Tim's Twin Scroll 06 STI: Parts review, parts ordered and more parts to come

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I can try. I just used a tape measure and a piece of 12pack soda cardboard lol I must have taken it on/off a dozen times to trim and recut :p I need to take it off again to either bend it or enlarge the radiator mount holes. The radiator tabs look like they're stressed and aren't in the middle of the mount bushings. I'll try to measure and draw something for you though.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
So the fluid itself can be making it whine huh.... You're the man so I'll take your word :) Any ATF? Anything special, any good types? Granted, I'll be either getting it from aafes or on the German economy so probly not much of a selection.

Is there an easier was to bleed/flush than taking the bottom line off?? It's such a pita I REALLY don't want to mess with it.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
lol ok. I checked on post and all they had was automatic transmission treatment. Doesn't sound like what I need so I guess it's off post I go.

In other news, a buddy crashed his turbo'd cobalt ss. I'm "holding for now" his Tial 50mm bov and Aeromotive fpr. I went to put the bov on to check it out instead of the sport Q and the spring was too soft. I opened it up and it was the PLAIN spring. I opened my Q and it had the pink spring. I put it in the 50mm and it's too stiff...I'm lost now. Tial even says they use the same springs just different colors for different vacuums. It blows but only at a decent amount of boost. My Q will puff at 0 vacuum and under load.

How much would a good price be to buy the FPR? I have no clue how much they run used. They're $185 new.

i LOVE the build, question though, how close is your IDC from maxing out with the 1000cc injectors? I have really close power numbers, but using less boost and 850cc Denso's and my IDC is MAXED. Im looking to get bigger injectors to run e85 with more boost, just dont know what size to get.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Ya, I think my ID1000's hit 79% IDC or something like that but for E85, they wouldn't be enough. I'd max them. I've ran numbers and 1600ish would be a better bet. There is another thread about some 1750's that just came out but I'm not sure if they're compatible with my conversion kit :/

I wasn't looking in the right part of the store, I found ATF. Should I swallow $20 for Royal Purple or just go with $8 Pennzoil?

I went nuts with the bov's. I put his on (plain spring) and would open at idle. I put the pink spring is the 50mm and it was a little too stiff and didn't like it. I played around and put the Q's top on the 50mm bottom and vise versa. Turns out the Q's bottom is bigger and the 50mm's top is bigger so in doing so I pancaked the 50mm and enlarged the Q. I used the softer spring in the now pancaked 50mm; opened at idle. I used the stiff spring in the "enlarged Q"; opened at idle soooo end result: our STI's like the Q with pink spring more than anything else from Tial :)

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I'm running the T1 Racing Development conversion. The only injectors that fit are the ID1 & 2k injectors. I've even called Tony and validated it :/ Then again, that was over a year ago so maybe something came out?

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Are you thinking of the Ultimate Racing conversion kit? I don't know if they have any fitment limitations.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Found my leak in th power steering. Had nothing to do with the line I replaced! Can this be fixed or does it need to be replaced? It's leaking from between the line and the fitting, not from te threads.
7A7CB890-E32D-4F53-BF1A-B641A2AB554D-7083-00000C4F83E4DF3A.jpg

723D94A2-16A1-4ADC-A276-098FD04E3F1D-7083-00000C4F7CDA924A.jpg

Evo_Fucking_STi

I was thinking of a new ratio, but from everyone I talked to they said that if you do a quick rack or something of the like it will be to twitchy for Highway driving.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
doesn't q-rack have two different ratios? I think you'd be ok with either, but the quickest one will make highway require a bit more attention.

But on that note, wouldnt using the q-rack make steering MORE difficult without power steering assist? To ease the effort i'd think you'd want to go to a higher ratio.

Evo_Fucking_STi

Didn't the S202 have power steering? I am refering to manual steering with a quick rack. that is what the guy from quick racks told me, that it would be very touchy on hte highway.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
It wouldn't. I pulled the crossmember off and took the whole line off. The flare is smashed :( im going tomorrow to a hydraulic shop to see if they can repair/ reflare it. I'll check online how much a new one is.

Evo_Fucking_STi

From what I understand you don't have the power assist to smooth things out, it makes the whole thing less sensative. Manual racks are alot more sensative to little movements.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I am a complete noob when it come to anything hydraulic. I have no clue nor ever heard of the power assist. I love working on the car even when it gets frustrating cuz I like puzzles. That's essentially what a car is in terms of taking things apart and putting them back together. I've thought about a q rack but they're so damned expensive!

I'd have to see what a flare tool looks like lol and search on how to use it! :p

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Here is the line:
3304D10B-23AB-43F1-88FB-A2763A32022F-7379-00000C78EC7560F6.jpg

Good flare side:
B0B98962-51FD-4B6E-9BD3-A672AC7047A2-7379-00000C78F78D824B.jpg

Smashed flare, see how sharp the edge is?
A7127BD0-276A-44E1-BB2F-B54797BA1044-7379-00000C78FCED5DE1.jpg

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I just looked it up. The line is only $18.**. I might just order the line if they want to charge 30-40euro. That equals ~$50. Storage is $2/day so $20 + $3? shipping +($2/day * 7days) = $37. Then again with Sandy being a bitch on the east coast, it might take alot longer than 7 days for the package to get here :/

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I talked to a dealership and they said ?100 for a repair set. That's for the whole steering though. Idk why he would offer that when I sent him pics of my situation. Hes looking for the line I need off a donor they have.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Bump! [MENTION=16]STi FR3AK[/MENTION] We need an update!!!! :lol:

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Holy shit I didn't realize how long it's been!! Lets see, I ended up ordering some camber bolts to fix a broken bolt in the rear, then I ordered some Vorshlag rear camber plates as well. Install was straight forward but a pita.

I got a Hero3 Black edition and hero1 for xmas '12. I had issues with the 3 as it didn't like the 64gb chip. I actually just recently fixed it by updating the firmware on it. Around that time I had some fun in a parking lot covered with snow doing donuts from 1st thru 5th gear lol The car wasn't spinning any faster, just the tires but it was funny. I practiced figure 8s around bottles and did some 3rd gear slides for about 100yds etc. As I was doing the figure 8s the politzei showed up and I told them I wasn't used to the snow and that I wanted to gain confidence and that I have seen the Germany Army and fire fighters doing it. He was cool and basically said that the surrounding neighbors called me in for a noise complaint lol wwaaaaAAAAAAA!!!! Car is loud as fuuuuq. lol