GD Ray's ultimate wallet PWNAGE!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I love autocross! Sounds like you had fun. :tup:

Paul.c

Sounds like it was a good time. But then again when isn't auto cross a good time? Oh yeah, 110 degrees in TX and it starts to sucks. Glad you had fun.

bugeye_fever

Ok, so back with the best part of the event:tup:
P1030881.jpg

Finally got the wifey out! Here's a link to her fastest run of the day: http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k609/bugeye_fever/?action=view&current=P1030878-1.mp4

This was her last run of the day, and second with HSL national champion Gwen Baake riding shotgun!!?? How freakin' lucky can you get?? First ever autoX and you get some lessons with a Mini driving master! I was soo jealous! I thanked her after the race for giving my wife some tips, and asked her how my wife drove. She used comments like "natural talent" and "not afraid of the car." Anyways, I'm super proud of her for coming out, her time would have been good enough for 2nd in the ladies class, but I had her in the novice class. After the day was over we did some fun runs so I could get a chance to try the mini out. It is flat astounding what this little thing is capable of, on 175 width A/S tires no less!?

Don't start getting worried now, I love the mini, but the subie is my car of choice! Still.. 15" slicks are chea.... NO! STOP IT! lol

She say's she had a great time but doesn't want to get to serious as to make it not fun, so I invited her to drive anytime she wants(she actually said she was sad she didn't drive the Subie on a fun run.) Maybe I can get her to warm tires for me at upcoming events. haha!

Paul.c

Lol, yeah, but its a dry heat!

Hell no it aint!!

Bugeye, that is awesome that you got your wife to race her mini. I am going to start racing mine next season, hopefully it is as much fun as the STi was. And SCCA is awesome as far as introducing and welcoming new people to the sport. Having a national champ around to answer questions is awesome. Or, in mine and Jared's case multi-national champS.

bugeye_fever

I think you'll like it man, obviously it won't have the power, but you can really just throw it around the track and it hardly gets out of shape. Love the steering too, don't have to turn the wheel much to get it around corners.

bugeye_fever

Ok, so back to my own car. Here are a few things I'm looking at for over the winter:

E85 Fuel System:
Injectors- FIC 900 Defined $400
Fuel rails- IXIZ IXIZ $235
Lines-
Pump- Deatchworks 300lph Defined $169
Pressure reg- Fuelab? AEM? Aeromotive?

I'm also considering ID1000's, or 5-0 1000's. I've pretty much decided that when I upgrade the turbo, I'll go to an 18gxt. I like the 20, but I really don't need that kind of power on E, and I'm trying to keep costs down, and engine longevity up.

Air-Water Intercooler:
Core- Type 14 Frozenboost.com $150
Heat Exchanger Type 118 Frozenboost.com $150
Reservor Ice Box Frozenboost.com $100
Pump Meziure Summit Racing~$200
Pipes-
Lines
Couplers-

I may end up going with a cobra pump, again to keep costs down, but we'll see. Another thing to think about is that I won't compete with the car much next summer. I've got a deployment that will take at least 6 monthes out of the best parts of the year.

Maintenance issues that need to be addressed. This should probably be at the top of the list.
1. Leaking oil seal at the front driverside axle. I have the replacement seals, but I am balking at getting that big sundial cover off. I've changed this seal once on a buddies car, but it was new style trans that you didn't have to take the cover off. I'm also a little woried about not getting it back on right and fing up the gear lash on the front diff.

2. Lots of top end noise, like tapping valves i'm told. I need to have the valve clearances checked, this isn't something I am comfortable doing, and I'm pretty sure whoever does it will want to pull the motor= big money at the dealership.

3. Leaking cam seal, this'll get fixed with the valve check.

I may just have to take her over to subaru of newbern, and bend over. I'm over there alot, lol, and should be making myself known. Maybe that'll help.

bugeye_fever

Damn near forgot. I read somewhere on here a conversation about a Speed Density hack for the 16 bit ecu? Cant remember, i'll have to dig. But I think that'd be nice, I'm basically about 100 wheel horse behind the guys winning SM around here, and I'm looking to maximize certain area's to chip away at that. If SD is a better way to tune, I think I'd go that route.

bugeye_fever

Cool man. Do you know about that ability in the 16 bit ecu? Could have sworn it was between you and TD, maybe it was between George and TD. I'm still looking.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Yeah - it was between me and Fuji - have a look, I posted the link 3/4 posts back ;)

bugeye_fever

Damn, halfway though and I've got to go to work! Looks pretty promising, but alot of it is over my head. I'll have to see what i need to convert. Who could tune it?

Td_d

Commander In Chief
There's also quite a couple of guys in the OS scene that have converted to SD (a group N 16bit hack has been available for a long time - the carberry is a whole other animal) - there's quite a number of tools on the Romraider forums to tune SD. The fundamental difference is that you're tuning volumetric efficiency, not MAF.

bugeye_fever

Cool, you guys are great help! Looks like i should put a tactrix cable at the top of my list, lol. I'm going to see if I can get smart on this stuff a little more. I've got some planning to do. If everything goes right it'll come together next spring, but we'll see. Thank you guys again!

bugeye_fever

Just returned from the dealership for a talk about fixing some leaks. Turns out I got to talk to the lead subie tech, who happens to be a local autoXer. This made me much more at ease with the whole process as I usually talk to a service rep who looks at me stupid when I talk about the issues i'd like them to look at. They're saying that book hours for a timing belt change is 7 hours, and that's what they'd charge me to do the seals. Its going to be alot, but being able to talk plainly with the guy who will be working on it boosts my confidence that'll it'll be done right. He said he'd also look into a few of the other issues I've got as well. Sounds good to me, I'm looking forward to having things right again.

bugeye_fever

Welp here's an end of the season update, Had the dealership do the work for oil leaks a couple weeks ago. Turns out the shop I had put it together installed the seals wrong. Several of the seals where not installed squarely into the head, like the correct depth on one side and atleast 1/8th inch to deep on the other! It was expensive, but we did a few other things as well, new timing belt tensioner and one of the little idler pulleys, new radiator hoses to replace the crappy silicone ones that where leaking. Hasn't lost a drop of oil since! Can't say the same about the coolant though, it seems the mishimoto likes to leak around the hose connections, maybe one day I can weld on something that'll work better.

Had the last AutoX of the year 2 weeks ago in Wilmington, had a great turn out, 90 cars. I finished mid pack, which wasn't real awesome but in noticed my outside front tire was cording after the first 3 runs. During break I rotated that one to the inside back hoping it wouldn't blow, and fixed my tire pressures(I didn't have much time to prepare as I returned from a work up late the night before, and I had the front and rear tire pressure settings flipfloped, major brainfart that ended with a car that would rotate..at all!) It helped a little but the tires where definetly dunzo, so I just have fun for the rest of the day. At least they made it through the last event.

Scratch all my future mod for quite a while, this winter I'm going to find some new(lightly used, lol) slicks and maybe, Maybe dial in a little more agressive alignment for the maybe 4-5 events I'll get to next year. I'm 100 whp behind the 2 leading cars in SM around here, which could easily be made up, but I wanna spend money learning the drive better instead, track day's or maybe an Evolution school if they do one on the east coast and I hear about it.

I'm saving for a bike to daily(gotta love NC) and a .45 carry gun for post deployment toys, then we'll see what new happens to the car. I've got a new long term track car plan for an LS something swapped Miata. A new BRZ or a Factory 5 818 are on hold for a looong time, lol.

Last edited: