pulling shit off to get too the injectors.