Some tire questions...

When I purchased my car two weeks ago, it came with a pair of summer tires with (in my opinion) some bad uneven wear. A single tire is bad. Eyeballing it I would say about a half centimeter height difference between inner and outer edge sloping inwards. Last weekend I went to Firestone and made sure I was aligned and balanced, and then rotated my tires. The rest of my tires are maybe 80% and worn evenly. While I do not feel any vibrations, and the wheels are balanced and properly aligned since last weekend, the car still makes a hell of a lot of tire noise. I plan on putting new tires on my summer wheels as soon as soon as winter comes.

Question Time:
  1. Am I going to damage my vehicle in any way driving on these tires for the next 2-3 months?
  2. Can someone explain how this could have happened? I have never owned a car with AWD, but if I recall correctly, driving on misaligned wheels will cause tires to wear incredibly faster with AWD.
  3. Favorite Summer tire? Some info about me and my driving: Daily driven, almost never drop the clutch or burn rubber, mostly just spirited driving around turns and the occasional pull. New tires need to have good rain traction to where it is safe to drive while driving conservatively, especially on the highway. My budget for new rubber is around $1500 or so. Currently eyeing Michellin Pilot Super Sport for lower end and Dunlop Direzza Z1 for higher end - I am concerned with how fast the Direzzas will wear down however.

Thanks!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
1. Potentially. Subaru has a max recommended tire difference.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

2. Someone had a bad alignment?

3. I have Hankook V12s. They dont have AMAZING grip, but they're pretty darn good. I've had them since early '11 and done MANY track days on them and they've still got life left. I cant speak about many other tires as I dont have experience with them.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i agree with grinder34 on 1 and 2 but 3 i have Michelin pilot super sports on my 07 STi and i had them on my 14 WRX. I dont have much experience with higher end tires but i drive much the way you do and i love these tires. and they are deff within your price range

Thanks guys.

Going to schedule an appointment with my local Firestone today and get some new ones ordered. Hopefully no more than another 400 miles or so until I can get some new tires.

I ended up getting the direzzas today. Sounds like I should have them on the car by Tuesday.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Sweet once they r on and you drive for a bit let us know how they are!

And thats all i have to say about that...

Just my luck. I heard an air gun used at firestone, bothered me but shrugged it off. When checking torque later this happened...pain in the ass

cf431648cd2915f7ccad2461723ed68e.jpg

On the bright side, I can call into work tomorrow to sort this out...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Geese they must have crushed it.

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Are the rear wheels any more complex than the front to do studs on? I've never done rear wheels before, but I figure it's easy because discs. After this quick fix I'm thinking next purchase is better studs and some quality lugs.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Better studs? I mean, other than the gorillas at firestone using an airtool probably set to 1000 lb-ft, the studs are fine. I'd replace the boken one, but wouldn't worry to much about the other 19.

There's about 5 that are most likely borked throughout the whole car, including the two broken ones on that wheel. I was thinking about ordering some taller lugs regardless, and since eventually I'll have to do one stud on at least every wheel, I figured i would see what those ARP studs can do.

Yeah studs are easy, I've just never had a car with disc brakes on the rear wheels, I was just curious if its the same process on the rear.

Tires so far are amazing. Full model is Dunlop direzza z11 star spec. I have about 200 miles on them so far. I got a chance to hoon around on some back roads and I can definitely tell a huge difference from my last pair. 80 mph over 30 mph turns feels about as safe as it can be, not even a chirp from the tires. At least not that I could hear...haha.

They are fairly noisy, especially above 70 mph, but this is expected and okay...because, race car.

I'll update again after I break them in a bit more, maybe a 1000 mile update if I can remember.

The rear studs are the easiest to do. Now remember the stickier the tire the less noise it makes when cornering which is also less warning before they let go.