What's the intended purpose of sport cars having smaller diameter rims on the front?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Why do some sport cars have smaller diameter rims on the front axle? For example, 17's on the front and 18's on the rear. What is the purpose and is there an advantage that someone like me doesn't comprehend? I've only had FWD and AWD cars (actually that's a lie :lol: because I had a 1994 Toyota truck, which was RWD), but they've always had the same diameter rims on all four corners.

I understand staggered tires; smaller up front and larger in the rear. However, I don't understand smaller diameter rims on the front axle.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Aesthetics is my guess.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Found some answers/reasons.

https://www.lamborghinipalmbeach.com/blog/why-do-some-supercars-have-different-sized-wheels/

I don't know, though... I can't visualize an STi with 17" rims on the front and 18" rims on the rear. Then, you'd have to verify the sizing of the tires matches so all 4 wheels are the same size in the total diameter of the entire wheel. If grip is the aim, then you can just get wider tires for all four rims of the same sized diameter... I can't seem to find any WRX or STi owners who have done this during a quick search.

Edit: According to this, it would work, but wouldn't it be pointless?????

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 113