Turbo options

Piper86

Hi guys,

So I would like some opinions and suggestions on Stock location, twin scroll upgrades.
Current ideas in mind include, IHI VF42, Garret ???, HKS ???(GT2835 is this stock location), Precision???, other???

Equal length headers and up pipe, Tomei???

Downpipe, are there any specifics required or can I just get it custom made locally?

Fueling I would like to move over go a flex fuel system (i.e. Delicious tuning???) and have the car mapped on ECUTEK, still in two minds about this.

The car and current mod status.
2006 STI
EJ257
Manley Pistons
TGV deletes
Perrin AFTA MAF and Turbo Inlet Hose
Custom built HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust (mid resonator cut out, still to be reinstalled)
Custom built 3" downpipe (exhaust currently is a straight pipe turbo up to the rear silencer)
Located in South Africa

The question is around turbo selection, what do you guys suggest that fit the criteria.

I'm after a clean stock looking engine bay.

Piper86

What flexfuel system are you running for the e85?
Ill read up on it,
Still TMIC?

We are limited in SA with good tuners and off the shelve products.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Hmmm....who here knows a lot about twin-scroll turbos? I'm drawing a blank, so I'll just tag [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]

Anyways, what is your power goal, Piper?

I'm assuming you're not shooting for big numbers, considering the VF42 and GT28 you listed. Personally, I really love GT30 turbos. There are GT3071's and GT3076's available in twin-scroll configurations (though I'm not sure if they are stock location). I have a stock location, single-scroll GT3071 on my STi and I love it. I feel that it is the perfect compromise between top end power and spool. If I were to go with a twin-scroll turbo, I'd probably go with a GT3076. 3071's spool up a little faster than a 3076, but a 3076 has a little more top end, producing up to 50 more horsepower than a 3071. My thinking is that a twin-scroll should spool up faster than a single-scroll. Thus, I'd choose the 3076 in twin-scroll as it would probably spool up as fast---or faster---than a single-scroll 3071.

Furthermore, a GT30 is not so large that you need a front mount intercooler. Depending on other mods, a front mount might be advantageous with this turbo, but should not be necessary. If you were to choose a GT30, I might suggest going with the largest top mount intercooler you can find. This will improve boost and throttle response greatly compared to a front mount. A top mount would be just fine if you were using E85 or even water+meth injection. I seem to remember someone talking about 98 octane gasoline in South Africa (I may be wrong about that). If you have high octanes available at the pump like that, a front mount becomes even less necessary.