Spied! Subaru FT-86 STi Coupe - Spy Shots!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We catch our first glimpse of Subaru?s upcoming new sports coupe in STi form! What do you think?

spied!-subaru-ft-86-sti-coupe.jpg

SLIDESHOW!!

Our intrepid spy photographers have managed to capture the first images of Subaru's STI performance variant of the upcoming FT-86 Coupe, presently being jointly developed with Toyota. Rumors continue to swirl about the car, with suggestions that development is delayed and over budget. Let?s stick with what we know?or at least what we can see in these spy shots.

The styling appears to be, well, not what you?d call traditionally beautiful. Fans of the first generation BMW Z3 Coupe (1999 to 2002) will love the stubby-looking, shoebox-shaped silhouette. For everyone else, this remains one really odd-looking car. At this early stage of development, we?re not certain if we should lambast the Subaru design department or send our congratulations to the person responsible for what could simply be some very misleading camouflage.

Aesthetics aside, the bump on the hood of this test vehicle hints at there being a high performance STI-spec powertrain lurking under the sheet-metal. A front-mounted intercooler can just be spotted in the lower grille opening. A 2.5-liter turbocharged flat-4 engine will likely power this 2+2 coupe?somewhere in the region of 300-bhp and all-wheel-drive seems a safe bet for the range-topping STI edition. A 2.0-liter flat-4 is the most probable choice for the base model.

The chassis is said to come from a modified Subaru Legacy platform, with suspension components donated from the smaller Impreza. Ever since the concept first appeared at the 2009 Tokyo Auto Show (as the Toyota FT-86 Coupe), rumors were rampant that the car would be rear-wheel drive. That might be true for the Toyota version, though highly unlikely for Subaru?a brand that built its engineering reputation around all-wheel drive.

Last edited:

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Given the changes that cars make from inception to production, I'll wait and see where it goes. I doubt it'll look anything like that at the end.

Deek

All the comments on the facebook post of this were pretty comical... lots of folks don't realize that they mask it all off with false panels and tape so in the event someone gets a photo of it (like this), the surprise element at the 'reveal' at whatever car show they chose won't lose its luster.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Trust me when I say this. Subaru isn't stupid. :)

Stiyle11sedan

The rearend looks like a IS300 or something...not really digging it

Z1107

I'm not disagreeing that a brz STi is in the works, SOA gave a late 2013 release date, but the article is old. That concept is GR parts which will be gone come May.

Z1107

Motor trend released the press release back in June where Subaru has modified the new 2.0 in the brz with a Subaru developed psi system ditching the Toyota version so they could turbo it. Power ratings are estimated to be 260hp 245lbs of tqe.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Just trust me guys on this. I know more than I can say. Wink wink.