Wheel spacers

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Anyone have any thoughts on wheel spacers. Anyone have them and what size did you use?
Well, what are you thinking? I have lots of thoughts!

First: Go thin or very thick...no in the middle. There's a window where they don't really "work". By that I mean:
With thin spacers (a few mm), your wheels are still "hub-centric" and sit on a slightly smaller lip of the hubs.
With thick spacers (15-20mm?), the spacer sits on the hub like a wheel normally does. But it thenis large enough to have it's own "hub" for the wheel to sit on. just 15mm further out
With middle-ground spacers there isn't enough hub for the wheel to sit on and/or enough space for the spacer to have a "hub" of it's own.

Second: Many people will tell you it puts extra stress on wheel bearings and wears them out faster. That's true, it's just physics. I'm a bit skeptical about how much faster it actually wears anything out. Like if the wheel bearing was going to last 500k miles and now it only lasts 400k, are you gonna be mad? Or is the car gonna be dead before that anyways!

Third: You may need longer studs.

What else do you want to know?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Well, what are you thinking? I have lots of thoughts!

First: Go thin or very thick...no in the middle. There's a window where they don't really "work". By that I mean:
With thin spacers (a few mm), your wheels are still "hub-centric" and sit on a slightly smaller lip of the hubs.
With thick spacers (15-20mm?), the spacer sits on the hub like a wheel normally does. But it thenis large enough to have it's own "hub" for the wheel to sit on. just 15mm further out
With middle-ground spacers there isn't enough hub for the wheel to sit on and/or enough space for the spacer to have a "hub" of it's own.

Second: Many people will tell you it puts extra stress on wheel bearings and wears them out faster. That's true, it's just physics. I'm a bit skeptical about how much faster it actually wears anything out. Like if the wheel bearing was going to last 500k miles and now it only lasts 400k, are you gonna be mad? Or is the car gonna be dead before that anyways!

Third: You may need longer studs.

What else do you want to know?
Great reply, @Grinder34. I agree on the reduced life expectancy of wheel bearings and have personally experienced this. If the thought of replacing them every 40k miles doesn't bother you, then go right ahead.