oil smell

kop7

hi guys , i have a 2010 wrx sti uk with a forged engine which i had to have the head gaskets done recently as one had failed into cylinder 3. anyway the work was done by a very reputable motorsport company and since ive had it all fitted back together when the engine gets warm if i give it some pedal when i pull up at lights i get a oil smell coming through heater ? i had the egr and tgv's deleted, decatted, fitted a cosworth intake. there are no oil leaks , turbo seems fine no oil from exhaust on boost . im running car oil level between half and three quarters because if i fill right to max it seems to smell worse . could it be something to do with engine venting ? thanx

Check your coolant to make sure your don?t have bad head gaskets. Also check your valve covers to make sure there is no leeks around the exhaust. Finally look under the car and see if there are are wet looking spots and if there is tackle it back to the leek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kop7

everything is fine no leaks anywhere and the company who did engine work builds race and rally car engines he wasnt cheap . one of the best in the uk. car has done 1500 miles now since work and when i first had it back i ran it for about 200 miles with 10-40 castrol with a base map on i never noticed any smell . then we dropped that oil put 10-50 millers nano in got it mapped properly and since then ive had the problem

Check the smell of your exhaust pipe. You might be getting some oil in the intake track that?s burning during combustion. Could also be turbo seals. Also can pull intercooler and see if there?s any oil in there as well.

kop7

I'm pretty sure it's not turbo seals as nothing is coming out back on boost . I did take cooler off and there was a little oil in it so I topped it out the best I could but I don't understand why I'm getting the smell or what's changed from before ? Could it be the get delete has made more pressure in the system and would a catch can help ?

Not t sure on that as my 04 sti has no EGR. Check the PCV valve, and a AOS would not be a bad idea. These motors do produce some blow by, but not enough to make oil smell. Would be interested to hear what a leak down and compression test would show.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
How long ago was the work done? If the builder is top-notch, I'd think they'd be willing to work with you to diagnose and make sure its not something they did wrong/by accident.