Shifter rattle?

jswansti

Hey guys, so a couple months ago I installed a Kartboy short shifter with the front and rear shifter bushings. About three weeks ago it started to rattle while driving in fourth gear, and now it rattles in almost every gear. I tightened things up in the shifter assembly and drove with the boot cover off so I could see what it might be hitting, but its not knocking against anything visible. I have yet to get under the car to check things out but is there anything else you could recommend to check/ tighten? Just sounds like its loose in the ball socket or something but it doesn't feel more loose when shifting and i checked its movement in the socket and it looked fine. Its starting to get really annoying and i cant stand it any more!!

boxtwo

It is likely one of two things.

1. If the sound is rhythmic, check that the reverse cable is away from the driveshaft.
2. Lockout cable rattle inside shift arm. There is a rollpin below your lockout lever. Tap the pin a few times in one direction, then back the other way once. What happens is that the cable end catches on the pin when you tap it in. That sets the cable end against the shift arm, causing the rattle.
OPTION: If you have a long flat screwdriver, you might be able to use that to pry it away from the edge.
3. Check that the ball is easted properly by pulling up on the shift arm. It should stay seated in the cup.

jswansti

Thanks for the tips! I thought I had secured the cable away from the driveshaft pretty well but i'll double check that and also try tapping the pin at lunch. I pulled up on the shifter and its seated in the cup properly.

jswansti

Im ocd with interior rattles so its driving my crazy. Gonna try the rollpin thing today. We'll see how it turns out.

kakarot09

I had a rattle for months. Tightened everything down again and it didn't help. Took it apart and regreaesed and retightened. Also didn't help. Eventually I found it. Where the reverse cable attaches underneath the car, the end slides over a pin, then a washer and a cotter pin hold the end on the pin. Well, the washer on mine was rattling. I took one of those plastic key covers they make for house keys, drilled a hole in it and put it on in place of the washer. It fixed my rattle. Damn thing drove me crazy for a long time though.

Rice Rocket

Yes. It works wonders. On the real, the way the kartboy ss is made, the actual cable likes to slap the inside of the shifter. If you put some high viscosity lube in there, the cable sticks to the inside wall and the noise disappears.

Nothing wrong with "lubing your shaft"