sti_newbie 04 JDM STI

sti_newbie

Hi guys,

As you have already seen in my introductory thread, one of the subarus I own is an 04 JDM sti impreza.

This is not a build thread (yet) but since I have questions regarding different subjects, I thought it is better to post all here instead of posting new threads all over the forum. If you think this is incorrect just let me know and I will delete this thread and post individual questions in the relevant sections.

So here it goes.. I was coming off a stop yesterday, slam on the gas pedal, build boost and at about 4.5K rpm changed into 2nd gear. Car started to misfire. I have recently installed an innovate lm2 controller which showed I was running quite reach. I couldn't just leave the car in the middle of that place, so drove it back home. It was quite difficult to do so as it wouldn't like to idle and also not pick up revs. Started to get white smoke out the exhaust. Anyway, to cut the long story short, I found out that number 1 injector stuck open and filled my crankcase with 3 litres of fuel.

What do you think I should do? Order a new set of standard injectors or just purchase something bigger/aftermarket since I have plans of upgrading the power level in the near future? Nobody wants to sell me a used one, they want to sell the whole set but at that price+something more I can buy a bigger&new set.

Current mod list:
HKS equal length header
HKS silent full exhaust systems less downpipe
Custom made 3" downpipe
Fujita CAI with K&N cone air filter
Greddy ebc - **car was running 1.65bar when I bought it WITHOUT a tune :shock: so I turned down the boost to 1.35bar which I believe is the stock setting (correct me if I'm wrong)

I would like your opinion please.

P.S. English is not my first language so don't be hard on me if I do some mistakes

funk32

all those mods without a tune?? where are you located?

3L of fluid and it was still running? I would be worried about other damage, compression and leak down tests to make sure valves arent bent.

sti_newbie

This is what i thought when i first bought the car but really i didn't get the chance to do anything on it.
I do get some boost creep while building boost at about 3.5K
I'm in Cyprus, Europe - sea level.

Yes it was indeed. I believe its fine..

funk32

I have been to Cyprus for work.

yes I would work on getting a tune done once you fix the injector issue

funk32

I had a good time, was there for 2 months.

yes open source would be your best bet, the Cobb AP doesnt work on JDM ECU's.

sti_newbie

What are you doing for a living then?

I purchased a tactrix cable but haven't logged anything yet.
Also, i don't know the logic of standard ecus and haven't mapped a turbo car before but will see how it goes..

funk32

I would stay with stock size injectors until you can sort out the car, 1 injector isnt expensive, sound like you plan to do your own tuning so it isnt costing you anything other than time and gas to tune. Once you have the car tuned and running perfectly start upgrading things.

you can find single ones online, not sure if you have a subaru dealer in Cyprus but there are shops that should be able to order you the correct injector via a part number.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

sti_newbie

I would stay with stock size injectors until you can sort out the car, 1 injector isnt expensive, sound like you plan to do your own tuning so it isnt costing you anything other than time and gas to tune. Once you have the car tuned and running perfectly start upgrading things.

you can find single ones online, not sure if you have a subaru dealer in Cyprus but there are shops that should be able to order you the correct injector via a part number.

I don't like the idea of changing just one injector. That's the reason I was thinking of buying a set, and there is not much difference than a bigger/aftermarket set so I thought it might be better to go bigger at this point. I'm trying to find a used one but this proves to be difficult atm

sti_newbie

Is it possible to buy a bigger injector set and adjust "Injector Latency" and "Injector Flow Scaling" in the ROM and be done with it? or am I dreaming here?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION]

SudoSTI

If you install bigger injectors you will no doubt have to adjust your tune for them. How to do that I'm quite sure what all is involved. If you are planning on some upgrades that will require bigger injectors it isn't a bad idea as long as you can tune for it. I would be a bit concerned about getting 3L of fuel in the crankcase though as you very likely washed your cylinder wall which can cause some major scoring and issues.

sti_newbie

Let's see what othes have to say.

I am indeed a bit concerned but i'm not taking the engine apart "in case of" . If there is a problem it will come up later on..

Is it possible to buy a bigger injector set and adjust "Injector Latency" and "Injector Flow Scaling" in the ROM and be done with it? or am I dreaming here?

Yup... it is that simple, though getting latency just right could take some diligence. If the manufacturer published accurate data, then there is little to worry about. At that point you just scale and go.. You will need to log both idle and closed loop driving and a WOT run before and after to compare the two and make adjustments base on the results.

sti_newbie

[MENTION=5942]Real Auto Dynamics[/MENTION] . This is great news. Could you recommend me a manufacturer based on your experience that supplies accurate enough data with their injectors? By before and after you mean with old and new injectors?