Sway Bar Installation Advice

So in the next couple of days, depending on the temp. outside, I'll be installing new sways and endlinks on my '10 STI and I'm looking for any advice or suggestions y'all may have. I've watched the video: (http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php/1543-How-to-Install-Sway-bars-(08-)). What more do I need to know? Does the suspension need to be loaded or unloaded? Any hints on how to make things go smoother?

For more details, I went with Perrin 22mm front and 25mm rear (both adjustable) and Kartboy endlinks all the way around. I'm hoping to have a little bit of oversteer when I'm all done. :D

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Are you doing this on jackstands or do you have access to a lift?

sacnvz

Sweet! Let us know how it goes. I've been on the fence between the whiteline and kartboy endlinks.

Are you doing this on jackstands or do you have access to a lift?

No lift. I have jackstands, but the video I watched had the car up on the tires on blocks. It confused me, so that's why I'm asking about loaded versus unloaded.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The rear was simple. I did that in my driveway. Lift up, unhook endlinks, remove the sway bar from the brackets. The front is a pain in the ass. You have to remove the subframe to access the swaybar. I had the car on a lift for the front one.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
GR is easy. Even the greenest of noons should be able to do it.
I just swaybars on an 09 last weekend.. Perrin 22/22 f/r. Rallitek links.
I've done 'em loaded and unloaded. Loaded seems to work better but I always have to go back and tighten things or readjust.

I have kartboy end links and I am always having to go back and tighten the bolts because of popping noises. Mostly after a track days though.

I have kartboy end links and I am always having to go back and tighten the bolts because of popping noises. Mostly after a track days though.

Good to know. I certainly won't be tracking this daily driver, but I'll keep an ear out for any popping noises regardless.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Sweet! Let us know how it goes. I've been on the fence between the whiteline and kartboy endlinks.

Whiteline FTW! :rallydriver:

So I wrapped up the install last night, and everything went well. When removing the front brace that covers the sway bar, I discovered I might have a leak in my steering somewhere, so that's another can of worms. Front sway was pretty easy, and other than getting the rear sway in and out over the exhaust, I didn't have any problems. Took it for a bit of a drive to check for noise, and didn't hear anything. I haven't gotten a chance to flog it yet, but I did notice the rear wants to kick out a bit (which I like, though I might have to adjust a bit). I certainly noticed less body roll when I swerved, so I'm pleased.

I was frightened at how small the factory end links were and can't imagine why anyone could upgrade their sways without also doing the end links. Heck, if you're strapped for cash, upgrade the end links first as I imagine they're the weakest point in the system.

I did an oil change at the same time as well, and noticed that the filter I pulled out is larger than the factory filter I purchased:
IMG_1563.jpg
[MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION], did I get the wrong filter, or is this someone trying to increase their oil change increments? I did notice that I had to use a breaker bar to get the oil drain to release, so I'm questioning whoever has worked on this vehicle before me.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
So I wrapped up the install last night, and everything went well. When removing the front brace that covers the sway bar, I discovered I might have a leak in my steering somewhere, so that's another can of worms. Front sway was pretty easy, and other than getting the rear sway in and out over the exhaust, I didn't have any problems. Took it for a bit of a drive to check for noise, and didn't hear anything. I haven't gotten a chance to flog it yet, but I did notice the rear wants to kick out a bit (which I like, though I might have to adjust a bit). I certainly noticed less body roll when I swerved, so I'm pleased.

I was frightened at how small the factory end links were and can't imagine why anyone could upgrade their sways without also doing the end links. Heck, if you're strapped for cash, upgrade the end links first as I imagine they're the weakest point in the system.

I did an oil change at the same time as well, and noticed that the filter I pulled out is larger than the factory filter I purchased:
View attachment 6168
@TK-421, did I get the wrong filter, or is this someone trying to increase their oil change increments? I did notice that I had to use a breaker bar to get the oil drain to release, so I'm questioning whoever has worked on this vehicle before me.

The filter you bought is the correct part. The other filter works as well. Dunno what the other owner was thinking but I'd be interested to see the filter media and compare it in size to the OEM specd or other branded , same sized filters.
If there is an increase of oil capacity and filter media, this may be a neat option compared to the dinky others.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
How did the sway bar mounts look? I don't know about the newer STIs, but some of the older GDs will see a bit of warping in the mounts over time. I put in Whiteline sway mounts when I did the endlinks and sways.

How did the sway bar mounts look? I don't know about the newer STIs, but some of the older GDs will see a bit of warping in the mounts over time. I put in Whiteline sway mounts when I did the endlinks and sways.

Are you asking about the metal brackets that hold the poly parts to the car, or the parts themselves? The Perrin kit came with new Poly parts to hold the bar itself, and then I reused the factory metal bracket. The brackets were pretty stout, and I didn't notice any obvious warping (though admittedly I didn't know to check).

The filter you bought is the correct part. The other filter works as well. Dunno what the other owner was thinking but I'd be interested to see the filter media and compare it in size to the OEM specd or other branded , same sized filters.
If there is an increase of oil capacity and filter media, this may be a neat option compared to the dinky others.

Is there an easy-ish way to open this guy up and get a pic for you? Maybe cut it down the middle and get a cross section? (I don't know If that's even possible, but I'd be willing to try if it'd be helpful)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Metal brackets. It's good that the poly parts were changed out. I don't think it's anything to worry about. If they were warped you'd have noticed it. Stock end links warping over time is way more common.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Is there an easy-ish way to open this guy up and get a pic for you? Maybe cut it down the middle and get a cross section? (I don't know If that's even possible, but I'd be willing to try if it'd be helpful)

Cut around the top on the O-ring side, like opening a can of soup. You'll cut where the cap and can are crimped together. You'll pull the guts out and stretch the filter media out. Check out the thread I tagged you on about oil filters. Follow the links and you can see demonstrations of the process.
Only if you're froggy. I definitely understand if you don't want to but I do appreciate the effort!

Oh I can believe the stock end links would be a problem. They were surprisingly small for the amount of stress they must be under!