How To: VA Replace a Clutch (Transmission Removal, Driveway Method)

cobbtunedsti

Ok.. So removing the engine is easier?? That don't make sense??? Draining fluids??

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I actually believe removing the engine is easier mostly because most of the work is done from up top and your not fighting with a 200lbs monster in a cramped area.

The only downfall I see to removing the engine is you have to drain the coolant and relieve the fuel system of fuel pressure.

frankensubie

I actually believe removing the engine is easier mostly because most of the work is done from up top and your not fighting with a 200lbs monster in a cramped area.

The only downfall I see to removing the engine is you have to drain the coolant and relieve the fuel system of fuel pressure.
think of it as a very in depth 60k svc with a new clutch :D i've wrestled a few six speeds in and out without a lift or trans jack...it's not fun ( solo btw ) assuming that an advanced type diy'er is doing it pulling the engine would be quicker. ( and an ideal opportunity to change the plugs, find or fix leaks , add simple bolt ons , get fresh coolant into the engine etc. ) and it's easier to do solo too... depressurising the fuel sytem is no big deal ,it's just stinky and messy...hats off to ya on the write up though..very thorough great pics, and lays the difficulty level right out there with the pro's and cons. and doing it on your back sucks !

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
no in hell is removing the motor to do the clutch easier then just dropping the trans... you guys are taking something that is super easy and making it a difficult task... you still have to do all the work of removing a trans plus removing the motor... minus a sensor the axles driveshaft and the crossmember

to drop a trans without a jack and on jack stands all you need are:

a piece of plywood a tie down and floor jack... screw muscling it...

if your a bigger guy and need some space like me... use truck jack stands... use the normal ones to bring it up a bit then when all four wheels are off the ground re jack it up to the point where you can use the truck stands... you will be ammazed at how much room you have after that

If your gaining access to the clutch by removing the engine then why would you have to remove the transmission also? All you have to do is separate it from the motor and leave it where is sits.

I could have the engine out of my car in under one hour. There is no way in hell that the tranny can come out in the same time.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Great write up Holy. I think after building 5 motors you have got it all down. Well done master Jedi. I bow to you my master. :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Much appreciated JJ!

I'm nothing special. Reks has many more builds under his belt than I do and I'm sure there are many others with the poetic license to comment here. I welcome any comments and criticism because I can always change the content to reflect better ideas.

For instance I'm contemplating Bubba's idea to use plywood and jack stands as an alternative. I just have to run it through my thick brain a couple times :tup: