turbo rebuild

irishdave

I just got my car back from Maxwell Power and so far, it seems like they did a fine job. Going on the dyno once break in miles are on the odo. Ive been thinking about turbo options, and was wondering what kind of performance gains could be had with a vf39 rebuild and billet wheel. Is it worth the money, or should i just save the extra money for a Dom 1.5 xtr? Any ideas or personal experience would be appreciated. Also, I'm not looking to make crazy power. 350 to 375 whp will make me :) I know the xtr is on a completely different level.

DierwulfBL

Here's a nifty trick for gauging power output.

On our cars it tends to be about 10bhp per lb a minute of flow from the turbo on 93.

40 lb per min turbo * 10bhp per lb = ~400bhp on 93

irishdave

I don't want to go front mount, so that six star turbo might be right up my alley. Plus, if i can get close to 400hp, then it is a way more econimical choice then, say, a dom 1.5xtr. Like half the price with a lower power band. Win win for me. Of course the Dom has more room on the top, but I would rather have the spool.

DierwulfBL

I'd go with a bigger turbo unless you are heavily into high level competition autocross or some race series where a larger sized turbo raises minimum weight etc etc. Just my 2 cents though