Super whiny engine at start

jswansti

So its gotten super cold here lately, like -5? when driving to work this morning. When I start her up there's a loud pitched whine, and then a bit of screeching when I turn the steering wheel. After the car is warmer up, 7-10 mins, it goes away. I opened the hood while it was running today and it sounds like its from the belts right up front of the engine. Should I be concerned or just let it be since it goes away? Thanks for any info!

ZachTTLM

This is because the fluids are thick being that it is so cold and it is causing your powersteering pump to work harder to push the fluid. This is a normal thing for all cars, best thing to do is allow the car to warm up before driving it anywhere.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
On super cold days give her 15 minutes to warm up and you will be OK! :tup:

jswansti

Thanks for the replies! You guys just confirmed what I was thinking, and hoping. Just wanted to make sure! I usually wait at least 7-10 minutes before driving, but sometimes I sleep in a little too much and have to get out in a little more of a hurry.

If it begins to get really loud and shudders when you turn your pump is on the way out. I just had to get mine replaced when I lost powersteering. It started out that way and quickly got worse, and then died about 400 miles after.

jswansti

Thanks for the input! Im quickly approaching my 90k service, and if I get the gates timing kit for xmas i'll probably do the timing and service a bit before 90k miles.