Secondary Belts

jswansti

Hey all. Quick question:

For changing out the power steering and alternator belts, would you recommend oem belts, or does it really matter? I know some people say oem no matter what you're doing, I just can't see the benefits up front for just these belts. But I could be wrong! Thanks.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Gates is good stuff.

fallenone121

On Vacation
As I said on the chat when you asked - Gates Superstrong belts is definately what I would suggest :)

Hope they work out for you.

jswansti

Yeah, I searched for them after you suggested it so that's how I ended up with them. Thanks :D Finished the install about 30 minutes ago. It was super easy and my old belts looked like crap after 86000 miles. There's no real tension instructions I could find, so I made them taut, and will check them after some driving for any looseness to tighten them up again.

jswansti

Ha ha, a little bit of first hand experience there gino? Half an inch sounds about the amount of wiggle room I left.

jswansti

Recently i've felt some odd behavior in my steering wheel and I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on what might be the issue.

When I start the car its still pretty whiny, but not as whiny as it was before I changed the secondary belts. It seems like I can feel more road vibration in the wheel then I could before. Most recently it feels like the steering wheel is lagging a bit. Like when I turn the wheel, I can feel it catch a second after it should (sorry its kinda hard to explain). There is also a bit of a shudder in the steering wheel sometimes while im turning. Not all the time, but its noticeable when it happens. Could this be belt slip? I dont really know how you can tell if the belt is slipping or not; but it makes sense to me that if the belt slips you would lose power steering for a second and it would make the wheel shudder a bit.

At this point im starting to think that my pump is just quitting on me, but any advice or help is appreciated! Thanks.

ZachTTLM

Have you checked the fluid in the pump to ensure it is at proper level?

jswansti

Started a new thread about steering shudder and vibration. So far ive checked the fluid, looks like shit so changing it this weekend. Then we'll go for there if it doesn't fix the issue!

stiorbust

My smog pump made that whiny sound before I deleted it. I thought it was my powersteering but my car is an 08 sti

Grant Sampson via tap a talk