Smoking on start up.

13STI

I have a issue......Every time i start my suby up it shoots out a big puff of smoke? it only does it on start up, my friend says it might have something to do with the coil packs or spark plugs. If anyone knows a little more about this issue please type away!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
What color smoke?
Could be oil or condensation.
If oil there are a few things to look at.
I. E. rings, turbo,

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Coil packs or plugs are not likely to be the issue. :tup: What color is the smoke and does it smell like oil or coolant? A bad turbo or worn valve stem seals are among just a few things that jump off the top of my head. Just before my turbo shit the bed, this was happening to me.

I strongly recommend a compression and leak down test before you do anything. That will help to pinpoint the issue or rule out a bad motor.

DierwulfBL

As others have stated, if the smoke is blue its burning oil and a bad sign. Get a compression check done if you're super nervous, mine would spit a little blue out on startup if i hadnt driven in a week+. Mine ended up having bad compression in cyl 3 (for a unknown reason, but speculation is ringland). Also check your oil consumption, if you're getting more than a quart of oil loss between changes you may need to worry more and REALLY look into the comp test

If the smoke is black, its unburnt fuel(rich) and COULD be caused by a misfire, but chances are you'd be getting a misfire code for that.....