WHAT PARTS CAN BE AFFECTED IF AN ENGINE BLOWS OR JUST GOES BAD ?

JuanSTI

JUST WANTED TO KNOW HOW MANY PARTS WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED IF THE ENGINE BLOWS OR JUST FAILS TO RUN PROPERLY?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
That probably depends on "how" it blows. Something catastrophic (like the timing belt going) could require a lot more parts than just blowing a ringland.

Alter3go

Grinder articulated that well. I personally never had an engine blow but remember helping friends inspect parts to salvage from a blown motor. It does definitely depend on where the problem lies after it has blown to see what you can and cannot salvage.

That probably depends on "how" it blows. Something catastrophic (like the timing belt going) could require a lot more parts than just blowing a ringland.

exactly. all depends on the nature of the blow (thats what she said). I would have to disagree on the timing belt going though. usually those will just fall apart and teeth will slip and the motor will shut down. worst case scenario is a couple of bent valves. if your talking about pieces breaking or melting or spinning a bearing those are a little more dangerous but you will never be able to tell the extent until you disassemble and inspect and go from there. did you blow a motor?

JuanSTI

im was just asking because my car is done and ready for the tune but my friend still thinks the oil pressure is to low its about 12-14psi on warm idle. he thinks i need a new short block.and he says i should drive it till it goes. ive read that 14psi warm idle is normal. i guess what i really want to know if the oil pressure is low and if i do need a new short block, how long do i got before the one i have goes, and maybe it all depends how i drive or something?