Types of carbon fiber

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I agree with this... I like VIS the most. Though Siebon is very nice it does come with it's problems. Mine had allot of stress cracks and sun damage. My friends VIS look like new after two years. Plus the weave on the VIS is much tighter and flows better IMO. But I do like Siebon also.

Im sure he took care of it. I wax my hood every 3 months and still looks like the day i got it. You got my intrigued about the weaving on the VIS though. Im gonna have to hunt a subie down that has VIS and take a look for myself! :tup:

Oh a question for you guys!

Whats the difference between carbon fiber and dry carbon?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
My subie has VIS :) plain beautiful. 3 years old, waxed twice since ive had it, looks new

Can you take some pics next time your ride is washed and its sunny outside? :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Im sure he took care of it. I wax my hood every 3 months and still looks like the day i got it. You got my intrigued about the weaving on the VIS though. Im gonna have to hunt a subie down that has VIS and take a look for myself! :tup:

Oh a question for you guys!

Whats the difference between carbon fiber and dry carbon?

I don't know but I know there are different types of carbon fiber and different ways to apply it. The real (and I mean real) carbon fiber that you find in things like sail boat masts, bike frames, race car structural components, airplane wings and others, are made from a resin impregnated weave of pure carbon fiber and pressed and heated into a mold to activate the resin and bond the layers into a shape.

The other stuff like carbon fiber hoods, trunks, dash board components and any other thing that is mostly aesthetic, they are made no differently than the standard method for making fiberglass parts. They use a dry weave and lay it into a mold and roll on the resin. This type of structure is no stronger than fiberglass. Often these weaves are nothing more than colored glass to look like carbon fiber. It is hard to find anything today made with real carbon fiber.

The other type is a very thin laminate weave which is used for aesthetic components mostly as the top visible layer and adds no structure what so ever. In fact allot of the carbon fiber stuff on the market is made with this type and then it is simply backed by fiberglass using a black tinted resin. It is real carbon fiber but it is for looks only.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Your last statement. Thats what carboncreations must have done. Cause it looks like shit even by looking at it.

So basically. These companies are good scammers?! :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I have 2 pieces from Carbign Craft and their stuff is amazing. Also my HKS Carbon Fiber exhaust is beautiful.

I think we should start a thread of all the different carbon fiber pieces and what each looks like install. :idea:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have 2 pieces from Carbign Craft and their stuff is amazing. Also my HKS Carbon Fiber exhaust is beautiful.

I think we should start a thread of all the different carbon fiber pieces and what each looks like install. :idea:

Start it!! I keep forgetting about my diffuser! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I love the profile/silhouette of my Seibon CF hood vent. But I've had it for almost 2 years and it's cracked
already, in two places. Smh...

It seems like every time I buy something CF, it's not long before I'm swearing that I'll never buy CF again.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I love the profile/silhouette of my Seibon CF hood vent. But I've had it for almost 2 years and it's cracked
already, in two places. Smh...

It seems like every time I buy something CF, it's not long before I'm swearing that I'll never buy CF again.

Pics please! I wanna see if its worse than mine. I bought mine with a crack on the scoop and 2 knicks from rocks. Ill take pics later.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Did you guys see the new thread I posted on carbon fiber?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!