How to eliminate wheel hop from launching my Sti??

cobbtunedsti

I just recently launched my sti and it had mad wheel hop so I let off.. It spun all 4 tires.. Will this go away at the track or get worse??? I'm getting springs soon along with sway bars will this help.. Do I let it hop and ram it into second??? Any tips??

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Stiffening the drive line is what eliminates wheel hop.

pitchstop, engine mounts, tranny mounts and suspension bushing will eliminated wheel hop but nothing will stop the wheels from spinning except driver control.

cobbtunedsti

In that case I shouldn't have any at all.. I have the stiffest mts they make.. Beatrush Engine,Tranny,pitchstopper..
I think the road may have been a little bumpy..

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
LMAO do NOT mash the pedal and push through wheel hop, you'll be buying a new axle. I hopped a couple times but I think I launched too high on accident like around 6500rpm. I had to let off.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
In that case I shouldn't have any at all.. I have the stiffest mts they make.. Beatrush Engine,Tranny,pitchstopper..
I think the road may have been a little bumpy..

Well wheel hop is generally caused by either rotational oscillations due to looser components in the drive line or linear oscillations in the suspension components such as control arms and trailing arms. Do these components have after market urethane bushings?

The tires themselves could also be the issue. Lower profiles tend to be more resistant to hop.

Last edited:

SubieEngineer

FSS is not launch control...be a little easyer on the gas when you let it out...

And/or the clutch. I've never wheel hopped in the dry using launch control on a non-gritty surface (set to 4.5k). I've wheel-hopped a few times in the wet, and could control this by taking longer to slip the clutch at events.

SubieEngineer

The last time I staged or eased out on my clutch I just smoked it.

Sounds like you're slipping it too slow or have the RPMs too high.

Mind you, I'm no expert. I'm just basing this off using Cobb's LC at AX and the few launches I practiced for the 2 months before I flashed the LC map.

Rob

an easy launch technique is to hold rpms at about 3500. pull the ebrake up while holding th button to keep you planted. Start slipping the clutch until you feel the car start jerking a bit. Your in essence brake boosting at this point. Once the lights start falling dump the clutch and mash the gas in the 2nd amber light and youll be fine.

Using the ebrake haha why the hell would u use that.. trying to launch on a downhill :tard:

cobbtunedsti

The xtss will spin if I stage the clutch or release it slowly.. I've tried.. Now my tires spin when releasing it fast.. Go figure!!

cobbtunedsti

I want to take it to the track at least once.. I don't see why my car won't last a couple launches!!