Wheel Fitment Issue

Vermont

So more on the saga of the SSR type F wheels (specs:18x9 +60, light drop on Tanabe GF210 springs, maxed camber on stock equipment, so about -2.0 camber all around). I got the wheels on the car. Examined front and back to make sure I had all the proper clearances, and what do you know they looked like they fit and with out the use of any spacers! Looked like I had about half the clearance of the stock ones from the rim to the strut and from the rim to the brake caliper. I toss all four on and of course take pics:
7510238824_fca2b77a57.jpg
7510238550_307f0eca60.jpg

7510237668_ba773ced0d.jpg

I then take the car out for a test drive to make sure everything is good to go, and sure enough problems develop. I only backed the car out of the garage and turned around, at very low speed mind you, and with the windows down I could hear a clicking sound (best way to describe it) as if some thing was lightly tapping something else while the wheel moved. Sounded like it was coming from the rear. It was non-existent under 5mph but at right about 5mph the clicking started up and increased with vehicle speed. I then turned the car around and re-parked it into the garage. I have not taken the wheels off yet to look for any markings but that is the next step, maybe tonight once it gets cooler out.

The question I have is any one think of anything from the rear that would make a "clicking" sound that coincided with wheel rotation (I.E. wheels spin faster and clicking increases)? When fitting the wheels on both front and rear I was looking from all angles to make sure the wheels were not touching anything that they weren't supposed to. So I am rather perplexed by this.

Attachments

• 2012-07-03_19-21-34_390[1].jpg
    2012-07-03_19-21-34_390[1].jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 54

Vermont

Almost sounds like the rears are rubbing on calipers. I have a slight clicking noise before I installed a spacer on my fronts and it was the very edge of the spoke hitting the caliper.

When I pull the wheels, would this show up as scratches or nicks so I can see where in fact the wheel is hitting?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Lenny, get them! Your wheels may work, but they're not designed to support the weight of your car like that.

Lots of places should have them online, and a few may locally too. I got mine from tire rack quickly and cheaply.

Vermont

Lenny, get them! Your wheels may work, but they're not designed to support the weight of your car like that.

Lots of places should have them online, and a few may locally too. I got mine from tire rack quickly and cheaply.

Ok so i am pretty sure i do not have the hub rings installed as i don't remeber them being on... would i be able to pull the hub centric rings from the stock wheels and use them?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Ok so i am pretty sure i do not have the hub rings installed as i don't remeber them being on... would i be able to pull the hub centric rings from the stock wheels and use them?

Should be able to do that. Make sure they fit tight and flush.

Grinder34

Track Monkey

The answer is "no" because the stock wheels dont have hubcentric rings. Their center-bore of the wheel is simply the same as the hub of the STI (56.1mm i believe)...hence, no rings.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
The answer is "no" because the stock wheels dont have hubcentric rings. Their center-bore of the wheel is simply the same as the hub of the STI (56.1mm i believe)...hence, no rings.

Yep you are right. I forgot about that. :tard:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
FWIW I did it through tire rack. My total came out to $12 for all 4. I think ebay might be cheaper but with Tire Rack i was sure i was getting the correct sizes in a quality material. Tire rack didnt even sell my wheels, but they could still look up all the tech info in their computer system.

Vermont

FWIW I did it through tire rack. My total came out to $12 for all 4. I think ebay might be cheaper but with Tire Rack i was sure i was getting the correct sizes in a quality material. Tire rack didnt even sell my wheels, but they could still look up all the tech info in their computer system.

Can you call tire rack or are they all online? As I just might call them up for the hubcentric rings and center caps..... fuck my life.... Is there anything else you have to get/replace when you get new wheels that we haven't mentioned yet?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You shouldn't need new centercaps. I believe the OEM lugs are the "tuner style" taper required for aftermarket wheels. Most cars have acorn shaped lugs that can cause harm on aftermarket wheels but I believe that is NOT the case here. Let's get someone else to confirm...otherwise youll need a set of lugs.

Vermont

Need lugs, I had no idea they could cause harm though.... As yes my lugs are acorn shaped.... damn dude. If I am going to get lugs and hub centric rings. I might as well get center caps as well since it does not have any and the whole is bigger (that's what she said :D) than my sti caps.

Vermont

Yeah I just pulled off my lug nuts(stock ones) off the SSR's and sure enough they scratched and nicked the area around the stud wholes.... Just picked up a set of muteki 35mm lugs. Hopefully they will fit and not cause me any problems. On the phone right now trying to find a set of hud centric rings for the rims as well. After that I am going to look around for some center caps ass well.

Vermont

So no callback from discount tire (weak ass shit), and when I called tire rack they informed me that since they do not carry the SSR brand they would not be able to get me any hub centric rings for it. Sigh..... Now I need to call a SSR dealer here in VA and hope they can hook me up.... fml

They could be a 73.1 a 68.2 there are a bunch of different sizes on all wheels do you have a vernier caliper? Measure it and we will get you the right part. I know the size you need for the suby but not the wheel.

I do not have a caliper. I had thought you would be able to look up the hub size for the wheel and then match to to the vehicle? I am going to give a place near me who deals in SSRs and try and get some from them, this is turning out to be one hell of a head ache...

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Soooo, call someone who knows their shit over at tire rack. I see that this section is sponsored by them...do we have a contact over there?

I have Volks and the nice gentleman i dealt with was able to look up the sizes, despite not being a Volk dealer.

Vermont

Soooo, call someone who knows their shit over at tire rack. I see that this section is sponsored by them...do we have a contact over there?

I have Volks and the nice gentleman i dealt with was able to look up the sizes, despite not being a Volk dealer.

Hmmmmm, that might need to be done, as I was told they would not have any of their parts or be able to get any. There is a place near me in Manassas that is an SSR dealer but they sound kinda vato, so idk....

Vermont

I will give that a try next. I do have some measuring tape so that should work. I will let you know once i get it measured. I will punch out one of the hub rings currently in the wheel and measure he outer ring of it.

Vermont

With what you just said I am super confused now. Take a picture with a tape measure on the back so we all can get a better idea.

Sure thing give me a little bit to find my tape measure. I currently have a set of hub centric rings on the wheels right now, but they are for a S2000 and do not fit the STI. I need to knock those suckers out so I can put in the new ones when I get them. Grinder said they should just pop out with some effort.