wide tires for 08 sti

stiorbust

I am looking to replace the extremely worn BF Goodrich KDWs on my 08 sti. I plan on keeping the stock non bbs rims for now as I really like the rims and how they look. My question is. How wide can I go and if needed what size spacers. I will run them if nec. Here is the loaded question: What would you recommend for a tire? I ran the kdws in 2 feet of snow when new which was not ideal but had to be done. I live in Ct so we get it all and I would like to continue running summer tires unless there is some aggressive all weather tires out there. Let me know and the budget is around 175 per tire. Thanks for the help peeps
Grant

Vermont

Well you can squeeze 255s on the stock BBS with out much of a problem, and on the GR you will not need to run spacers to run a wider tire. So long as you stick with the stock wheel you will be fine. I think the biggest you can go on the GR on the Stock BBS wheels is 265. Not sure as I have yet too see that, but I have seen 255s and they fit fine. As for brand, meh i'm rocking sock dunlops that I pick up used on line for cheap.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You say you want a summer tire, but you want to run it in the winter...

While you seem to have done that in the past, I can't urge you enough to reconsider. Before i got my STI, durring the "snowmageddon", i actually had to help an STI owner get going. I should mention that this was a virtually flat parking lot, freshly paved at the beginning of the snowstorm. Once he got going I have no idea how he stopped, turned, etc... as he had almost literally no traction.

Another story:
Growing up i lived out in farmland and had a long driveway with a 90-degree bend. My dad's car was rocking summer tires, and there had been a SLIGHT dusting of snow the night before. When leaving that morning, he got to the 90-degree bend as usual, at maybe 10 mph, and when he turned the wheel, the car did not turn even an iota. He slid across the grass and hit a tree at 5 mph (for no damage), but that's how little traction he had!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=116
has some results for you.

I can't recommend any summer tires for winter driving.

If you have the garage space, I'd get a cheapo pair of wheels and any winter tires! It's cheaper than any sort of repair from a collision down the road! Plus you can get nice summers and not have to compromise with all seasons!

stiorbust

Thanks guys 255/35/18? I did drive in snomeggadon with these tires. Yeah it was rough. Guy in my group is selling the oem sti tires with 200 miles for $600 but Im not sure if I want them. I know that's a good deal. I would get winter cheapo wheels but I couldn't find them. I don't understand not driving with summer tires I skidded for over 200 yds and caught traction to.avoid going into a pond. It sucked

Grant evohntr Sampson

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Personally, i wouldnt get OEM tires. I think there are much better options.

For winter wheels, pick up a set of used rotas...potentially ones with curb damage. You can plasti-dip them or something to make them look good, and throw on some snow rubber.

stiorbust

Great idea on the damaged rotas and plastidips. Stuff works awesome on curbdamage ;)
As for new tire size 255/35/18? Thanks for the huge help

Grant evohntr Sampson

Vermont

For a winter tire go for 225s there is a much better selection at a much cheaper price, add in the fact that in snow and ice you want thinner tires so you can cut down into it. for a summer tire though, yeah 255s work well and can be rocked on the stock BBS wheels. Another option might be to put up a wanted add for the stock GR base wheels, you know the 5 spoke ugly ones, get them for super cheap ($300-400) then use them for winter wheels. You will have to use a 245 if you go that route but at least you will save a good deal on the wheels.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
do wrx/impreza wheels clear brembos? I didnt think they did, at least for the GD

stiorbust

I don't think a wrx wheel will clear brembos but I think a 17" will clear which seems crazy to me. I will keep an eye out for damaged rims as that will be my route. We all hit curbs so I can't imagine it would be too hard. I hope :)

Grant evohntr Sampson

Vermont

No... not base impreza wheels. Those are worthless. Base STI wheels. GR STI's do not come stock with the BBS wheels, they are a $2k option that you have to check. So what you do is find someone who did not get the BBS wheels and has the regular STI base wheels and buy them up. They are still wheels meant for a STI they just weigh a little bit more (5 pounds more per wheel) and look ugly.

stiorbust

Well as stated before I have the nonBBS wheels but mine are different than most of them. Not your typical ugly pattern. I get a lot of compliments on them. Just wish they were lighter
aeec049f-5d1f-e219.jpg

Grant evohntr Sampson

Last edited:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The difference between all seasons and summer tires is not only the tread patterns but more importantly the tire compound. Summer tires are only meant to be driven to a certain temperature. Below that temp, usually around freezing but my experience it is more like 50*f, the rubber becomes hard and lacks it's stickiness. Basically you would be driving on hockey pucks with zero ability to get traction and conform to any road irregularities. All season tires are more forgiving in cold weather and maintain a level of conformity in freezing temps.

Narrow tires operate better on slick roads, snow, ice or rain. This has to do with contact patch, flotation and some physics. (some will argue that wider tires will act as a paddle and float on top of the snow. This is true but a concept more reserved for offroaders in the backwoods cutting fresh trails. Another topic altogether. Now I digress)

If you look at summer tires vs. all seasons, you'll notice the designs are quite different. Summer tires tend to have large solid patches of rubber. Some have water channels running along the circumference, others don't. But very few have summer tires have the almighty siping. This siping helps aid the tire in griping the road during wet weather. In icey weather, they help to grip the ice by squeezing away that thin film of water on top and actually gripping the ice sheet below. It's the water film on top of the ice that's the killer. They also aid in conforming to the irregularities of the road surface.

In snowy weather the siping does the same job. But there is one thing that people don't think about, You want to pack the tire with snow to gain traction not completely slick it out but snow in tires aid in traction. Yes, this is contradictory to the belief of keeping the tread block clean. Think of your tire as a snowball and as you would pack more snow on the snowball to make a snow man, the snow sticks to itself aiding in traction. All of those little sipes and voids in the tread act as snow packing velcro. Go look at dedicated ice/snow tires, you'll get what I mean.

The afore brings me to dedicated winter tires. These tires possess compounds making them ultra flexible in freezing weather. The tires have tons of siping, large and small, and provide a level of winter performance unbeatable by even the all season. Winter tires will simply stop, go and turn far better than any other tire in winter conditions. However, they are incredibly whacky on dry/warm roads tending to be too soft and unstable.
Beware! winter treads will wear quickly if your winters tend to get warm and dry frequently throughout the season. And they can be spooky.

I drove my first winter on the summer Dunlops cause I had too, never again!! First icey sleet we got, I sucked the seat up so far I could taste the fabric. We only get a handful of winter weather per season here so all seasons fit my bill. I went with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are speed rated, m+s rated, quiet and ride well in below freezing temps. The tread has tons of those little sipes and voids for snow packing and ice gripping. Drove in 8 inches of snow without issues. Stop was good, go was good and steering was decent. Ice traction is decent, as well. Your car will plow and bottom out before the tire gives up.

IMO they give a good winter drive without losing too much performance in the dry. These would be a good option for someone needing one tire for year 'round service or someone experiencing winters with a broad range of weather, i.e. warm to frozen.

Hope this wasn't too long winded!

stiorbust

Wow, this info was amazing. Im gonna share this info with my car club as it could be very useful.

Grant evohntr Sampson

ICY STi

Grant the wheels I have heard about a lot of up here in Alaska is the Bridgestone Blizzak stud less tires. Haven't looked into them yet but I will this weekend since I finally got a house. These tires a fellow STi runner up here has used for the last three winters and they are still going strong. These winter tires rate better than studded tires. I'll look into them this weekend and give an update.

ICY STi

No not yet but it's supposed to start end of next month or beginning of October. 99% of the time there is snow for Halloween.

stiorbust

I had some goodyears that were badass with my old bugeye. These cars are so much fun with snow tires. Just blows since my current tires are so bald. I am hit on at least $800 so I.have to hold off on the snow for now. My buddy just bought a 12 wrx and was asking snow tires so I passed the link to him. I wish I could get them. Here are two options for me. Tell me what you think Charley
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R8K110XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5WR8PR1R&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Grant evohntr Sampson.