Misfires / no thermostat

5doorsoffury

I am new here and usually start with a introductionew post but I really need help with this issue.

Car is a 2008 sti built motor with a borgwarner s259 turbo charger and full supporting mods.

So back story not to long after I had gotten my motor built it was running hot around 230 degrees hot. So I took it back to the shop that built it and a week later had the car back not running so hot but Luke warm to no heat but it was summer so who cared.

So eventually I started to get cylinder misfires and than cylinder 1 would only get them. After changing plugs coils injectors and a compression test I was still at the same problem. So I figured why I was looking for this problem that I could also look into the heating issue. So I brought a new oem t-stat and figured I would change it.

I pulled off the housing and to my surprise I don't have a thermostat just the giant o-ring sealing the housing. So I put the new thermostat in the correct way fill up the car with coolant and run it to try to bleed the air out of the car instead coolant just flows out of the header tank, so I shut it off add more let the car cool and do it again. The heats blowing scolding hot at this point and the accessport is reporting a 196 degree temperature at idle. Try to back the car down the drive way to and it's stumbling hard and now the temperature is at 201 and climbing so I shut if off let it cool down again and add more coolant. Go to take it for a drive and it's still stumbling and hesitating and running hot on top of that the Afr is now hitting 9.9 and causing the car to fall on its face.

I am not 100% sure if I bled the system right but I am also pretty sure putting in the thermostat shouldn't be causing me over heating issues and a horrible drive experience so something had to he wrong when I took the car in and that's why they removed the thermostat but I have no clue why.

Anyone here care to point me in the right direction I am tempted to just take the thermostat out again and just deal with having a car that misfires instead because at least than it was drive able but something tells me that they might be linked

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sounds like a tuning issue. What did they say when you took it in for the overheating condition?

?Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

SudoSTI

When you bought the car was it already built and/or have that turbo installed? The Borg Warner S series turbos are oil cooled only (I have an S256 :)). They could have jacked up your coolant system when rerouting to not include the turbo coolant lines which could cause additional air bubbles or places that make it difficult to properly purge the air from the system.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
What...the....@#$%?

Umm...SudoSTI might be on the right track already. But other than that, damn...I'll have to think about that one for a little bit.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
The two issues *could* be related, but I'm not really convinced yet. Once the coolant issue is sorted out, I'd limp it to a tuner and get on the dyno. [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] might be able to help you, but I don't know if he'd feel comfortable with you attempting to drive it hard enough to record a data log. No offense, but I feel like the people you got the car from did a hack job all around. :shock:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Over heating could also be improper valve timing and/or ignition timing or head gasket issues. It could have been assembled wrong and the fact that they removed the thermostat says to me that they are covering up something. The poor running sounds like poor tuning to me but it could be anything at this point.

The bottom line is someone has to look at this car in person. Also it is typical for coolant temperature to reach 212 when just sitting or moving slowly through traffic. The fans should come on between 195 and 212 and remain on till temps fall below that.

Question... do the fans ever come on? Did you do the compression test or did the shop do it?

Have a block test done on the coolant to rule out head gasket.

You could also send us a log and we might be able to point something out. https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/threads/213-Newbies-Guide-to-Logging

[MENTION=5944]5doorsoffury[/MENTION]