Turbo Inlet hose - pipes running in

Piper86

Hi all,
I'm going to order my Perrin Turbo Inlet over the weekend.
My question however is with regards to the 5hoses/pipes which are running from/to the inlet hose.
With my current setup none of these are installed and they have been blocked off. A catch can is also installed on the car.
However i ant to reconnect all necessary pipes/hoses.

1. I'm familiar with the recirculation hose and its function. I need to purchase one still.
2. I'm also aware of the vacuum pipe for the wastegate solenoid valve, this is currently just been bent back and I will reinstall.
3. 4. 5. There are 3 more pipes coming out of the inlet. What are these pipes called, and what are their functions? I know the one pipe us running from the steel frame sitting in front of the I/C and the opposite side of it being connected to the catch-can but i'm not familiar with the terminology and function of it.

My coal is to understand the functions, reconnect whats necessary and then get the car tuned/remapped as its currently running vary rich, my guess being an air leak post MAF.

SDMotorworks

On Vacation
The one at the end of the inlet above BOV recirculation hose is PCV valve location, the other 2 up front is for the OEM hardline crank case vents that are on top of your valve covers on each side. The last one is an EVAP connections that goes with the sensor and vacuum port off intake manifold. Its the components and sensor that are hose right behind power steering area in front of intake manifold. Depending on what year you have there is different stuff there.

Also depends on what mods and brand you have, let me know and we can go from there. May be able to help you get the parts you need that will work best for you.

Piper86

The one at the end of the inlet above BOV recirculation hose is PCV valve location, the other 2 up front is for the OEM hardline crank case vents that are on top of your valve covers on each side. The last one is an EVAP connections that goes with the sensor and vacuum port off intake manifold. Its the components and sensor that are hose right behind power steering area in front of intake manifold. Depending on what year you have there is different stuff there.

Also depends on what mods and brand you have, let me know and we can go from there. May be able to help you get the parts you need that will work best for you.

Its an 06 (hawkeye) Impreza STI
Forge pistons
TGV deletes
HKS exhaust
Custom Map on standard ECU
Catch-can installed
And i will be installing the Perrin turbo inlet along with the AFTA/post MAF hose into the stock airbox and and a Cosworth panel filter

SDMotorworks

On Vacation
Its an 06 (hawkeye) Impreza STI
Forge pistons
TGV deletes
HKS exhaust
Custom Map on standard ECU
Catch-can installed
And i will be installing the Perrin turbo inlet along with the AFTA/post MAF hose into the stock airbox and and a Cosworth panel filter

Gotcha, the hookups i told you shoukd be right then. Most the AOS kits we deal with are Perrin, GrimmSpeed, and IAG. Depending on design of your catch can kit you may have lines at different places. But the catch can/AOS will connect to PCV and you will block off the turbo inlet hole that connects to PCV (In some kits you will block it, in others like IAG you might have a hose going to PCV valve and to the PCV valve turbo inlet connection.) The other ones up front on turbo inlet, one is wastegate/boost controller solenoid, one is to catch can/AOS, and last one is EVAP/Purge Valve which is the little black piece that has vacuum hoses and connects to intake manifold. You can delete the purge valve stuff as its just emmissions stuff but you will have to make sure vacuum lines are still ran right so you dont have a leak and get tuner to eliminate CEL if ones comes up for it, if you take it out. Easier just to hook it up like factory but your call. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Piper86

Thanks a lot
I understand the theory however don't know exa which ones are which.
Do you possibly have a diagram indicating this?

I'm planning ons also making a turn by the tuner to find out if he maybe has a few of these lines lying around.
I will post a picture of the current setup in a bit.

Piper86

8a62f580e8cc825f5c2c634bdd88f8cf.jpg

SDMotorworks

On Vacation
Looks like the turbo inlet you have doesn't have those lines so why add them? I can see your crankcase vent hoses and assuming the catch can is on the right side, I cant see it but see lines. The vacuum lines on the intake manifold that run to EVAP/Purge Valve are just connected to intake manifold. Why are you wanting to add them? Where are you located?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If I recall correctly, he's in South Africa. His car is RHD hence the brake booster and clutch fluid on the opposite side.

Holy shit! Bear with my on my explanation, but look!!! The black metal piece that connects to the TMIC (I think it's for venting), it's missing a hose that connects to the bend by the intake. If you're on your phone, zoom in. If you're on your computer, open the picture in a new page and ise CTRL + mouse wheel to zoom in.

Piper86

Yes South Africa and yes RHD.

I take it that you are finding a problem with the setup and that my catch-can is not installed correctly?

Are you referring to the steel pipe in front of the intercooler which has been blocked off? The block off has actually gone missing which i noted yesterday. There was a heavy oil/fuel smell in the car and I had to make a plan for the moment to cover it up.

I would like to change this setup because it has been done prior to me owning the car and the Inlet is a home made part, which is leaking air post MAF. So from what I have gathered due to this air leak the car is setting itself rich when you get a bit enthusiastic because its getting mixed readings. You can actually smell the richness on her.
So this is why I want/need to change the inlet and why it currently has no pipes connecting to it.

This Is why I have been asking what the connecting pipes are for and which are really needed because when I receive the new inlet I will be sitting wit 5 open ends which I will only have one possibly two pipes that I can instantly reconnect. All other hoses incl the recirculation pipe will have to be purchased as I don't have anything installed.

SDMotorworks

On Vacation
@Alin you are right sir, its been blocked off. @Piper86 the metal pipe that is blocked off is suppose to connect back to your turbo inlet. It should never be open or blocked off, that is your crankcase vent. Really wanting to know what brand is the catch can? You may want to highly think about getting an Perrin AOS or GrimmSpeed AOS for your car. Those are highly recommended to keep blow by down and oil residue out of the intercooler piping. As soon as you get the Perrin turbo inlet contact me on here or PM me and ill help you with connections and locations. If you need to order a Perrin AOS or GrimmSpeed AOS let me know and we can get one ordered up for you. We ship international and have good shipping rates. Def get rid of that Samco turbo inlet.

I can even see about a price for the Perrin turbo inlet if you haven't ordered it yet. Can get than and an AOS at same time, AOS are highly recommend on subies and def one of the first mods you should do when doing a build. especially built motor.

Reason for running rich is probably because you have the catch can ran wrong from the PCV valve and the ECU is thinking that air is coming back into the turbo inlet or intake manifold and it isn't. But the ECU has already added fuel to compensate for that air and when it isn't vented back you have more fuel than air mixture and run rich.

Post pics of the catch can and pcv valve so we can see where lines are running.

Piper86

f268664fd9b8cd1b2af646886dcc74dd.jpg

99e317a75a6c3e527b78cc97c6c65b56.jpg

So that is the setup, it has a t piece connecting the other breather pipe then it enters the catch can and the return from the catch can is run down the engine bay to atmosphere

ruan

are you still running the D1 Spec catch can? have you ever checked to see if the catch can works?

Piper86

Yes I am
Yes I have, previous service i checked it and it had some oil in
It has since been rerouted with the steel section on the TMIC removed. Now its running straight from the left header breather to the right with a single pipe t-piece then to the catch can
So i will be checking it again in December as it would have done about 4000km on this setup by then

ruan

Yes I am
Yes I have, previous service i checked it and it had some oil in
It has since been rerouted with the steel section on the TMIC removed. Now its running straight from the left header breather to the right with a single pipe t-piece then to the catch can
So i will be checking it again in December as it would have done about 4000km on this setup by then
Would you mind posting a photo of how the pipes are routed when you have time. I want to get the same catch can. The other import air oil separators are too expensive