This one guy says i dont have to tune headers when i get them???

JuanSTI

so i was talking to this guy and i was telling him that i my car was gona be fixed soon but i was gona wait on tuning it till i got the money for some headers and he told me that i didn't have to wait and i could tune it and then install the headers and it would matter. he said the only things that really get tuned are the intake and turbo, he also said that exhaust didnt have to get tuned either. How much of this is true ??

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I would defnitely get tuned for headers. Especially if changing to an EL, but even staying with UEL, the higher flow and potentially different runner lengths of a new header can easily affect the tune.

Grinders right, also porting and changing the diameter of the OEM header will change the aspects of the tune. Do you already have an up pipe and turbo back combo as well?

JuanSTI

so this is pretty much what i got -

Tomei Arms M7960, TBE, GS Extarnaly gated uppipe, Tial MV-R Wastegate 44mm, GS Crosspipe (Stock manifolds not pnp'd yet), Manual Boost Controller, Perrin Inlet, KSteck short ram, 850cc injectors, 255lph walbro fp, TGV Deletes, Mishimoto Aluminum radiator with hose kit, GS turbo heat shield, GS air oil seperator, spec stage 2 clutch, group n motor mounts and pitch stop mount, and did a full tune up also new water pump, timing belt, new head gaskets, head studs, all oils changed, spark plugs.
recirculating bov, boost and oil pressure gauges

and im planing on getting the headers and top mount, GS ebcs and crank pulley

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
If you need to put them on and drive to a tuner, you'll probably be fine but of course try to stay out of boost. I installed my header and up pipe myself and drove it to the tuner without incident, but it's your call.